collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 559
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie attacks Ferrari  (Read 911 times)

TheStig

Bernie attacks Ferrari
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has hit back at criticism from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo by detailing how much more money the Italian team receive from the sport than their rivals.

"Ferrari get so much more money than everyone else," the 78-year-old billionaire told Saturday's edition of the Times newspaper.

"They know exactly what they get, they are not that stupid, although they are not that bright, either. They get about $80 million more," added the Briton.

"When they win the constructors' championship, which they did this year, they got $80 million more than if McLaren had won it."

Ferrari are the sport's most glamorous and successful team, the only ones still in Formula One who were also present at the outset of the world championship in 1950.

It has never been a secret that the Maranello team receive a greater share of the sport's revenues in recognition of their special importance but a figure has not previously been revealed.

Ecclestone's remarks followed comments by Di Montezemolo in which the Italian said Formula One was not run in a normal, transparent manner, did not need a dictator and that teams should get a greater share of the revenues.

"The only thing he has not mentioned is the extra money Ferrari get above all the other teams and all the extra things Ferrari have had for years -- the `general help' they are considered to have had in Formula One," said Ecclestone.

The Briton added that Ferrari benefited from agreeing a new deal with him after breaking ranks with the other manufacturers in 2003 when they were threatening a breakaway series.

"They were the only team that broke ranks with the other manufacturers -- why did they break ranks?" he said. "That's where the $80 million comes in."

Ecclestone suggested Ferrari might like to share some of the money with the other teams rather than seeking more from him.

"What he (Montezemolo) should do, rather than asking for money, with all the extra money Ferrari gets, he should share all that amongst the teams," he said.

TheStig

http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/news/12_dec/2008/14.html

Offline Scott

Re: Bernie attacks Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
Wow, talk about opening a can of worms...I guess we all knew there had been some sort of backroom deal, but an extra $80million for a constructors win, just because they happen to be Ferrari?   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
I am really confused with F1 politics now.  I thought Berni, Max and Ferrari were all on the same side now Bernie has done this I don't know what to think.  I am not remotely surprised that Ferrari were getting so much extra.  They have always had a far better deal than anyone else and then when they stabbed the GPMA in the back they got a hike on their deal.

It is criminal that any team has an in built unfair advantage.  How can anyone ever again believe the FIA when they say that insane stewarding decisions are not the result of bias when one team is favoured financially to such a degree.

I can only assume Bernie is trying to split the current McLaren/Ferrari alliance.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:17:08 PM »
I thought Bernie, Max and Ferrari were all on the same side now Bernie has done this I don't know what to think.

Could this be a classic "rats and a sinking ship" scenario?

I recall, several years ago, Paul Stoddart and Eddie Jordan complaining that even their small teams had to pay into a fund that went mostly to Ferrari. The stated reason was "Ferrari's historical importance to F1."

The thing I find most astounding about this whole affair is that I actually agree with Luca! :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
Hey guys, will somebody give Bernie another drink.....or three.
He just might come out with more. :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle