collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: IRL / Champ Car Press Conference  (Read 3003 times)

Online cosworth151

IRL / Champ Car Press Conference
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »
The Indy Racing League and Champ Car World Series have scheduled a press conference for Wednesday, Feb. 27, to discuss the unification of the two groups into one open-wheel racing series.

Speakers at the press conference will be IRL founder Tony George and Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven. The event is set to begin at 12:15 p.m. at the Homestead-Miami Speedway.

People can see the press conference streamed live at www.indycar.com

ONe of the issues that needs to be adressed is what will happen to the ALMS and Grand Am races that were scheduled to be held with Champ Car races.The ALMS at Long Beach should be OK as the Long Beach race will happen. Road America will probably go on since it is at an established circuit. Houston is more problematic, since it is on a street circuit. Whether or not ALMS willbe able to cover the work involved is questionable.

ALMS COO Tim Mayer issued a statement that read in part: "We have been asked to speculate on how this transition will affect these events. . . . Many details have yet to be worked out, so it is simply too soon to know all of these answers, and we do not think it is productive to speculate. However, we believe that it will affect our participation in the events very little."

The Grand Am race at Laguna Seca is likely safe, since it is at a dedicated track, too.

Now if we can just get ALMS and Grand Am together.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online cosworth151

Re: IRL / Champ Car Press Conference
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »
I just received the official e-mail from IRL about the merger. Talk about over-the-top purple prose:

Welcome to a new and exciting chapter in open-wheel racing.

Dissipating like the morning fog will be the cluttered consumer and sponsor landscape. Mended will be fractured fan allegiances that propagated acrimony. Set adrift will be the media's ad nausea commentaries and finger-pointing related to "the split." Unfurling like the American flag atop the Bombardier Pagoda at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be opportunities for hardened racers and a generation of competitors who didn't know that the American Automobile Association was once a sanctioning body.

The entire release may be read at:

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10581
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »
I didn't see anything written about the Toronto Indy (CART race).  They are yacking about Edmonton, but really, it is in a market of about 1million, while Toronto covers 5million and could draw on another 2million just over the border in Niagra Falls and Buffalo NY regions.  Who cares about Edmonton's race (a few Edmontonians, but that's about it)?  I want to know about Toronto's race!

I still think CART got the short straw in this one.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:19:38 PM »
That press release feels like Ron Dennis had a hand in writing it...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »
There is a new release from IRL. I just got it in the e-mail this morning. I already put this up in another string.

http://by120w.bay120.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?Aux=4%7c0%7c8CA47B234E85C50%7c&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&ReadMessageId=0430a976-9084-4e29-9f0d-d06ee0e978ce&n=1732058443

There has been rumors around that some of the CCWS races may return next season. I'm sure a few, like Laguna Seca, will be back. I'm going to try to run over to Indy in a week or so and nose around to see what I can find out.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »
Forsythe is the first casualty.  Team closed with immediate effect.  Paul Tracy is up for grabs.  Watch for the dominos to fall.  Foyt swore he'd do the same if the CART teams got signing bonus's (which were rumoured to be $1m per team).  No mention of him yet, but you know he is certainly getting ready to blow off some steam.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
From what I've read CC is running one more
race at Longbeach while IRL runs in Japan.

The points at Longbeach will count in
the points for the IRL Championship
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle