collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 266
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13004 Posts
John S John S
11284 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 goes to Manchester  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Steven Roy

F1 goes to Manchester
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/165084-0/f1_hits_manchester.html

BMW are taking their Pit Lane Park to the Trafford Centre in Manchester on 4th-6th July.  Admission is free and there will be all sorts of interactive entertainment.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: F1 goes to Manchester
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »
And I can't afford to go, even though it's only a train ride away. Grrr!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Mitch14

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:13:04 PM »
i wouldn't mind going but i live in exeter so its quite far

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
I'm going tomorrow.  It means I will miss Friday practise but I get to hear, smell and feel F1 engines so I will make the sacrifice.

Mitch14

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »
i hope you enjoy yourself steven

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »
Enjoy yourself, Steven!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
I'm sure I will.  Thanks.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
Good call, Steven! :good:

There's nothing in the world like being up close to real F1 cars!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Mitch14

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
i hope one day i can do something like that

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
You should have gone to F1 in Regent St, SUPERB it was.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Mitch14

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
glad you had a good time

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 07:16:06 PM »
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/165084-0/f1_hits_manchester.html

BMW are taking their Pit Lane Park to the Trafford Centre in Manchester on 4th-6th July.  Admission is free and there will be all sorts of interactive entertainment.

yeah SR - I think BMW are on to a winner here. Nothing like bringing the sights, sounds and smells of F1 to the citiies.

Good PR that must make a lot of people have a warm regard for the BMW brand but also attract new people to F1.

To actually get up close and personal with a modern F1 car is an awesome experience as the technical excellence of the cars and the sheer applied intelligence they have is so obvious and very impressive.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:35:46 PM »
If you get the chance to see Pit Lane Park don't miss it.  They were babying the F1 car today so its run was a bit short.  I think that was because it has to last all weekend and they had technical problems with it before it was started up.  It didn't help that they decided to wet the tarmac to help it do donuts and it nearly went off backwards because it had no traction.  Even without live action it is worth going to see.  Lots of toys to play with and no-one saying stand back don't touch.

Aside from the F1 and F BMW cars doing the displays they let you play with everything else they had. They had two cars for pit stop challenges. First thing Friday morning before the place had been open an hour they had three guys changing a wheel in 4.3 seconds. There were at least a couple of school trips there. It was really funny watch 8 year old girls changing wheels including using the air hammer to slacken and tighten the nut. Those rear wheels are so light it is unbelievable. Much lighter than the alloys on any road car. Even with the tyres on they are feather light.

They had yet another F1 car where you could go and get photos posing with their models. BMW supplied the photographer and printed the pictures. They had a ‘glass’ F1 car that you could re-fuel. Those fuel hoses are heavy and awkward even when they are empty.

We have all seen exploded diagrams of F1 cars. They had an exploded F1 car that you could go a poke around. Absolutely nothing was off limits and the staff(dozens of them) encouraged everyone to go and do the things you always get told not to touch.

They had a pitlane stand complete with monitors displaying data from one of this year’s races and head phones so that you could listen in to the discussion between the pits and the drivers.

They had three simulator racers where you could go and race the other 2 for 2 laps of the Turkish track. They also had a load of driver fitness stuff including this weird concentration competition thing. You stuck two fingers into a clip(I assum it measured pulse or conductivity or pressure applied) and in between the two people was a metal track with a 2 inch metal ball. The person with the most relaxed concentration moved the ball towards their opponent. I need to try to read up on it because I don’t understand it at all.

The had Vicky Butler-Henderson and some bloke I didn’t recognise doing the commentary.

Mitch14

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »
wish i was in that turkish track simulator

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
One other point I forgot.  The whole Pit Lane Park thing is free including taking and printing photos.  The only thing you paid for was food and drink in the cafeteria.  How can a Scotsman forget to mention it was free?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle