collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jim Clark on braking  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Dare

Jim Clark on braking
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
Found this Clark article on his
theory on braking,thought you
may like it Steven

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=462960&d=1219704214

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Jim Clark on braking
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »
Now that was really interesting stuff. I don't think Jim would have had much truck with the massive amounts of simulation, pre-race tests and wandering around tracks that teams feel is necessary nowadays...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
Great find, Dare! Thanks. :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »
Thanks for that Dare.

I have seen similar comments from him in the past about braking into a false apex but the fixed braking point indicators is a first from Jim.  Bob Bondurant in his race driving instruction book goes on at length about trail braking into a corner and uses Clark as the example of how to do it perfectly.  The book is a must for anyone who wants to understand racing technique.

The best example I have ever come across of using fixed features for reference points relates to the Alfa Romeo team.  I can't remember the year or the circuit but it was lined with white stones and Alfa sent people to each corner to watch where their lead driver was braking.  The driver would signal exactly where he wanted his braking indicator and the Alfa man painted one of the white rocks bright red.

The bright red stones worked perfectly until the night before the race when one of the rival teams went out in darkness and painted dozens of rocks at every corner red.  So in addition to using things that need a bulldozer to move them you have to choose something that can't be disguised with a paint brush.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »
 :DD And presumably not bulldozers themselves in case they move during the race (though I don't know of any team that has actually made this mistake in F1)...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »
Good find Dare!   :good:

I have heard about Clark's false apex before, but not had such detail as he explains here. 

The most interesting point, for me, is the comment on overdriving and how a driver can be just as fast when he believes he is backing of a bit.

It's a way of thinking we see in this article, and an incredible ability to feel the limit of both the car and track, that sets Jim apart from the rest for me.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
Jackie Stewart said in his early days he was having difficulty with a corner at Spa, so he went to Clark, as a fellow Scot, for advice. He said the first thing Clark asked him was if he had crashed or gone off there. When Stewart replied no Clark said " well then you don't know if you're going as fast as you can, do you?" His braking technique points out why Lotus machanics said people who tried to run Clark's set-up usually came back complaning of severe understeer.
Lonny

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »
well then you don't know if you're going as fast as you can, do you?"

That sounds more like Gilles Villeneuve than Jim Clark.  I am really surprised he said that.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »
That's what Stewart reported, though it may not be a word for word quote. I was surprised when I read it because I didn't think it sounded like Clark either.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle