collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Singapore heros and zeros  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Dare

Singapore heros and zeros
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »
Hero's

Alonso-nice race and win.Is Renault back?

Williams-Rosberg's best finish ever and Nakajima
            in the points

Vettel-Another good finish,may be doubting his move
          to A team Red Bull

Ferrari pit crew-reminds me of the gang that
              couldn't shoot straight

Kimi- Anybody know what his problem is?oh
       another fast lap though

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Singapore heros and zeros
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
Heros-  Nico, what a brilliant display did all the right things at the right time and even deserved to win.  Glock, made Trulli look like an old man this weekend. Coulthard took his chance well in a car that is not the best he has driven, full marks for staying on it.

Zeros- Kimi, we all know why. Ferrari pit organisation, has probably cost Massa a shot at the Title. The Stewards, or were they overuled in the off track advantage stakes.

Special mention for Williams who got both their cars in the points, and should have had the Win.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »
Heroes - Lewis who actually won the race if you ignore Alonso's lucky pit stop and Rosberg's much delayed penalty

Alonso - was given an opportunity and converted it.  Did a great job

Williams - two cars in the top ten in qualifying and the only team to get two drivers in the points

The lighting people - I cannot believe how good the lights were

Zeroes - Ferrari - Bet they wish they still had Nigel Stepney drilling the mechanics

Stewards - Massa gets a drive through for exactly the same offence that got a fine in Valencia & it took them so long to decide that Rosberg had pitted when the pits were closed he took his penalty and came out fourth

Whoever gave the track a safety certificate - The marshals are ludicrously incompetent, the pit entry and exit are all wrong.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:53:04 AM »
Heros:

(ready for this one?) Piquet for shaking up the race...I practically fell asleep in the first half.  I almost wonder if Pat told him to pack it into the wall - the timing couldn't have been better for Alonzo.

Alonzo for not panicking (his race manager asked him not to) and keeping it off the walls and curbs for the race...special mention to Renault for a decent strategy, if not lucky.

Rosberg for giving it when he needed to.

Nakajima - at race speed passing Massa had to put a smile on his face.

Zeros:

Massa/Kimi/Ferrari - nothing more to be said.  Fast lap for Kimi again with no points...he must be gunning for a record of some kind (most fast laps in races without points...wonder what the stats are)

Trulli train strikes again.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

Re: Singapore hero's and zeros
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:41:10 AM »

Hero's:

Alonso for picking up the ball and running to the line with it.

Massa for clearly having enough speed and determination to win only to be let down by his team.

The Williams team - Go Frank Go!  :good:

Ferrari pit crew - for turning up for work again.  :-[

Zero's:

Kimi - what is going on there? Fastest lap again.  :crazy:

Ferrari - for using Fisher Price to design their auto pit light system.

Everybody thats asked me 'why the cars couldn't have headlights' and for saying 'the lights were so bright it might as well have been held during the day!'  :confused:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:17:32 PM »
Heroes:

1. Williams - Finally back to the front. Well done, Sir Frank!

2. Vettel - Another young lion, looking better every week.

3. Ferd - Won with a less-then-stellar car.

Special Mention: The Government of Singapore, for giving the drivers a Special Dispensation from their draconian littering laws, so that they could throw their tear-offs out of the car without being jailed & beaten.

Zeros:

1. Kimi - Once again, Fastest Lap & Shortest (almost) Race

2. The Ferrari Light System - I hope they have a good medical plan for their pit crew.

3. The Stewards - "Ferrari did what? Oh well, just a drive through."

Special Mention: Bernie - For putting a race in a totalitarian dictatorship where people can be jailed and beaten for littering or chewing gum.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:44:20 PM »
Heros-

My boys- A weekend to smile about for a change, could have gotten a race win if circumstances had been slightly different. 

Alonso- Showed what you would expect from a 2 time world champion, great drive

Villains-

Ferrari- I think the reasons why have been covered!

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »
Hero's

Nico, nice race even if the stewards were against you.
Alonso, Good to see you back.
Lights. good visability but I was hoping to see more brake heat and exhaust glow.

Zero's
Ferrari light system. Once again, releasing a driver before the team was ready.
Trulli, Once again you are a mobile chicane.
Max Mosley, Just because you are who you are.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
cosworth151, Singapore is not a dictatorship, totalitarian or otherwise. It just happens that the ruling party are extremely popular, partially due to their extremely hard-line stance on crime of any kind (yes, the people there value their low crime rate more than many would consider sensible). It's worth noting that littering doesn't get you in jail or beaten, "just" a four-figure-dollar fine (though other offences like arguing with the police about said littering can).

I hope the waiver the drivers signed included racing gloves. Otherwise Rubens Barrichello's purse will be considerably lighter...

Heroes

Rosberg - totally unexpected result, even managing to conquer a penalty given for having a specific fuel load in order to come 2nd and give Rosberg and Williams their best result since 2005.

Alonso - he was lucky, but he was also good. Except when he was bad into the first turn. OK then, fairly good. But he's still a hero.

Fisichella - After Saturday, I thought he didn't have a chance of doing anything in the race. And yet he nearly managed to make a one-stopper work, which I would have thought was itself impossible given the length of the race and the necessity to use both tyres...

Zeroes

The individual responsible for hitting the button on Massa's first pit stop - for making a complete hash of Massa's race, the mechanics' race (especially the bruised mechanic) and possibly the championships.

Massa - nearly hitting Sutil twice is not the way into a Force India fan's heart, even if the first of them was due to the above.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »
Heroes
Williams - and I wish them more luck in the future
Alonso - for making the most of a lucky break which perhaps he deserved after being so unlucky in Qualifying
Hamilton - the 'real' winner but also sensibly looked after the engine in preparation for the next race.

Zeros
Bernie - another awful track, boring, no real chance of overtaking and a huge Carbon footprint to further bring F1 into disrepute.
Ferrari - perhaps it is true that 'cheats never prosper'
FIA - amazing! An unsafe release when Ferrari are at the front results in a fine but an unsafe release when Ferrari are at the back results in a drive through.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
Sorry, Ali, but I have to stand by my statement. Groups from Amnesty International to Human Rights Watch to The Asia Forum on Human Rights have all reported extensively on the situation in Singapore. they have the highest per capita execution rate in the world. Religious groups, such as Jehovah's Witnesses, are banned and their members imprisoned. Even relatively minor infractions, such as littering or chewing gum, can result in caning. Caning is a "polite" word for being beaten with a club.

Even Bush's own State Department reported:

The government has broad powers to limit citizens' rights and to handicap political opposition, which it used. Caning is an allowable punishment for numerous offenses. The following human rights problems were reported: preventive detention, executive influence over the judiciary, infringement of citizens' privacy rights, restriction of speech and press freedom and the practice of self-censorship by journalists, restriction of freedom of assembly and association, limited restriction of freedom of religion, and some trafficking in persons.

- Country Reports on Human Rights Practices  - 2007 Released 11 March 2008
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
Now thats what Max needs,a beating
where its legal
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »
Monty,

It is unlikely Hamilton was looking after his engine for the next race.  He still has to use his joker to get a free engine and apparently you can't do that at the last race.  If he races his current engine in Japan he gets a fresh engine anyway for China and has to use the same one in Brazil meaning for the last three races he only has one new engine.  If he uses his joker engine in Japan and keeps it for China he then gets another fresh engine for Brazil meaning in two of the last three races he has a fresh engine.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:49 PM »
Cosworth, Singapore has an extremely harsh line on crime and has a very strange idea of human rights, I wouldn't deny that. Everything in the Country Reports on Human Rights Practices extract quoted by you is, to the best of my knowledge, completely true. However, the specific allegations you put against it are not strictly true. It is a multi-party democracy and natives of Singapore have confirmed to me that the minority political parties do not get any sort of repression (and at least one of these was pretty sceptical about the way Singapore does things). Also, littering itself doesn't get either corporal punishment or imprisonment unless the litterer does something on top of that. I mentioned arguing with the police because that in particular will lead to you getting the book thrown at you, and is a fairly frequent result of litterers being spotted by the police. The sort of behaviour towards the police that would net an unofficial warning in Britain would get you a solid six months in prison in Singapore.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
For heavens sake lets get the Singapore laws and police over here then. I remember seeing a member of the Singapore government being interviewed some time ago, after that Amarican lad was sentenced to six lashes of the cane for vandalising a local's car, the official said the car owner had worked and saved up to buy the car to take his family out and by what right did some hoodlum have to ruin it for him. Cars down my way regularly get vandalised because the scroats that do it know they will get away with it. The official also said that they very rarely get re-offenders. Bring it over here I say and lets get the scroats off the streets so that normal people can wander about freely without fear. Phew, that burned my brain out.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle