collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 588
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Santander and Ferrari  (Read 3853 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Santander and Ferrari
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:01:36 PM »

If this report is true then the speculation about Nando switching to the Reds may also be true.

Speculation that the Spanish bank Santander is set to switch from McLaren to Ferrari got a fresh shot in the arm last weekend.

Photographed entering the famous Italian team's private building in Bahrain, for a 20 minute meeting with Luca di Montezemolo, was Santander boss Emilio Botin.

Spain's Marca sports newspaper reports that Botin also met with Fernando Alonso at the Sakhir track, as well as Bernie Ecclestone.   

Botin's meeting with Ecclestone explains the F1 Chief Executive's eye-wateringly bright red jacket on the grid of the Sakhir race: apparently it was a gift from the Santander chief.

E.A. © CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Santander and Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
There's a joke in the USA that NASCAR fans will buy anything from the sponsors of their favourite drivers.

Is there the same appeal for F1 sponsors?

It's tough to say for me, since most F1 sponsors don't have products available in Canada!

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:28:07 AM »
Every time you turn around there is another rumour or someone going to Ferrari.

How many cars are they going to field next season?

Kimi will not stay there long unless they can give him a winning car very soon. And before long we will start to hear Massa start to whine.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
There's a joke in the USA that NASCAR fans will buy anything from the sponsors of their favourite drivers.

I think we're mixing this up with the other thread about someone who likes Pontiac not being caught dead in a Chevy...was Cos just talking about NASCAR fans?   :crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
The brand loyalty of NASCAR fans was legendary during the sports glory days.

http://www.jmu.edu/kinesiology/pdfs/NASCAR.pdf

was Cos just talking about NASCAR fans?

Even more so for NHRA fans. In both cases, I've seen fist fights break out between Chev & Pont fans.

It's long been accepted that one of the reasons that Richard Petty became the most popular drive in the history of the sport was that he did it driving a Plymouth. While Ford, Chevy & Pontiac fan would never, EVER cheer for someone driving one of the other two marques, they all thought Plymouth was OK as a "second string" pick.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
And before long we will start to hear Massa start to whine.
Why? Did he ever stop whining ? :DntKnw:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
The Santander to Ferrari rumour is hardly new.  It was doing the rounds early last year.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »
Would Ferrari paint their car Santander Red like they did for Marlboro, or keep the scarlet?

Offline Willy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
I must agree with you johnbull, Massa has never stopped whining.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:31:36 AM »
Given that the Renault is currently about even with the Ferrari, why would Alonso switch? Does he have unlimited faith in their ability to produce? This is the first car that is a total departure from the Schumacher Days and they mucked it up pretty well.

Lonny

Lonny

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 02:34:41 AM »

Is there the same appeal for F1 sponsors?

Good question.  Speaking personally, I would have to say that I have never been swayed in my purchasing by the fact that a product is advertised in F1.  That may not be true for all F1 fans, however.  It is just possible that large numbers have been moved to try Red Bull since their entrance to the game - although I only know this because of all the people I've heard say it tastes awful...

Otherwise, I think it is the same old advertising game as in any other sport - splash the name all over the place and you're bound to get the occasional hit.  It is more effective if the advertiser links their F1 sponsorship with a campaign in other media, as ING did.  The problem then is deciding how much of any increase in sales figures is due to F1 and how much to the other forms of advertising.

There does not seem to be the same linking of brand name with driver as exists in NASCAR, however.  Perhaps F1 fans are a bit more cynical and realise that their favourite driver doesn't really use Alavert or quake at the sight of escalators (current American TV ads).
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
I'm actually the opposite.  I avoid sponsors of teams I really don't like.  For example I will never buy a FIAT (or Chrysler now), get gas at Shell, smoke Marlboro or date a woman named Alice.   :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »
I'm actually the opposite.  I avoid sponsors of teams I really don't like.  For example I will never buy a FIAT (or Chrysler now), get gas at Shell, smoke Marlboro or date a woman named Alice.   :crazy:

Hah, there speaks a true Ferrari anti-fan!

But have FIAT bought Chrysler?  I knew they were thinking of it but haven't seen any decision announced.  Considering that just about every other car manufacturer has either owned Chrysler or been owned by it at one time or another, I suppose it's just FIAT's turn...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
I feel the same way as Scotty. I've stopped going to Home Depot and NAPA. I've even given up on Little Debbies!  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
.oO(Hmmm, I'm going to have to start watching NASCAR races to find out what products I mustn't buy...)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle