collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 581
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Slick tyres on test in Spain  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Wizzo

Slick tyres on test in Spain
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »
Bridgestone will reportedly supply slick tyres for Formula One teams to trial at the upcoming test in Spain.

The FIA announced earlier this year that the planned 2008 reintroduction of slicks, which were banned in favour of the current grooves at the end of 1997, would now be delayed.

But the Dutch magazine Formule 1 Race Report claims that every grand prix outfit will be given several sets of slicks to try at Jerez early next month, ahead of the likely reintroduction of the tyres in 2009.

The publication quotes a BMW-Sauber spokesman, and also the concurrence of the Red Bull teams and Honda, as confirming the news.

The Jerez-spec slicks will reportedly be based on the slick tyre currently produced by Bridgestone for the GP2 series.

It is also reported that tyre-warming blankets will not be allowed in 2008.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

Re: Slick tyres on test in Spain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »
Slicks eh, super news, but no tyre warmers, could be interesting into the first corners could'nt it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
I like how Bridgestone are not favouring Ferrari with this development. That's good news. I'd love for slicks to return, though I imagine the loss of tyre-warmers will cause some serious complications for first corners...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:10:32 PM »
I missed the previous announcement that slicks were coming back.  Must have been while I was working away from home and didn't have a regular internet connection.  Fantastic news though. 

As far as I am concerned tyre warmers are driver aids and should be banned.  Though the antics on the warm up lap are going to be worth watching now.  Think of all the swerving, wheel spinning and sudden braking that went on just to maintain temperature.  Now they have to put several times that amount of energy into them to get them up to temp.  Of course the FIA could just do away with the warm up lap.

Either way the first couple of corners of the first few races are going to involve a level of carnage not seen in recent years.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
No traction control, no tyre warmers and slicks the following year, oh what fun for us spectators! :yahoo:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:54 PM »
Nice to see another new poster.  Welcome John S.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
Did I hear someone mention trying to make the racing safer?
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 04:41:07 PM »
Hiya JS, welcome aboard the nuthouse.  :crazy:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
Did I hear someone mention trying to make the racing safer?

Max is trying to tick so many boxes politically he is tying himself in knots.  He wants to be green so tyre warmers have to go but that will upset the safety people.  Generally I take the safety side in any debate but tyre warmers should be banned.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »
slicks for 09,too bad tc is only a 1 year ban
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 12:33:23 AM »
I don't understand what the fuss is about.  F1 used slicks without tyre warmers for decades without tyre warmers - was it carnage at every corner and massive safety problems?  No, the drivers knew that the first couple of laps they should take it easy.  It's their job to adjust to the characteristics of the car in any conditions and, generally speaking, they do it pretty well.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 04:40:14 PM »
Howdy, JS! Always room for one more!

I, too, will be glad to see slicks come back and TC leave. As far as tire warmers, I can go either way. It should make for some interesting out-laps, though.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »
I don't understand what the fuss is about.  F1 used slicks without tyre warmers for decades without tyre warmers - was it carnage at every corner and massive safety problems?  No, the drivers knew that the first couple of laps they should take it easy.  It's their job to adjust to the characteristics of the car in any conditions and, generally speaking, they do it pretty well.

Last time they had slicks they also had experienced veteran drivers,not
drivers that couldn't buy a drink legally
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 04:53:43 PM »
The difference is that before drivers had experience of warming tyres and didn't know anything different.  Now you have a generation of drivers whose foot hits the floor as soon as the pass the pit speed limit line.  It is like anything else where an aid exists people lean on it.  Take it away and they will fall.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
I'm not so sure (and not so hard on the young 'uns too!).  These kids have grown up with wheels attached, racing go-karts almost before they could walk, playing simulation racing games for hours on end, and then rising through the overpopulated ranks of the feeder series.  They are born to it and, I suspect, the majority of them are much better than most drivers on the grid from thirty or forty years ago.  Youth is nothing if not adaptable and the boy racers will adapt so quickly, you'll be hard-pressed to notice any changes from last year.

.oO(There, that ought to set the cat amongst the pigeons...)
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle