collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Slick tyres on test in Spain  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Slick tyres on test in Spain
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
I don't see it that way.  I agree, but not for the same reasons.  I think drivers that have been in F1 for at least a few years will have the most trouble throughout the season, mainly because they are not used to driving anything BUT a TC car.  The younger ones will have a trouble early on because in all their experience, they have never encountered a car with as drastic a weight/power ratio as the F1 beast, and to try it without TC will be pretty terrifying.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »
I suspect that anyone who was on the grid before the Spanish GP 2001 will be fine (they've already driven non-TC F1 cars before and know what to expect). Anyone who's outright new (or nearly new, like Nakajima) in 2008 will also be fine (following on from Clive's point, they've got to re-learn everything to transfer to F1 anyway and know it, so a lack of TC will simply be incorporated into the learning programme).

The ones who may hit trouble will be the ones who started in between. Felipe Massa has already indicated that he's not keen on the non-TC mode, and I read an interview in F1 Racing back in September where Robert Kubica said he preferred TC. Drivers with more positive attitudes and softer approaches to racing, such as Rosberg, will find it easier to adapt. However, all but one or two will have made the transition by the end of 2008. Anyone who hasn't will wash out of the system. It would be very unwise to predict who will completely fail to adapt to no TC at this stage.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
Most of the grid had TC long before Spain 2001 - that's just when they made it legal! ;) As I've said before, I think SeaBass will do well. He's been driving high power, high torque Champ Cars withiut TC or tire warmers for years.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »
That is clear. Sebastien Bordais doesn't have to unlearn any bad habits learned under TC, and with Champ Cars he will have learned some good habits as well.

How long before Spain 2001 are you suggesting there was TC, though? That could change things, perhaps. Of the drivers pre-dating that race, Fernando Alonso had to do a whole pile of races at Minardi without TC (it wasn't exactly top priority for the smallest team on the grid), Jenson Button was butter-smooth from day one and Nick Heidfeld was in that abysmal Prost all through 2000. If TC was with some teams before 2000, though, maybe a shadow of suspicion may linger on a few other drivers...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 05:19:45 PM »
Benetton were penalised for 'still' having launch control in 1995(?).  A large part of launch control is traction control.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »
That is one of the reasons for standardized ECUs. It's way too easy to hide Traction Control and even Launch Control in the ECU's programming.

Think back a few years ago, when Launch Control was illegal, but there was a rash of cars just shutting off at the start. It sure smelled like LC glitches to me. ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle