collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 624
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Changes afoot for the GP weekend  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Andy B

Changes afoot for the GP weekend
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »
So they are looking at changing the GP weekend format and do something on Fridays that will entertain the crowd, Ron Dennis said on Autosport that having a shootout on very hard tyres with the driver with the fastest time getting $1,000,000.
Like a GP driver needs a million dollars!! :nono:
Its an interesting thought though and there must be lots of options like eerrrrmmmm?
Ah! Let the public meet the drivers, have the pit lane open so we can walk through and see them working on the cars. Unlike at tests when the let you walk the pit lane and ensure you see nothing.
As for the cars running how about each driver nominates a charity in the country of the race and if that driver wins the million dollars it goes to that charity. :good:

But I'm sure someone will have other idea's. :tease:

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

Re: Changes afoot for the GP weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »
You kidding?  If the top three drivers share $19-20m a season, that's a pretty nice bonus, even on top of their salaries.  I agree with you about the pit lane walk-through and driver access.  I'd even be happy with a cameraman and (hopefully funny) reporter wandering the paddock - inside and outside the motorhomes.  Free access.  Show us the gee-whiz stuff they hide back there, and get a few off-the-cuff interviews. 

I would rather see some kind of heat races on the Friday, not one car on camera at a time doing time trials (I get enough of that on the Sunday at some of the more processional tracks).  But honestly, any improvement would be something.

More importantly, I think that Saturday could be improved by having two 20 minute, no refuelling, heat races with the first grid decided by lottery and the second a reverse of the finishing order of the first one.  Aggregate the times and you have Sunday's grid.  It would be a blast.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »
Yeah Scotty I like the idea of heat races but without a T car these days I think the teams will be reluctant to get involved. Also a full grid might be to much, so how about a 20 min quali with the resulting pack split into 2 tens with 20 mins heats for both to decide each section of the grid.

Andy, the Friday shoot out option sounds a lot like something else that happens at race weekends........ oh I know Qualifiying, but for money! :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:24:58 AM »
It worries me that anyone inside F1 thinks that Friday running is a major problem.  There are far bigger problems they should be dealing with than what to do on a Friday.

If they are going to change Friday's they should keep the F1 running as it is and add a Procar race for all the drivers or some other race where they all have identical equipment.  Lets bruise a few egos.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
If they are going to change Friday's they should keep the F1 running as it is and add a Procar race for all the drivers or some other race where they all have identical equipment.  Lets bruise a few egos.

I like the sound of that! :crazy: :good: >:D
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »
Having all the drivers competing in equal cars sounds great! I'm sure TV would buy into it, too.

The idea of an open pit lane, and open fan meetings with all the drivers is a very good one. Indy does that at the USGP on Thursday of race week-end.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »
They seem to be missing the fundamental point on why Friday audiences are low.  The vast majority of the target audience works Fridays so it doesn't matter what you put on people are not close to their TVs.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:16 PM »
Maybe they should move Friday activities to Thursday evening and have the press conference stuff on Friday instead. Though I doubt even that would raise audiences significantly. There are more important issues in F1 right now than this.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle