collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 529
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: WHAT ????????  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Steven Roy

WHAT ????????
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71638

The FIA and FOTA have reached agreement on cost cutting measures. The good news is no standard engines the insane news is from 2010 we will have standard KERS.  What is the point to that?  The whole point was that teams would compete to develop KERS now they are going to have standard units.  What is the point to that?  All that does is increase risk and give us the obscenity of a push to pass button in F1.

Offline johnbull

Re: WHAT ????????
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:27:22 PM »
Steven, there's a very valid reason for that. There's method in their madness.

We all know that Ferrari just can't get the KERS thing to work and are lagging way behind.  With their own effort they know they are going to be way uncompetitive. If they use someone elses they might at least have a hope in hell of being competitive.

Makes sense, doesn't it.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

TheStig

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:37:25 PM »
Details are emerging about the agreement reached between the FIA and FOTA, representing the F1 teams, following their meeting at Geneva today. A joint statement from the two declared “significant cost savings for 2009 and 2010″ had been agreed but added no further detail.

However Autosport has published details of some points of the agreement including changes to the 2009 F1 rules.

It seems some of the more alarming proposals, such as standard engines and shorter races, have been staved off. But the decision to make Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) standard components as early as 2010 is a surprise.

Autosport claims the following have been agreed:

Engines to last three races in 2009 - a FOTA proposal.

Manufacturers to supply 25 engines at a cost of €10m - presumably that is a year’s supply for one team. The FIA wanted such a supply for half that cost.

A new limit to be set on maximum testing distance - FOTA proposed a cut from 30,000km to 20,000km.

Future meetings to be held on reducing the cost of developing parts and extending the use of customer chassis

Standard KERS to be introduced from 2010 or 2011 - a significant change in Mosley’s position. As recently as this morning he said:

KERS will be essential on all road-going vehicles in the future, irrespective of their means of primary propulsion. The FIA therefore intends to keep KERS as a performance differentiator in Formula One and, indeed, increase its importance in 2011.

Since he first proposed KERS Mosley has been adamant that it would boost F1’s environmental credibility. But he seems to have conceded that the cost of allowing teams to develop these entirely new systems themselves is too great.

The prospect of only having to use a home-grown KERS for as little as one year will be good news for those teams known to be struggling with their development programmes ofr the hybrid systems, such as Ferrari.

The impression from these developments is that FOTA have had their way on a number of points and Mosley’s threats of radical changes such as standard engines has not cowed them into letting their position be undermined or provoking a split within their ranks.

That gives me the feeling we have not yet seen the full picture of what the future proposals are. Keep an eye on Mosley to see what his next move will be.

TheStig

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »
So is the FIA going to refund the amounts already spent by the teams on developing their own KERS systems?
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »
NO. It's trying to economise. At least that's what Max is trying to persuade us. ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:05:55 PM »
Standard KERS does not necessarily mean one supplier, it can also be working within a defined set of specs. It makes sense to decide on one direction to keep costs down, the teams may still end up with their own individual units.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:51 PM »
johnbull,

I cannot believe I didn't make the Ferrari connection.  I must be going senile to miss that.

Chameleon,

Not just what they have spent on development.  Williams bought a company so that they could tie up a flywheel system while everyone else was using batteries.

I don't understand the obsession with cutting testing.  Testing costs nothing.  It is the simulation tools (wind tunnels, CFD and the likes) that cost a fortune.  In the 70s and 80s teams used to go to Rio for weeks on end testing.

Offline Cam

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »
I don't understand the obsession with cutting testing.

I have always assumed it comes down to creating more variability at the race meet.  The more the teams test the more homogenous the cars become.  Less testing they are forced to do more setup work at the track with more possibility of getting it wrong so the field gets mixed up a bit more.  Also another way to get teh teams to spend more time on the track at the race.

cheers,
Cam
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:15 AM »
In principle that should be the case Cam but with simulators and the like they turn up with cars that are 90% there on set up and only have to make minor changes.  Even when they go to a new track they get very close on set up in the factory.  All you have to do is look at the times on the first run on a Friday morning and compare them to the best times of the weekend. 

THe days when teams arrived not know gear ratios or which wing to use are gone.  Now they may make minor changes but testing would make no difference to things.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 07:11:23 AM »
Testing is expensive! The teams have to pay for the facility, the crews, the wear and tear on parts, the occasional crashed car. Plus it's an obvious part of the game. The general public doesn't see the computer sims, wind tunnel hours,etc. But they certainly see the cars on the track since the media report it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
The cost of consumables (particularly bodywork-related ones) has gone through the stratosphere since the 1970s and 1980s. An entire car cost approximately $250,000 to build in 2004 (not counting R&D costs). That would have funded an entire team for a season in the days when Rio testing was common.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »
That $250,000 figure is for the car less engine, isn't it?

In any case, the cost of testing, like everything else in the sport, has gone through the roof. I liked the system they had a few years ago. Allow the teams to run a t-car and test driver on Fridays of race week-ends. The teams get valuable data on the actual track, and the fans get a better show for their (our) money!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »
I have no problem with the Friday test driver thing so long as all the teams get to run.  I don't like any situation where some teams are allowed to do something that others are banned from.  In principle though race weekends are about race drivers so if a third car and driver is going to be shipped all round the world let them race.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »
Absolutely!! Wouldn't 25 or 30 cars make a better show?
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
Cos, yes that figure was just for making the car. Given that a lot of it is replaced more frequently than the engine, and I've yet to see a figure for the cost of a single engine production without the R&D and assorted other costs, I thought it would be a suitable illustration of the effects of F1 inflation on the practicality of testing.

A version of the Heathrow agreement with all the teams involved would be very pleasing to me. It would also remove all need for in-season testing. It could cause problems because some tracks won't take 30 F1 cars in one go (the minimum a track must carry to get on the calender at the moment is 24) and therefore a split session arrangement of some kind would be necessary. Perhaps have the "third drivers" have the track to themselves for the morning and give the track to the race drivers in the afternoon?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle