collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 262
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16165 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12997 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jenson Button fumes after promise reneged  (Read 3252 times)

TheStig

Jenson Button fumes after promise reneged
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »
The telephone lines had been ringing red hot on the desks of the men with the power to hire and fire in Britain's Formula One teams long before Ross Brawn and Nick Fry got to their feet to deliver the bad news.

Word that Honda were pulling out of Formula One had spread like a bush fire through what they call the Silicon Valley of motor racing. The weather might not be Californian but the triangle of central England - with its points at Oxford, London and Northampton - is Britain's answer to the USA's technological hothouse. And Formula One stands at the apex of a motor racing industry that remains a world leader and employs an estimated 60,000 people in Britain.

Honda's factory at Brackley in Northamptonshire is glossy, opulent and packed with some of the best brains in motor racing. By late Thursday night, though, those brains were being exercised to find ways of securing new jobs quickly before Honda's Christmas deadline to sell the team.

The announcement by Brawn, the team principal, and Fry, the chief executive, was little more than a formality for many who knew what was coming. By then, engineers, top people in the marketing departments and support staff had already been calling other teams to discover whether they had a chance of finding alternative employment.

Brawn, brought in only last year on a salary thought to be about £4million, seems ready to see out the crisis and is playing a leading part in finding a buyer. But he is one of the most employable men in motor racing having been the technical genius behind Michael Schumacher's seven Formula One world titles, at Benetton and Ferrari. Even if Honda fold, Brawn is unlikely to be out of work for long.

But heading the dole queue could be Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello, Honda's drivers. The Brazilian is almost certainly headed for an unexpected retirement, but Button has been left high and dry because of his loyalty to Honda. In 2003, he joined what was then the BAR Honda team, before the Japanese carmaker bought out British American Tobacco's shares, and he committed his future to the team with another three-year contract only a few weeks ago.

This summer, Button had offers from four other teams after four years of desperate underachievement in a car way off the pace of Ferrari or McLaren Mercedes, with whom Lewis Hamilton won his maiden world championship last month. But he was convinced by Fry and Brawn to stay with the promise that 2009 would make him a winner again.

It is only ten days since Button was in Japan to meet Honda's top executives at the “Honda Thanksgiving Day”. Yesterday, the embarrassment clearly told among Honda's top executives as Takeo Fukui, the company's chief executive, apologised to Button during his announcement in Tokyo that Honda was quitting.

“It is a real shame and I feel deeply sorry for Jenson Button,” Fukui said. “I didn't speak to Jenson so I don't know his reaction.” The answer is both furious and devastated. This was a young driver who burst into Formula One with the same impact as Lewis Hamilton eight years ago, yet finds himself today with only one victory to his name and little chance of finding a seat at another team. A source close to the Briton said last night: “So much for loyalty.” At least Button will not be worried that he will have to join the Government's new mortgage help scheme with his £12million salary already banked.

But the 600 team members at Brackley may. They range from cleaners and canteen workers to executives and aerospace engineers on massive salaries that will be difficult to find outside the rarefied financial atmosphere of Formula One. Mechanics are highly trained engineers, used to working with the most sophisticated equipment. Jock Clear, Barrichello's chief engineer and the man who guides the driver through each race, has a degree in mechanical engineering from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. His salary is not known but it is not unusual for chief engineers to earn up to £200,000 a year. Clear is the sort of man who could be cherry-picked by a rival team.

But many face an uncertain future as other teams contemplate cutbacks and job losses with sponsors examining whether Formula One is cost-

effective. Workers will have to be shed as Formula One feels the global financial crisis like any other industry, with the ripples spreading out to the dozens of firms who supply the teams.

This could be when Formula One's high-rollers discover that the credit crunch is going to bite even into their exotic lifestyles and mega-salaries.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article5295516.ece

TheStig

If i  was Divorcing Bernie,now is the time!....It will please cosworth

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
Re: Jenson Button fumes after promise reneged
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »
Well, well and I thought the Japanese were supposed to always act with scrupulous honesty!

Deplorable, but perhaps reveals the depths into which this once glorious and proud sport has fallen and may be has to unravel itself, even to die, to become great again.

I feel a sadness for all the ordinary workers displaced by this sad move but jenson you yourself reneged on a firm contract with WILLIAMS to go to HONDA.

Future world champions do not make silly and stupid decisions like that so tut tut mate.........

those who live by the sword often die from it. 
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »
As much as I like Button and would love to see him back in a Williams, he is far from loyal.  We should not forget that it was two consecutive years he attempted to jump ship, first to Williams and then out of a Williams contract.  There was no loyalty there, merely eyeing up the better prospect.  I hope he gets a seat, but those close to Button should be careful what they say.  Thankfully there are no direct quotes from Jenson!

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:59:35 AM »
Absolutely - Loyalty is one thing that could not be associated with Jenson Button.  Going after the big buck is what left him in a Honda team that had lost its' way, and now as the ultimate karma, he finds himself without a drive next year.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »
I see no direct quote in that piece from Jens to show he is "fuming", sure just like everyone at Honda F1 he will feel let down but the sudden decision is usual in coporate matters like this.

Button chose to stay at Honda for the money and promise of a better car in future, I hope he can find another drive because I think he is worthy of it. If not well that's the breaks and plenty of others have suffered the same.

Jens has been around Motor racing a long time and will know this is not personal and take it in his stride.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
I like John don't think Button was fuming,shocked
might be a better word

Poses 3 questions{at least}

Did the Honda bigwigs know they were pulling out
when Button signed his contract

What 4 teams were after Button

And what team would rush to hire Honda engineers
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:24:37 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »
1 - probably...why else sign him for 3 more seasons when he hasn't shown much promise.

2 - Jordan/Spyker/Midland/FIF1   :yahoo:

3 - Good one   :yahoo:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »
I wonder when the drivers first found out about this. It might explain some of Rubens' recent behaviour.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline greener_09

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »
Being English i cant help but feel sorry for JB. He showed alot of loyaty to Honda only to be slapped in the face when the goin got tough.When he bought himself out of his contract i had a feeling it was a bad idea cos i didnt see Honda going anywhere and he was on top form at the time and could have been successfull.I can only hope other teams can see his skill in a race car and give him a chance.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
Honda gave button the money to buy himself out of his Williams contract.  He was only loyal to the big cheques Honda were writing for him.  The idea of his loyalty to the team is overstated as there has not at any time been a queue of good teams wanting to sign him.

Offline greener_09

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »
I thought the buy out of the contract had to come out of his own money.I heard this at the time my mistake sorry.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
My theory as to the 4 teams chasing Button?

Tyrrell/BAR/B.A.R. (yes, there's a branding difference)/Honda.

Still, this has got to be a rough time for him, just like it is for the other 800 employees at Brackley.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 10:55:10 PM »
Sorry for the ordinary working "Joe" at Honda that will now face a belt tightening Christmas with an uncertain future.

Not too sorry for Jens ...maybe time to hang up the helmet mate. One win in 8 seasons, not a glowing resume. 

Can't be too many team trying to beat down his door with pens in hand.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Now there's a two faced guy - shows up one day at Brackley to encourage the team to stick together and try to keep its' value high for a new buyer.  The very next day he is trying to tear up his contract and bolt to STR.  Loyalty?  Um, no.  Hypocrisy?  Um, yeah.  As is his way - chase the mighty dollar.  I wonder if he will return Honda's $20m that he apparently has already banked.

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »
I hope he does keep it. The way I read it, it was STR that approached Jensen, I hope he goes there.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle