collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 621
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel gets grid penalty for Malaysia  (Read 1500 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Vettel gets grid penalty for Malaysia
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »

Well we know one man who wont be on pole in Malaysia.

Sebastian Vettel has been given a 10-place grid penalty for the Malaysian Grand Prix next weekend following his clash with Robert Kubica in Melbourne.

Vettel crashed with BMW Sauber's Kubica with three laps to go when the Pole tried to overtake him around the outside.

Both men were forced to retire later on.

The German driver's Red Bull team was also fined $50,000 for instructing Vettel to stay on track despite running on three wheels.

By Pablo Elizalde, Autosport.com

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: Vettel gets grid penalty for Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I think Kubica was just
as much to blame as Vettel.As far as the
fine I think Vettel may have watched Giles on Youtube
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
I think Vettel was punished as he was too honest about his part in the crash after the incident.  Too many comments about having to fight for the place.  But I thought both were as bad as each other.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »
In any case, the ten grid position penalty is excessive. The overtaking move looked like it might have been a bit overly enthusiastic, but I thought the goal was more overtaking at the end of a race. I think a warning, with an added penalty for any further such occurrence, would have been plenty.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »
Yeah, I would have called it a racing incident and left it at that, although the fine for running on three wheels was justified.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Number 38

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:46 AM »
My view on the Vettel/Kubica crash ... for what it's worth ... it looked like Vettel's tyres were giving up, he was loosing ground to Button and being caught up by Kubica, his hands were full. He slipped and touched Kubica, actually apologized to his team over the radio. It was just a 'racing incident', there was no malice and no need for that penalty.   
Concerning Kubica's agressive driving or overly enthusatic attempt at a pass ........ isn't that what Bernie is pushing with his 'most wins' scheme. Bernie says: "drivers will take more risks" and now we see the consequences.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
In theory, the correct penalty for attempting to finish with a car not in compliance with the Technical Regulations is disqualification. I know Vettel basically disqualified himself, but still...

The accident was six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. I respect Vettel for apologising, even if he's now having to pay for it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:07:25 AM »
Once again, the FIA are penalizing passing (or an attempt at passing).  Is it not about time they just mandate a big rubber bumper around the cars (like go-karts) so at least the cars just bounce off each other and keep going?  Soon they will start to penalize driving that COULD have caused an incident.  In racing, cars occasionally bump into each other.  Some people watch racing just for that...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
Once again, the FIA are penalizing passing (or an attempt at passing).  Is it not about time they just mandate a big rubber bumper around the cars (like go-karts) so at least the cars just bounce off each other and keep going?  Soon they will start to penalize driving that COULD have caused an incident.  In racing, cars occasionally bump into each other.  Some people watch racing just for that...

good point Sd - i watch motor racing to see a race not a b procession

IMO both guys are racers and they created a racing incident in going for a win or to finish higher

sure they need to do it cleaner - and in future will do so - but to penalise one of them sends the wrong message
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle