collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 556
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jack Brabham Honored at Sebring  (Read 1599 times)

Offline cosworth151

Jack Brabham Honored at Sebring
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the first true US Grand Prix (not counting that the Indy 500 was a points race in the 50's). The race was won by Bruce McLaren, but Jack Brabham won the season title by finishing fourth. He had run out of gas on the last lap.

Sir Jack's son, David, will commemorate his father's historic championship by driving the same Cooper Formula One car around the Sebring circuit prior to the start of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

"It is a bit of a lifetime experience for me because I have never driven one of his cars," stated David. "It is such a unique opportunity, not only to drive one of his cars, but also to do it at the track 50 years after he won his first Formulas One Championship."

"The track at Sebring was unbelievably rough when I drove there in 1959," stated Sir Jack Brabham. "I was very pleased I was driving a Cooper, which was a very strong car."

"It was interesting to hear dad's comment that Sebring was unbelievably rough," added David. "Fifty years later, nothing has changed! I am probably expecting a bit of a smoother ride in the old car as it has a lot more suspension travel than my Acura."

The track has always been rough. Like many British tracks, it's an old, World War 2 airfield. One of the things I remember most about the track is standing at the entrance to Sunset Bend, where the cars brake hard at the end of the Ulmann Straight. The cars make a staccato chatter as they skip across the high spots on the pavement. The skid marks look more like dashed lines!

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Jack Brabham Honored at Sebring
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
A great example of how expectation affects opinion.  Jack Brabham thought Sebring in a Cooper was really rough and you just know any modern driver is going to rave about how smooth it is compared to the modern cars.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle