collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 601
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams first to show new front wing.  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Andy B

Williams first to show new front wing.
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:21:27 PM »
Williams ran the wings for next season and it does not look as bad as I thought it would, I was also not aware that the driver would be able to adjust the front wing this makes much more interesting!! :yahoo:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72093

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

FW14B

Re: Williams first to show new front wing.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
Williams... first?!  Is this the 1990s all over again?!

Oh... a new wing combo  :'(  I must say I saw this on Autosport earlier and to be honest, it looks weird.  I am so used to the beefed up wings that this is just plain wrong.  I guess time will help me adjust though.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
The whole look is certainly cleaner than this years cars, it only took a race or two for us to get used to them, by the time of the first race we shall probably have forgotten what this years hedgehogs were like.

The wider front wings look very vunerable so I hope all the teams make plenty of spares.

When they announced adjustable wings I had a vision of driver operated fold ups so they could raise em in the heat of battle instead of losing them. If they break too many wings you never know the teams may take an interest. :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
The whole look is certainly cleaner than this years cars, it only took a race or two for us to get used to them, by the time of the first race we shall probably have forgotten what this years hedgehogs were like.

The wider front wings look very vunerable so I hope all the teams make plenty of spares.

When they announced adjustable wings I had a vision of driver operated fold ups so they could raise em in the heat of battle instead of losing them. If they break too many wings you never know the teams may take an interest. :crazy:

I am guessing after the season Nico just had that is why Williams had to get theirs out on track first so they can get into production very quickly!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:37 PM »
Looks like a pretty good tire scoop for getting the guy in front out of the way...oh wait, that's against the rules.  

I wonder how many they will go through as the drivers find the new boundaries - certainly another FIA instigated cost saving.   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline romephius

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
The front wing isn't my issue with just how ugly these cars are.... It's the rear wing.... it's like a hump on a supermodels back.... nice from the font... but as soon as you see the back you  :sick: almost instantly.  The new front wings are certainly going to be far less forgiving for those exciting wheel banging sessions some of the drivers seem to enjoy, but in my opinion, that makes for cleaner racing. 

For all those who say "rubbing is racing", I'll have to disagree, if you gotta hit someone to get past... then your just not good enough to get past.

But as always I could be wrong and this is just my opinion.

Rom

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
I agree with Rom about the rear wing. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to.

As for the new front wing, and the rest of the car, only one word comes to mind:

BLAND!

If this doesn't increase overtaking, turn the designers loose again!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:40:08 AM »
Surely the whole intention is to allow the cars to run closer in corners which in turn, no pun intended, allows closer racing with more overtaking.

Is it really 136 days till the Oz GP :'(
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
But the irony is that big ugly wing will be sticking itself in danger's way as the racing gets closer and will be broken off more often.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
I've just taken a second look at the picture of the Williams car, what are the high plates that appear to be attached to the sidepods. Are these Williams interpretation of the new areo regs or will all the cars be sporting them? :DntKnw:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »
There is an angle view on www.sawod.com/f1/ that shows a good side angle view.  Considering they said the bodies would be much cleaner next year, that is a pretty busy sidepod with funky little flaps and winglets - although all within that plate I think John is talking about.  I guess that maybe it's an interim car and that they are not finished sorting out the new aero regulations, and so aren't actually following them.  I noticed the car also is running treaded tires, so something's not quite right.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:34 AM »
After a second look and a little thought I've
come to the conclussion that the new front
wing makes me want to  :sick:

I cant see me ever getting used to these
new wings.They just don't fit the car right
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 08:01:12 AM »
Old CART front wing and hybrid sprint car rear wing.  Looks ridiculous.  I'm sure the sponsors are happy they have big billboards, but I think when people see them they will be running to the washroom  :sick: :sick: and come back and change the channel, completely defeating the purpose.

FW14B

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 08:46:32 AM »
The work on the Williams interim car is just what they had during the 2008 season.  Only BMW seem to have a full interpretation of the new regs on their interim car.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »
I could never understand why a particular smiley existed.  Then I saw the BMW

:sick:   :sick:   :sick:   :sick:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle