collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 545
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sid Watkins in Road & Track  (Read 686 times)

Offline cosworth151

Sid Watkins in Road & Track
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:59:06 AM »
The new (January, 2008) issue of Road & Track mag has an article "The Evolution of Safety Technology in Motor Racing." The first 2/3rd of the piece deals with F1. It is mostly Prof. Sid Watkins talking about the changes since the deaths of Senna and Ratzenberger back in 1994. He also talks about Kubica's Montreal shunt, and how those changes helped save him.

He deals with everything from crash testing to the HANS device to the new 8600 standard helmets. One thing I hadn't heard of is that in 2008, they hope to have accelerometers fitted into every driver's radio earplugs. This will give them accurate info on the g-loads in any impacts they have.

He finishes with this quote: "We've been blessed, really. Although we've had some big accidents, nobody's really been hurt since 1994. We keep trying to improve safety."

Prof. Sid was made race doctor in 1978. He retired 26 years later, in 2004, as FIA F1 Medical Delegate and Safety Delegate. He is now President of the FIA Institute of Motor Sport Safety.

The last third of the article is about how Dale Earnhardt, Sr's death at Daytona in 2001 brought about safety changes in NASCAR.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Sid Watkins in Road & Track
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
If I pick up a magazine and it has anything written by the prof it is usually the first thing I read.  He is one of the very few people ever to have been involved in F1 who I am prepared to take what he says at face value.  You know there is no ulterior motive or hidden agenda.

I didn't know about the accelerometers in the ear plugs but I can see why they would do it.  You will get a lot more accurate info from ear plugs than from anything attached to a helmet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle