collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 550
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari wants Massa to Win  (Read 2729 times)

Offline raindancer

Ferrari wants Massa to Win
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »
Kimi is unhappy and he proved it by setting the fastest lap of the race. He was extremely diplomatic when he mentioned his fuel loads during qualifying. Looks like MS is back to his games.

Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Scott

Re: Ferrari wants Massa to Win
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
You think MS had anything to do with Ferrari's strategy?  You've gotta be kidding.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
Surely wer'e not suggesting MS would favour Felipe are we ?
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:18:45 PM »
You'd think if they were going to favour Felipe they'd give him an engine that can do all 70 laps...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
You'd think if they were going to favour Felipe they'd give him an engine that can do all 70 laps...

They had planned to, but it was delayed in shipment to the Hungaroring from Cosworth. ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
Nice one, cosworth151! :D
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline raindancer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
Lets forget the MS part. But it looked to me that Ferrari got Kimi's strategy wrong. They loaded him with more fuel than Massa and he had to drive 50 laps behind Alonso and the moment he got clear, he showed what he could do. I am wondering what was the logic in that strategy. Or as usual is ferrari working as a team within a team.
Kimi said his qualifying wasn't good but still if he was fuelled right he might have won the race with those retirements.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
The fuel difference may not have been as much as it appeared to be.  Massa was caning his car to build a lead where Kimi was cruising behind Alonso and therefore using a lot less fuel.  It crossed my mind on a few occasions during the race that had Ross Brawn been in the pits he would have been organising an empty bit of road for Kimi rather than have him pound round behind Alonso all day.

The other thing to remember is Kimi was slow all weekend.  I think the only session he was faster than Massa was FP2 and by 0.001s.  So I am sure his speed at the end came as a surprise to the team as well as us.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »
In the race I saw, Kimi was not held up by Alonso - the gap was always much more than it would have been had Kimi been faster than the Renault.  So, either the Ferrari is super-sensitive to the wake of a car in front or it was no quicker than a Renault driven by a double world champion.  The plain fact is that Kimi's car was not handling as well as Massa's all weekend and I would suggest that the title of this thread may be closer to the truth than we imagine.

Kimi's speed in the final stint and his fastest lap was thanks to soft tyres and low fuel load - as it always is with him these days.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
Perhaps the unthinkable has happened and FM has developed into a better driver in the dry if not the wet!

Shades of FA vs LH in McLAREN, somehow KM is not anywhere near his best self.

Getting hammered by FM would be hard on him and may simply be too much. Lets face it KR, judging by his public persona, is not the most endearing of fellows and indeed FERRARI as a team may have switched allegiance to MASSA especially as he is on very good terms with michael SCHUMACHER and as kimi has publicly rejected MS's help with an arrogant and very disrespectful disdain.

I do not think that was a good carer move and it may be coming back to haunt him as it shows a stupid lack of appreciation of a man who is revered by the team.

Anyway it is good to see some in the F1 world having to eat humble pie for consistently downrating felipe. He now has oodles of the drive and hunger for more success and getting mentored by MS has obviously worked some magic.

Now if only FERRARI can give FM a reliable car!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
The fuel difference may not have been as much as it appeared to be.  Massa was caning his car to build a lead where Kimi was cruising behind Alonso and therefore using a lot less fuel.  It crossed my mind on a few occasions during the race that had Ross Brawn been in the pits he would have been organising an empty bit of road for Kimi rather than have him pound round behind Alonso all day.

The other thing to remember is Kimi was slow all weekend.  I think the only session he was faster than Massa was FP2 and by 0.001s.  So I am sure his speed at the end came as a surprise to the team as well as us.

a sage perception SR, at least RB would have given kimi a better chance. HONDA are b lucky to have him and getting ross has to be a very good move by them - and they need all the expertise they can get!   
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
Perhaps the unthinkable has happened and FM has developed into a better driver in the dry if not the wet!

Anyway it is good to see some in the F1 world having to eat humble pie for consistently downrating felipe. He now has oodles of the drive and hunger for more success and getting mentored by MS has obviously worked some magic.

Now if only FERRARI can give FM a reliable car!

How soon you forget he can't keep the car on the track in the wet.  I look at it the other way around - although he put it together in Hungary better than Ferrari provided him, but the high is more of a blip than typical.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »
Massa has spun out of three separate races this season.  I can't think of anyone winning a world championship after making the number of basic drivig errors he has.  People seem to be writing Kimi off and I keep reading about what a terrible season he is having but he is only 5 points off the championship lead.  If Ferrari can sort out whatever is wrong with the front of their car or it is not as prevalent at the faster tracks that are coming up after Valencia the natural order at Ferrari will be restored.  By Moza we will know whether he is retiring or not and if he is not he will beat Massa in the championship again.

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »
I have to agree with Steven.
Our sport seems to have lots of people (especially the ITV F1 presenters - excluding Brundle) that come up with stupid sensationalist statements
...Kimi is having a terrible season (well he still has a good chance of winning the championship, I bet the rest of the pack were wishing they could have such a terrible season)
....Massa has blown Hamilton away (mmm into a solid second place and holding a gap of less than 3seconds)
....Picquet simply doesn't have the pace (beats Alonso in one race and is just a few seconds behind in the next race)
etc., etc.

I'm no Ferrari fan but I have no doubt that they currently have an excellent car and employ two of the top five drivers in F1. Only a fool would ignore Kimi's chances to come out on top.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
Sure we can't write Kimi off, he is in with a chance of the WDC along with Lewis and Fellipe.

My worry is that Kimi relies to much on natural talent which is geared only to his motivation, where as Fellipe has to work his socks off to improve or even stay at the top.

In Hungary Massa kept building all weekend towards a big result that he nearly pulled off. Kimi on the other hand only seemed to show a spark when the big guns faltered in front of him making it worth his while to push on.

If I was a team boss I should be giving Massa every advantage in case Kimi can't keep his motivation going, you then stand a better than even chance of a Ferrari driver being WDC.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle