collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 571
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Symonds reverses over No.1 drivers  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Wizzo

Symonds reverses over No.1 drivers
« on: October 30, 2007, 04:19:37 PM »

Pat Symonds has suggested that he has changed his mind about whether Formula One teams should appoint number one drivers.

The veteran Briton, who is Renault's executive director of engineering, has traditionally agreed with the McLaren-style policy of offering absolute equality to both drivers.

But his boss Flavio Briatore said recently that McLaren counterpart Ron Dennis had erred in signing Fernando Alonso for 2007 but not giving him an advantageous position alongside his rookie teammate Lewis Hamilton.

"Today the roles need to be clearly defined as number one and number two, otherwise you risk destabilising the team," Briatore, who would gladly reunite Renault with Alonso for 2008, said.

Symonds told the Renault podcast that the Enstone based team has always offered driver equality, even when Alonso won his titles alongside Giancarlo Fisichella in 2005 and 2006.

"Even when we had Fernando winning championships, there were occasions when we had only one wing, so we wouldn't take it to the race," said Symonds, who also worked with Michael Schumacher in the team's Benetton guise.

"We weren't going to favour one driver over the other and I have been very, very strong about that in the past.

"But I have to say I am changing my view," he added.

"Motor racing is a team sport and I think you have really got to do what is best for the team and I think these days it is better to go all out behind one car."

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline f1box

Re: Symonds reverses over No.1 drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm!

So Alonso needs 'courting' to go back to Renault!

David
"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »
I guess that confirms one clause in the contract.  I wonder if Max will have an equality steward in the Renault garage next year to make sure Alonso gets equal treatment.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »
"All pigs are created equal, except some pigs are more equal than others" - Napoleon, a Berkshire boar, in the novel Animal Farm (George Orwell, 1945)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:25:54 PM »
There is no way in Hades that Alonso
and Fisichella were treated equal at Reanault
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
surely no one here really believes all this equality bullshit?

and with respect to Sir Ron it is all PR hype designed for some arcane reason to calm the stupid masses and comply with a largely unpoliced stupid FIA rule

it is well known that MH had precedence over DC while at McLAREN; MS over RB at FERRARI and i am sure you guys can supply many more

only right too - sooner or later one driver exceeds the ability and points of the other and IS accorded first cab in the rank status as he b well should be

just look at what FERRRARI 'allowed' to happen at BRAZIL

natural selection of the species at work in the real world and not some looney utopian ideal

and as cosworth151 succinctly quoted in his post:

""All pigs are created equal, except some pigs are more equal than others" - Napoleon, a Berkshire boar, in the novel Animal Farm (George Orwell, 1945)"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:55:56 PM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »
...it is well known that MH had precedence over DC while at McLAREN; MS over RB at FERRARI and i am sure you guys can supply many more...

I think these things come naturally when one driver is obviously more gifted than the other. MS vs RB, no contest, MH vs DC, no contest, FA vs GF, no contest. But Prost vs Senna, Mansel vs Piquet, Alonso vs Hamilton. Who do you pick? There's no way of having these guys in the same team and then favouring one of them.  The issue with Alonso was really that Hamilton had him beat in the 1st half of the season so it's then hard to say "well, we're going to favour Alonso". Even though this would still have been an obvious thing to do up to Hungary....

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:26:59 PM »
But Prost vs Senna, Mansel vs Piquet, Alonso vs Hamilton. Who do you pick? There's no way of having these guys in the same team and then favouring one of them. 

exactly and thanks mate - one has to move and they do thereby ensuring the stability of the team
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle