collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 560
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

what was the best f1 race between 1991 and 2007

Donnington 1993
Nurburgring 1995
Spain 1996
Monaco 1997
Spa 1998
Silverstone 2003
USA 2005
Japan 2005
Hungary 2006
Japan 2007
Australlia 1991
Monaco 1996
USA 2000
Nurburgring 1999
Brazil 2003
Brazil 2007
Monaco 1992

Author Topic: what is you favourite f1 race ever between 1991 and 2007 ?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

what is you favourite f1 race ever between 1991 and 2007 ?
« on: December 31, 2007, 07:06:16 PM »
If you could , would you tell me your favourite f1 race between 1991 and 2003 . was it donnington 1993 when senna outstandingly won in the mclaren in the etrocious conditions or spa 1998  when damon hill won his last ever grand prix in very much the same conditions. i would like to know your views.

cheers
ferrari man 009

p.s   i'll add a poll with about 10 choices to help you
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:49:43 PM by FERRARI MAN 009 »

Offline Steven Roy

Re: what is you favourite f1 race ever between 1991 and 2007 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:21:29 PM »
As soon as I see the phrase favourite race I go straight to Dijon 79.  We will never see racing like that again.  If it happened nowadays Max would ban everyone involved.

But Dijon 79 is outside you dates.  I need to think about which I would choose in your time frame.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:41:40 PM »
2003 Brasil,Fisi's first win
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:56:29 PM »
Deffinately Brazil 2007, Kimi driving the wheels off his car, all the pieces falling into place and everything working out perfectly for Kimi.  What a fantastic race.

Go Kimi!! 2007 WDC

Rom :good:

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »

oooohh there are so many!

One I always remember is the Mansel/Senna battle at Monaco in 1992. Some of you 'younger' guys might want to watch this clip.

Welcome aboard Ferrari Man!
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
If your memory is as bad as mine, questions like this one are easy - I have fewer instances to choose from!  Admittedly, I do remember classic moments from races but usually I couldn't tell you exactly where and when they happened.  And the moment great races are mentioned, I am transported back to a changeable British summer when the F1 circus arrived at Donnington for the first and last time.  It was the most unlikely of circumstances to produce one of the greatest races of all time but everything conspired to give us a race I will never forget.

Take a look at the ingredients: Perhaps the greatest driver ever, Ayrton Senna, in a car that was not competitive with the dominant Williams of 1993, a circuit that was being judged too short for a GP and yet had some of the best corners of any, weather that changed constantly from rain to drizzle to dry.  Perhaps we should not be surprised that Fuji provided us with one of the most interesting races of 2007, thanks to the weather.

We have all seen the videos, especially those first few laps when Ayrton demonstrated his supreme ability and made Prost look silly.  There were other races in which Ayrton drove even better but at Donnington he was untouchable - no one got even close.  In a way, it was not a classic race, since there was no battle for the lead and the winner was obvious from the first lap onwards.  But what an exhibition of supreme skill and car control!

It is this race, more than any other that I remember - and that, surely, is what we are considering here.  Brazil 2007?  Are we rating processions and team orders now?
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
If your memory is as bad as mine, questions like this one are easy - I have fewer instances to choose from!  Admittedly, I do remember classic moments from races but usually I couldn't tell you exactly where and when they happened.  And the moment great races are mentioned, I am transported back to a changeable British summer when the F1 circus arrived at Donnington for the first and last time.  It was the most unlikely of circumstances to produce one of the greatest races of all time but everything conspired to give us a race I will never forget.

Take a look at the ingredients: Perhaps the greatest driver ever, Ayrton Senna, in a car that was not competitive with the dominant Williams of 1993, a circuit that was being judged too short for a GP and yet had some of the best corners of any, weather that changed constantly from rain to drizzle to dry.  Perhaps we should not be surprised that Fuji provided us with one of the most interesting races of 2007, thanks to the weather.

We have all seen the videos, especially those first few laps when Ayrton demonstrated his supreme ability and made Prost look silly.  There were other races in which Ayrton drove even better but at Donnington he was untouchable - no one got even close.  In a way, it was not a classic race, since there was no battle for the lead and the winner was obvious from the first lap onwards.  But what an exhibition of supreme skill and car control!

It is this race, more than any other that I remember - and that, surely, is what we are considering here.  Brazil 2007?  Are we rating processions and team orders now?

Brazil 2007 was brilliant to watch because of Lewis Hamilton flying through the field from last to 7th

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
Welcome to GPWizard, Ferrari Man 009, and hope you are enjoying yourself. You seem to be settling in well already.

This is a somewhat tricky question for me, partly because I haven't seen some of the races in the poll (for instance, Donington 1993 sounds like the sort of race I'd've enjoyed, but I only started watching F1 several races later!). Also, there have been several very enjoyable races that were enjoyable for very different reasons.

Still, I think my favourite one was Spa 1998. It was the race that finally convinced me of Murray Walker's statement that "anything can happen in Formula 1 and it usually does". It was a rather wet race, and it was decided not to start from behind the Safety Car (as per the previous year) because standing starts were more popular. At some point during the subsequent 14-car collision, I suspect Charlie Whiting may have regretted that decision.

The collision was lucky in several respects - nobody got seriously injured and only four people were left without spare cars (even though every team except Williams and Jordan had had a car rendered unusuable for the restart). Ralf Schumacher was extremely lucky not to get his car damaged in the accident (being in the middle of the pack when the collision was triggered, he ducked to the side verge just in time to have an out-of-control Arrows shoot by three inches from his sidepod!). And as a Jordan supporter of (then) eight races, I thought it was lucky because Damon Hill had another go at the start, which he'd got a bit wrong the first time around.

An hour later, Damon got a good start and led the race for 7 laps. As this was the first time I'd seen a Jordan in the lead since I'd started supporting them, it was magic. Michael Schumacher was at his best in the Spa rain, though, and eventually took the lead for himself. Behind them, a lot of the other drivers were looking distinctly mediocre, crashing into each other and the walls - that sort of contrast makes for a lot of enjoyment, particularly if one of the people you support is one of the ones looking exceptional.

After that, it was largely a question of mounting implausibility, peaking when Michael Schumacher somehow lost a 40-second lead to Coulthard's McLaren after a misunderstanding over who was having which lump of tarmac round the back of the circuit. This led to the delightful situation of a Jordan 1-2 (and the less delightful one of Michael Schumacher nearly starting a punch-up in the McLaren garage...). Seeing my favourite driver and my favourite team win together was amazing, and the craziness of the day in which they'd won made it so much better :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
Yeah , Donnington 1993 was a great race on an awesome track.
Did you know because in 1993 there was no pit speed limit and the pitlane was inside the last corner , Ayrton Senna set the Lap record while pitting.

P.S . HOW CAN YOU BECOME A WOLD CHAMPION?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:58:41 PM by FERRARI MAN 009 »

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
Welcome FERRARI MAN, loads of posts my friend, loads of posts, enjoy yourself on here, it's great.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »
Well, I never even realised I was a world champion until just now...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
They're you go Ali, congrats to you
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 10:48:53 PM »
whats your favourite race between 1991 and 2007 ian?

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »

I have seen the first lap of the 1993 Donington race many times but the attached clip shows most of the lap from Senna's on board camera.  Senna qualified 4th or 5th and dropped briefly to 7th at the start.  Then he put on an awesome demonstration of wet weather driving.  I think in the end he made 4 pit stops and Prost made 7.  I am sure someone will give me the correct numbers if my memory is wrong.

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »
i believe you are right

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle