collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 226
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ralf confirms he`s leaving Toyota  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Dare

Ralf confirms he`s leaving Toyota
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »

Ralf confirms he`s leaving Toyota
Monday 1st October 2007

As if you didn't see this one coming: Ralf Schumacher has announced that he will leave Toyota at the end of the season.

The German's future has been the topic of much debate of late with rumours doing the rounds that his days at Toyota are numbered. And Ralf has finally confirmed that the rumours are in fact true.

"Having been a Toyota driver in the past three years, I opted for looking for a new challenge," Ralf told his website.

Ralf joined Toyota from Williams at the start of the 2005 F1 season and had high expectations for his new team. However, in the three years they were never fulfilled.

"I joined Toyota with high expectations. On the one hand, I regarded it as a major and exciting challenge to be involved in the development of a new racing car," he said.

On the other hand, I also learned to like the Japanese style of living, during my long stay in Japan before entering Formula 1. And I still get on well with the Japanese mentality.

"But I am waiting for years for a competitive car.

"Toyota also was a nice and interesting experience - particularly the cooperation with the team, engineers and mechanics. Still, it's time now to look for a new challenge."

But despite announcing that he's parting ways with Toyota, Ralf cannot yet say who he will be racing for next season.

"I'm going to have several conversations in the coming weeks. I will announce my decision when the season is over," he said.

"For me, the financial aspect is far less important than the chance of being involved in the development of a car and being successful afterwards."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

Re: Ralf confirms he`s leaving Toyota
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
It almost seems like the Japanese metality of "fall on your sword" here.  It seems that Toyota might have given Ralph the 'honourable' choice of leave or be fired.

I know that is what I would have done with him.

Rom

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »
And Toyota's F1 budget has suddenly gone down by half! 

I reckon he could end up at Spyker or whatever they will be called next year due to his friendship with Mallya.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »

I reckon he could end up at Spyker or whatever they will be called next year due to his friendship with Mallya.
Now there's a challenge for him! :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »
Every time I read anything about Toyota's pathetic performance in F1 I am reminded of a comment made when they initially announced they would enter.  A journalist asked somesenior Toyota person if he would be able to match Ferrari's budget.  His answer was that Toyota had enough cash in the bank to buy FIAT not just Ferrari.  That is an incredible amount of money.  Shame they don't seem to be able to make a decent F1 team out of it.

BTW
If anyone from Toyota is reading this.  Sacking Mike Gascoyne was stupid.  Really really stupid.  I hopr that was of some help.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40899

Toyota have put out a message saying that they accept his decision.

Interesting that Ralf won't talk about his future until the season is over and neither will Alex Wurz.  Are they in any way connected?

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »
No, not again.  Please let it not be that he is returning to Williams. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 05:46:26 PM »
Interesting that Ralf won't talk about his future until the season is over and neither will Alex Wurz.  Are they in any way connected?

I don't think Ralf has an F1 future to talk about. Sadly, I don't think Alex has, either.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 05:55:48 PM »
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~155222.htm

Briatore has said that a proposal was made that Ralf go to Renault with Kovalainen going to Toyota.  Why would Renault do that?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
Because Flav is an Idiot?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline raindancer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

Doubt if Spyker will have him.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Why in the world would Renault swap up and
coming Heikki over down and going Ralph.

This makes no sense at all.As far as Williams
I can't remember why he left in the 1st place.
Was it Ralph's or Frank's idea
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 08:04:01 PM »
Oh pulease - Ralf's going deerhunting.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »
Ralf Schumacher definitely isn't going to Spyker. Adrian Sutil is contracted and it doesn't sound like Spyker are accepting offers for him. The other seat will go to a pay-driver that appeals to Vijay Mallya - so unless Ralf can figure out a way of getting Indian citizenship and leverage Indian sponsors by the end of the year, I can't see him there. Besides, I don't think Ralf's pride would accept him being a pay-driver.

The only reason I can think of for Flavio Briatore sending Heikki Kovalainen to Toyota is because Flavio has a waiting list of drivers for his team. At the last count, he was really impressed with Kovalainen (especially after the Fuji podium!). However, Flavio also wants Fernando Alonso on his team to lead a championship attack. He tends to build his team around whoever he thinks will be the lead driver, which is why Giancarlo Fisichella has suddenly re-entered the frame. Also consider that Nelson Piquet Jr. also believes he is entitled to a race seat, and depending on the contract, may or may not be. That's four drivers to squeeze into two seats. Something's got to give!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~155222~pid~1.htm
“With Nelson it's a bit like with (Roberto) Moreno,” he added. “We promised him a drive, but we didn't specify in what kind of car!”

I guess that means either Piquet isn't going to drive or he may be used to keep the seat warm for Alonso for a season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle