collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 608
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso restless after French GP  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Dare

Alonso restless after French GP
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »
Speculation is mounting about Fernando Alonso's future at Renault, after the former two-time world champion once again failed to gain a podium place at a Grand Prix.

Alonso finished the French GP at Magny Cours in eighth place, and afterwards said that the team was not equiped to challenge for the top spots.
He said: "On Saturday and before the race we were optimistic, but we need to be realistic.

"We are really only fighting in the middle of the grid.

"If you are slow and you can't get into a rhythm, your strategy doesn't matter."

There also seems to be some discord behind the scenes, with one mechanic reportedly saying: "Fernando thinks only about Fernando. (In Canada) he wasn't even at the after-race briefing."

Despite this, chief engineer Pat Symonds insists Alonso is needed at the French outfit, saying: "The bottom line is that we are the best choice for him.

"If he would drive with us out of this crisis, he would be a hero."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Alonso restless after French GP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
However fast Alonso is, he clearly hasn't learned how to win friends and influence people off-track. This could present an insurmountable stumbling block to his future career. Lucky Flavio thinks he's fantastic, else he really would be in trouble.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
It is quite clear that the only reason he was popular in his first spell with Renault because the team were on the up or at the top.  Now he is under pressure he has to show that he can lead the team.  He should have learned from Schumacher's behaviour early in his Ferrari career.  I have never been a Schumacher fan but his behaviour from 96 until Ferrari was sorted was incredible.  Alonso doesn't seem to get that side of things.  The big question is do Honda need him if he is not ready to lead a team?

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
And thats the only reason he was twice WDC, Renault were the top dogs
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:21:50 PM »
Come on guys Renault didn't have the dominance that Williams, McLaren and Ferrari have sometimes had in a season, so Ferd didn't have it all his own way when he won his WDCs.

I don't like his whineing either but he is still a top class driver, but even the best drivers need a car capable of challenging at the front regularly to stand any chance of winning the championship.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:52:27 PM »
Even in the 2005-2006 period, there were times when Alonso would say something that would have demotivated a lesser team (the fallout from China 2006 being the classic example of this). Renault accepted (and still accept) Fernando's tactlessness because of his other skills (which I have to admit are many and varied), but McLaren wee not so tolerant and I suspect other teams would be in the middle. It's career-limiting, but I do worry that in this less-than-optimum situation, Alonso's tendency to say the wrong thing in the wrong space at the wrong time may stretch Renault's goodwill.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:46:59 PM »
I can agree with John S that Alonso is a top class driver but he needs to learn to look ahead and focus on the task at hand and not whinge about the lack of car he is sitting in. Check out Kimi's attitude and how he dealt with the ever self-distructing Maclaren he had.
He simply put it behind him, looked forward to the next race and got on with the job.

Fernando can learn alot from the Kimster.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »
I have to agree with John too,in both his
WDC seasons Kimi and MS gave him all
he wanted

Mcclaren reliability cost Kimi the title and
MS's little stunt at Monaco combined with
Ferrari's first engine failure n years gave him
the other
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline jontywilliams

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
???? Wierd. Alonso fluked his two worldchampionships? You got to be smoking something.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
Alonso is tops as far as driving is concerned - but only when things are going for him. As soon as things get tough he can't stand the heat - see his behaviour last year at Macca and also this year to date.

Shumi was the exact opposite. If things were going wrong he didn't go blabbing to the rest of the world. He kept it within the team and the team worked on it together.

The surprise one in all this has been Kimi, who is dealing with things in the same professional manner Michael always did.

I think we are all in agreement that we never quite expected this diplomatic approach from Kimi. Nando could learn a bit from that.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline romephius

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:22:53 AM »
My honest opinion is that I always thought Shumi was arrogant... but proffessional, Alonso is a whiny child with some driving skill (little better than button) and Kimi strikes me exactly the same as Shumi... world class all the way.....

Rom

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:55 AM »
???? Wierd. Alonso fluked his two worldchampionships? You got to be smoking something.

what part of what I said do you not agree with?

Kimi didn't have realability problems or
Michael didn't give him all he wanted?

And no I don't smoke

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 03:44:30 AM »
one example of Kimi 2005 luck

Mitch14

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
alonso is a good driver when he wants to be but his unsportsmanship like Hungary 2007 in the pits (although i didnt mind as he was blocking hamilton) makes him look like a bad guy

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
Yup, Kimi was unlucky, all Alonso can blame is his own bad driving, it's not unusual tho' is it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle