collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 578
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Introduction to 2009  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Wizzo

Introduction to 2009
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:01:39 PM »
The sport of Formula One is always in perpetual motion, as is evidenced by the teams always testing future setups, the FIA and their regulations, and also Bernie Eccelstone always throwing a fit when it comes to bringing the sport into new markets and stripping some of the most hallowed tracks in Europe and North America of their races.

Little known events occurred at the Barcelona test one week before the Spanish Grand Prix. Some of the teams took part in simulation runs of the new 2009 package and regulations. The 2009 regulations will change the sport quite a bit and usher in a new, exciting era into the sport, and it could not have come at a better time.

Formula One is arguably THE most watched sport in the world, with the exception of the FIFA World Cup which only occurs every four years. Nearly every country tunes in to watch Sunday grand prix and about 55 million people watch on any given weekend. In the early 2000s during the dominance of Michael Schumacher and Ferrari, however, TV ratings dropped. People would just tune in and see Schumacher winning the race and then they would just simply switch the channel to something else. Now Schumacher is in his second year of retirement and the sport is completely wide open for the taking.

A few years back the FIA and F1 Racing polled fans about what they would like to see more of on the track. An overwhelming percentage of 94% of fans said that they would like to see more overtaking in the sport. The FIA seems to agree and has kindly responded with new regulations for the 2009 season.

The three main introductions (or reintroductions) for the 60th Formula One World Championship will hopefully greatly improve the chances of overtaking. Bridgestone will shod the cars with racing slicks, a first since they were banned in 1998. The FIA is also standardising and regulating parts of the aerodynamics as well. To further sweeten and ice the cake the new Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) device will be fitted onto the cars allowing them and extra 80 horsepower boost when used right.

Teams that tested the 2009 regulations did not run an actual 2009 package. All they did was simulate with the current 2008 package. Like all things now in Formula One, the teams began testing the 09 Package in computer simulations and wind tunnels. Tests were showing the restricted downforce was going to cost the cars about a 3 second deficit. By allowing racing slicks back on the cars it will give the cars back about 2 seconds, leaving approximately a 1 second decrease in lap times, and knowing the engineers they will magically find some of that 1 second by tinkering with the aero they are given to mess with.

What’s so different about the new aero package for next year are three things. First the middle part of the front wing will be homogenised on every car which will be less aerodynamically effective than the current wings. Barge boards on the side and winglets on the top will also be strictly regulated, further hindering the car’s speed. It will all be counteracted by an underbody diffuser which will greatly offset the turbulence that affects a car. Since the air under the car will not be as turbulent then it will not create a rift in the back of the car. That means the cars will be able to drive closer behind the rear wing and make overtaking a little more easier to do.

With some of the aero gone it will make the car not grip as much as usual, as evidenced by the 3 second deficit. To make up for it the FIA is allowing slick tires for the first time in more than a decade to be used. The slicks will generate better grip than the current treaded tire. The grip from the new tires and the lack of downforce from the aerodynamics will enable drivers to outbrake each other while going into turns, something not as easy to do with the treads.

To throw a hard slider to the drivers, the new KERS system is also being introduced. The recovery system is not ready yet and was the only part of the 09 package that was not simulated during the tests. The system is designed to recover and store the energy from braking and will be used as a power boost to aid the drivers in overtaking. When a driver pushes the KERS button on the wheel, it will give him an 80 horsepower burst for about 6 seconds. When the stored energy is used up, it will take an additional lap to store the 295 feet per pounds of force.

Formula One will be a different looking machine next year. Will it be for the best or worse? Everything looks good in theory, but can sometimes be messed up in practice. Right now the new regulations look like they will deliver a great beneficial impact upon the sport. With the old rules of letting the teams usually do what they want with the car under loose regulations, the teams usually with the big pocketbook were the ones that came out on top. By “collectivising” some of the rules there should be more competition. The drivers and teams will no longer have to worry about putting on a “hard” or “soft” compound tire during the race either.

It will be interesting to see the strategies that the drivers will use when overtaking someone. The drivers will have to be calculating and strategic in their moves. The KERS will also have a profound effect. A defensive driver will have to time his 80hp boost with the attacking driver in order to keep his position. With the slicks it will be cool to see the outbraking manoeuvres while entering the turn.

Personally I believe the changes can't come soon enough.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

Re: Introduction to 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »
Suppose you thought that was funny Wiz  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »
I welcome the return of the slicks, but I like the two tire compounds. I'll miss the areo goodies, though. They give each of the cars a distinctive look.

As for the KERS, the idea of a short burst of extra power sounds like a good idea. Somehow, though, it seems like I've heard of that somewhere before. If only I could remember.....
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline raindancer

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »
While the FIA is trying to get or keep more people tuned into F1, these regulations on the Aero bit is retrograde. In my opinion the whole concept of F1 is that it is the pinnacle in motor racing and any attempt to regulate it is not a very good idea.
The only thing they should do is to insist on safety and leave the rest to the teams.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »
Yeah I am with Raindancer on this. Lets have slicks and even KERS to give a boost, but leave the teams free to get the most they can from areo and anywhere else. F1 has always been about the best and cleverest constructors and innovation has been the biggest part of making the sport what it is.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
Aero has been limited since high wings were banned and it has to be.  Otherwise we would still have sliding skirts and ground effect.  Complex aero devices stop overtaking and acing and we need more of both.

I don't like KERS and the idea of a push to pass button has no place in F1.  Overtaking should be accomplished by good driving not by pressing a button at a different time to someone else.

Slicks are a good idea and should never have been dropped in the first place.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
Advancement is good but I don't think anyone wants
a computer driven car that doesn't need a driver.

Sometimes the good ol days were indeed that
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
As for the P2P button, I'd rather wait to see if the new aero rules make it easier to pass first.  How many times have we heard that it will be better next year, only to have the same old dullsville.  Maybe it will be the only answer.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline raindancer

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
The point in my opinion is that standardizing to make the races more attractive will spell the end of F1 in the long run. After a while it will become a single seater racing category with everyone having the same specs.
That is not what we want. There are different people out there developing cars and they should be allowed to develop them and see them perform on the race track. I also do not think there is any danger of cars being computer driven. A Fighter jet has all the state of the art electronics and systems and still needs a pilot to fly it.
trying to standardize is not the way to go about it.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle