collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 274
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Porsche Calls for Multi-Sport Standard Engines  (Read 1275 times)

Offline cosworth151

Porsche Calls for Multi-Sport Standard Engines
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »
Porsche research and development board member Wolfgang Durheimer has said they would like to see various series adopt a standard base-specification for racing engines in international competition.

"[We are evaluating] world motorsports racing engine concepts because many rules at present are going to be written in a new form [soon]. It starts with the Formula One of the future, [Le Mans], IndyCar. If we would be successful to suggest one engine base that fits different series, it would be much easier for us to go into different series because you wouldn't have to develop everything from scratch. If you have a base engine, one team can race Indy, ALMS, F1, and if you [always have] four cylinders, turbocharged, 2.X-liters, I think it would be a big chance for us. And this is the way we are working in some roundtable discussions."

I don't like the idea. How about the rest of you?

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

Re: Porsche Calls for Multi-Sport Standard Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
There's nothing like leaving it to the free flair and imagination of the designer.

If we had these sort of rules in the past we would never have had 1000 plus bhp turbo formula 1 engines to talk about, or Porsche 917s, or BRM H16 engines, or so many other great things that are now part of International motorsport's folklore.

Why does everybody want to be so dull these days.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
Makes no sense to me, the individuality of the different series makes for more interest, being to proscriptive will make racing very dull.  :nono:

If all the Motor Sports rule makers had chosen the mediocre compromise route then we would never have seen Chapman's ground effect cars, or even the switch to rear engines.

F1 in particular has always pushed the boundaries further and should stay doing just that.

If Porsche can't, or won't, compete with the boys in F1 let them stay in the other branches of the sport tinkering with their multi use power plants. :P
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:50:25 AM »
We did have more or less the same spec engines for F1 and WSC in the 90s when both had 3 litre engines

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
I miss the days when we could tell what marque of car was coming by the sound. A Ford-Cosworth V8 sounded far different than a Ferrari V12 or a Matra V10. It's one of the things I like best about ALMS.

I think the engines are far too standardized now. If Ferrari wants a V12, Cosworth a V8 and someone else a V10, V6 or even a I4, let'em! Set a displacement limit, maybe a rev limit, and let the chip fall where they may>
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
Too true Cos, lets get some individuality back into the sport.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »
Too true Cos, lets get some individuality back into the sport.

No. Unfortunately things are different now. Max wants to show his power. He wants to tell designers and manufacturers how many piston rings to put on each piston, and how many bolts to tie down the heads.

Perhaps it makes him feel good ................... at our expense.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »
We know JB, but would'nt it be nice.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

TheStig

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »
They must know that all the engines in the future will bcome standardised for racing purposes.

TheStig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle