collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 155
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16164 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12995 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Eastern Creek wants Oz GP  (Read 1184 times)

TheStig

Eastern Creek wants Oz GP
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »
One for Rom.............

The Eastern Creek circuit could soon undergo a major revamp in a bid to poach the Australian Grand Prix away from Melbourne.

Earlier this year, Albert Park signed an extended contract with Formula One commercial rights controller Bernie Ecclestone that will see the race remain in Melbourne until 2015.

The announcement came as a bit of a surprise because Ecclestone had been threatening to axe the race after the Melbourne organisers refused to agree to running it at night in a bid to boost TV audiences.

Instead they reached a compromise with Ecclestone that will see the race handed a 5:00 pm (0600 GMT) start.

However, Allan Moffat, a board member of the Australian Racing Drivers' Club, thinks it's only a matter of time before Ecclestone once again puts pressure on Melbourne to hold a night race.

Moffat claimed that such an eventuality would allow Sydney's Eastern Creek track to step in and take over the grand prix.

"Bernie Ecclestone will get sick of Melbourne's refusal to host a night race," Moffat told the Australian Daily Telegraph.

"We would be in a position to take advantage. It would cost three times as much to develop a suitable facility on virgin land.

"We have the basis for it right here in the middle of Blacktown, Australia's fastest growing area."

Sydney track willing to hold night race.????

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_3950544,00.html

TheStig

Offline romephius

Re: Eastern Creek wants Oz GP
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:59:25 PM »
The only problem I see with putting the race in Sydney is the fact that you will take alot of the show away from the race... Sydney is a city without personality.... it's a tourist town that only cares for money...  Melbourne (Adelaide and other cities) care about the show they put on... they simply want to be the best...

But... hopefully we have 7 years to sort it all out... I think the later start will be good for Europe... but bad for the U.S. but I suppose you can't please all the people all the time..

Thanks for showing me this story Stig

Rom

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »
I think the later start will be good for Europe... but bad for the U.S.

Well, Bernie says F1 doesn't need us, anyway!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »
Bernie might not need you, but we need all of you over in the US. :good:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

TheStig

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
Bernie will always go where the money is.

Abu Dhabi was the threat over Silverstone,to get it to take the finger out and produce a circuit,on a level  being built by all the rich investors.

Under his plans no track is a safe option.
Tike.. can give you modern circuits,but the fans would rather see Silverstone as a venue for this sport we all love.....

You have made enough out of us all Bernie....Time to give something back.

TheStig

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
Granted Bernie always gets the biggest chunk, but it is also his job as a representative for the team interests (the other 47% or whatever it has evolved into these days) to always go where the money is.  I don't doubt he enjoys the blackmail, but it is actually not only in his interest.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle