collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 237
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Coffee Table  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Wizzo

F1 Coffee Table
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »

I recently purchased this F1 tyre coffee table, (much to Mrs Wiz's disgust), it is obviously from a wet race and I have been told it is from a Jordon car from the 80's and the tyre has 'Spa - set No.5' written on one side. I have yet to do some further investigating to see if I can narrow this down.

It has been banished to my office because Mrs Wiz won't have it in the house!  :( If she had her way it would be the next competition prize.

Still its sure going to make a good talking point for anybody that comes to see me.  :D

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline romephius

Re: F1 Coffee Table
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »
That's pretty cool Wiz,

You should buy a couple more, pop out the glass and fit them to you car......  :crazy:

Good traction in the wet

Rom

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »
A good friend of my did this a few years ago with a tire from Dale Jarrett's #88 UPS Ford. She bought the tire at the Bristol race and put the glass top on it when she got home.

I've been told that the sight of this rather small woman trying to carry a NASCAR slick through the crowd was something to see. :D
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »
Sorry Wiz,I have to agree with the
Mrs on this
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »
Another vote for Mrs Wiz.  Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to put it without a major clearout.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:05:04 PM by Steven Roy »

CrazyHorse

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
its a nice table to have but i wouldnt have it in my living room either

i'd have an expired engine, highly polished and turned into a coffee table in my living room tho, dont know if i'd leave the bottles of champagne in it tho. The first pic is a cosworth engine  :good:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:03:52 AM »
Wet Spa doesn't narrow it down a lot, but Jordan only had Goodyear tyres between 1991 and 1998 inclusive. If your coffee table came with the F1 wheel's rim, it would have helped, because the sponsors on it would have given more precise clues.

If it had been 1998, I think you'd have been told that specifically, since having a tyre off a car involved in a 1-2 that weekend would have upped the price somewhat.

It probably wasn't 1991, 1993 or 1996, since it did not appear to rain during those events, and those tyres appear to have seen some use, unless I'm very much mistaken.

1992, 1994, 1995 and 1997 all remain possible at this point. The next question is what design of wet tyre you have. Goodyear were using more than one design in the mid-90s. For example, the 1997 Belgian Grand Prix saw three different wet tyre types from Goodyear used. The Quattro is the older design, having been in use since the early 1990s. There was also the V-cut tyre (introduced in 1997, so if you've got one of those, it rules out all other options) and the intermediate tyre. Oh, and in case you're wondering, Jordan used both Quattros and V-cuts in that race, and may well have used intermediates in a practise session or something...

I also notice there's some sort of code on the side of the tyre. I don't know if this will yield any further information (the picture isn't of a high enough resolution for me to try it), but it's worth sticking in a search engine to see what happens.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
I also notice there's some sort of code on the side of the tyre. I don't know if this will yield any further information (the picture isn't of a high enough resolution for me to try it), but it's worth sticking in a search engine to see what happens.

Maybe firing the code off to Goodyear in an e-mail might yield results. Perhaps to their PR dept?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »

Thanks for the help guys.  :good:

I will take a close up picture of the thread together with any markings and post on here ASAP. I will also contact Goodyear to see if they can shed any light on the matter.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
That's a good plan, Cos. I watched a TV programme yesterday where someone found Carphone Warehouse's customer care division wouldn't even pick up the phone to him discovered that phoning the marketing department got his problem solved a lot faster...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle