collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 580
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Peerless Murray in no hurry to retire as BBC prepare to resume Motor Racing cov  (Read 2570 times)

TheStig

High-decibel memo to BBC Sport: Hampshire pensioner seeks employment when the Corporation takes over Formula One coverage next season.

Enthusiasm: infectious. Style: unique. Experience: unrivalled. Murray Walker, peerless master of motor racing's spoken word, was back at Silverstone on Friday, 60 years after his first visit to watch Italian Luigi Villoresi win the inaugural British Grand Prix of 1948.

Now a sprightly 84, he is keen to return to our TV screens - although even he admits that the lead commentator's role, travelling to 19 races around the globe, might stretch his constitution.

Walker's broadcasting experience dates back to 1949, the second running of this national institution. 'I was at Stowe corner, as No 2 commentator to Max Robertson, the BBC's famous tennis commentator.

And he hated motorracing, and said so. During that race, John Bolster had - the - most - colossal - crash. I said in a massive piece of understatement: 'Bolster's gone off.'

'I actually thought he was dead. They carted him off to hospital and put him back together.'

Does Walker, who has a new book out, Murray Walker Scrapbook, and is back on 5 Live's 606 on Friday night, think it is good for fans that F1 is returning to BBC?

'I don't know, ITV have actually done a better job than the BBC did. The BBC have a big challenge to live up to, but the good news is viewers will get uninterrupted coverage'.

With his avuncular air, Walker makes every allowance for Lewis Hamilton after the British driver's two problematic races.

'My advice to Lewis, as if he needs it from me, is: do what Nelson Piquet did - never read anything about himself,' said Walker.

'All drivers have their ups and downs. After a quite incredible first year in F1, what is happening to him this year is not untypical.'

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/motors/article-1031997/Peerless-Murray-hurry-retire-BBC-prepare-resume-coverage.html?ITO=1490

Offline Steven Roy

The BBC need to get Murray involved in their coverage.

Mitch14

it would be good if murray walker was the commentator next year as he is well known and has a good knowledge of the sport

Offline Wizzo

Does Murray attend every race still? If he does, why not get him to do the walk about interviews?
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

Wiz your all heart,give 84
year old Murray the job
of walking the grid :o

BBC couldn't find a better
announcer then Sir Jackis,
but I don't know if he would
even be interested in the job
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
nah, we do not need murray's meaningless meandering mutterings anymore as we are well rid of him and he was passed his 'use by date' even 30 years ago!

I mean just check the great 'random quote' feature on the left of this screen to see how b gormless this guy was.

He even admits to hating motor-racing.  :DD
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:51:38 PM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Steven Roy

He said he hated motor racing in 1948.  I think he probably changed his opinion slightly after that.  No-one spends 60 years involved in something they hate.

All sports commentators say things like Murray.  The difference is because of his personality and the sport he covers and the fact he has been doing it for 60 years it gets highlighted more.  James Allen does it all the time but he bores people so much that we forget about him as soon as he stops talking.  I was getting very annoyed about some of the garbage he was spouting yesterday but today I can't even remember what he said.  I cannot remember a single word the guy said in 2 hours.  Bring back Murray in whatever capacity he feels able to handle.

Mitch14

oi sennaman what are you on about. 'nah, we do not need murray's meaningless meandering mutterings anymore as we are well rid of him and he was passed his 'use by date' even 30 years ago!' walker was the best commentator ever he is like the voice of f1 and he is very popular with the people at home

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
oi sennaman what are you on about. 'nah, we do not need murray's meaningless meandering mutterings anymore as we are well rid of him and he was passed his 'use by date' even 30 years ago!' walker was the best commentator ever he is like the voice of f1 and he is very popular with the people at home

just my opinion mate!

I just prefer someone with more knowledge to a 'personality' who, as the 'random quotes' feature clearly shows, too often just talks without engaging his brain or is it just his brain is far ahead of whatever he is saying at the time.

Whatever, his howlers may be amusing but they are too numerous for me and I just wanted him to shut up his distracting disinformation and drivel so I could hear what others had to say. They at least could be credible and worth listening to.

How he managed to keep his job for so long is beyond me and let's face it he fell into it as at the time nobody else wanted to do it. It was farmed out to him.

He is a triumph of incompetence over-achieving and a glaring example of the 'cult of the personality' that blights our radio waves; all flake and no substance.

I am relieved I do not have to put up with his "meaningless meandering mutterings" anymore and quite alarmed if he is given another stint.

Quick, where is that b mute button!  ;)

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Offline Ian

Did I hear the muttering of a contract being put out ?
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Mitch14

well i haven't. anyway sennaman im sorry for being rude you are entitled to your opinions and i hope this dosen't make you think bad of me

Offline Alianora La Canta

Murray currently does half of the races (mostly European events) for Honda as an ambassador, so he couldn't do any role that required full-time on-track presence. The packed travel schedule of modern F1 is the main reason why he's not doing a full-time paddock job at the moment.

Where I think he could come in useful to the BBC is to do the occasional feature - perhaps on the historic aspects of F1. He might even be able to be a substitute commentator when the regular ones go on holiday or are called away to do something else (like David Croft's paternity leave at Nurburgring 2007).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Mitch14

that would be good but he would be better full-time

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
well i haven't. anyway sennaman im sorry for being rude you are entitled to your opinions and i hope this dosen't make you think bad of me

hey, no worries Mitch as someone once said, opinions are quite ok and the only thing wrong with them is we all have one! Lol.

Vive la difference Mitch - keep going at it mate and this is a great forum to express it.

Mitch14

thanks for saying that but i have never heard of that phrase with the opinions but im sure not criticising it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle