collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 601
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 (Auto) Biographies  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Willy

F1 (Auto) Biographies
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »
Anyone read any good books lately about current or older F1 drivers they want to recommend?
I just finished David Coulthard's Autobiography "It Is What It Is".
Interesting read. A tad choppy the way he jumps around but all in all a good read.

It give insight into David's life and how he got to F1 from his early start racing karts at 11 years old.
I had no idea he disliked Juan Pablo Montoya so much. He won't even call him by his name and refers to him as "the chubby little guy.
Some funny stuff.
The foreword is written by Ron Dennis.

Offline Steven Roy

Re: F1 (Auto) Biographies
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:47 PM »
I read Jackie Stewart's book Winning is not enough a few months ago and it is definitely worth a read.  The book comes with a DVD.  Some of the chapters of the DVD can be viewed at http://www.viewvibe.com/ .  Viewvibe is an idea of his son Mark to use video in conjuction with books.

A couple of older books I enjoyed were Gerald Donaldson biography of Gilles Villeneuve which I have seen advertised on a few websites recently at £6 or £7 and 'To Hell and Back' by Niki Lauda.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:12:59 PM by Steven Roy »

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
I plan on picking up Jackie's book and also want to read the book from Jim Clarke. I forget the name.

I should definately read Gerald Donaldson's book about Gille, as I worked as a flag marshall at a Formula Atlantic race he won before he moved into F1.
And being Canadian eh!.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
The Eddie Jordan autobiography is good if you can tolerate the odd proofreading howler, and the biography of him by Timothy Collings did fills in the gaps it leaves.

If you can find it, "Mon Ami Mate", the biography of Hawthorn and Collins, is excellent.

The recommendation for "Winning Is Not Enough" is seconded.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:45 PM »
Mon Ami Mate has been on my list of things to read since it first came out.

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »
I neglected to mention a great book, "All Arms And Elbows" by Innis Ireland. A very funny look at F1 before Jackie Stewart lobbied for all the great safety measure we all take for grated are part of motor racing today. Ireland relates some amazing stories of accidents and incidents that are not to be missed.

I will look for Eddies' autobiography, as well as Jackies'.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:50:38 AM »
I didn't know that Innes Ireland had written a book.  He was to say the least a bit of a character and I can imagine his book will be entertaining.

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:26:17 PM »
I found out about "All Arms and Elbows" from a UK F1 Site that rated it as probably the best autobiography by an ex racing driver ever written.
I had to find my copy from a rare book dealer in the UK and paid dearly for a lovingly used copy.

I highly recommend the read.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »
Another one to add to the good F1 driver biography list - "Jim Clark" by Andrew Tulloch. I'm only halfway through it at the moment, but it's a pleasant enjoyable read with some nice pictures in it. Andrew, by the way, is curator at the Jim Clark museum.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
Graham Gauld who is a well known Scottish motoring journalist wrote a really good biography of Clark.  I must dig it out and find out what it was called.  Gauld knew Jimmy from the first time he sat in a race car so he has so much background info.

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 12:33:42 AM »
Back in the 70's I read Faster by J Stewart,don't
know if it's stll out there.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle