collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 592
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rubens replacement ?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline crazytalk

Rubens replacement ?
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »
Hi all, i know it still early days n all that but i have been thinking who will replace Rubens next year ( not that i dont rate him, but Brawn gp will need some fresh blood soon) and i came up with Anthony Davidson, what do you all think ???

http://brawnf1.myforumx.com

Offline Jericoke

Re: Rubens replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »
It's certainly early to tell... no idea what Brawn's budget will be next season (indeed, thanks to Max and Luca, no one has any idea what next year's budge will be).  If they fade quickly it will be far different from if they go on to win a championship.  As reighning champs, they will be in a position to lure a top driver, or also bring along a hot prospect.

I don't think Davidson fits either category.  I'd bet he'd do very well in Button or Barichello's seat, but he's not a top driver, as far as drawing sponsors are concerned, nor his he a hot prospect at 30.

I'm not familiar with the development programmes or feeder series, so I can't say who that might be.

Of course, I say there's a good chance for Honda to say 'Just kidding, we're going to race in 2010', and take over Brawn; in which case I guess it's Sato ;-)

Offline Number 38

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »
DAVIDSON gets my vote and he worked well with Button at B.A.R.
Second choice ..... Pedro De La Rosa ..... probably not a chance, he's honor-bound to McLaren but he'd better realize he'll never RACE for them again, Brawn would be a good way to exit F1. Third choice, Christian Klien although he's probably in line for Heidfeld's seat.
Why these three?  Ross Brawn has never used rookie drivers, opted for Barrichello's experience over the greenhorn, novice, rookie ...... Senna.  Ever notice the namesakes rarely match their seniors, Rosberg, son of Rosberg is going no where, Piquet son of Piquet .... enough said,  Senna, nephew of Senna......why waste your time/money?
Having said all this I'd not rule out Barrichello for next year!

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »
I agree 38!With Button establishing himself as a star
why upset the wheel barrel.Ruebens always has been
a solid number 2 drivers so let thinds be
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
Ever notice the namesakes rarely match their seniors, Rosberg, son of Rosberg is going no where, Piquet son of Piquet .... enough said,  Senna, nephew of Senna......why waste your time/money?

I'm sure that Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve might disagree with you.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
Ross Brawn has never used rookie drivers, opted for Barrichello's experience over the greenhorn, novice, rookie ...... Senna. 

No, Brawn hasn't used a rookie since 1991.  How did Michael Schumacher's career turn out anyway?

Having said all this I'd not rule out Barrichello for next year!

Rubens is going to have to be pried out of a Formula One Car, and I don't see him being forced out of Brawn.  At the same time, any of the new teams would be wise to bring him (or AD, or PDL) in to help ground the team.

The question is... what does Brawn need in a new driver?  Are they looking for someone to push Button?  Are they looking for someone to support Button?  Or are they looking to groom someone to replace Button?  As I said earlier, future budgets will have a huge impact on this.  If there's no guarantee of a future, they need a driver who can win now.  If there is going to a be future for Brawn, they'll need to make sure they have a low cost driver who will be a star in the future.

Brawn is in the most unique position:  a winning team without deep pockets!  F1 is not kind to these enterprises.  They can't be run like Ferrari, they can't be run like Force India.  Luckily, Brawn seems to know exactlyl how they are to be run.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »
I agree about Ross Brawn. He is one of the most capable managers in the paddock. I would rank him right up there with Ron Dennis.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »
I agree about Ross Brawn. He is one of the most capable managers in the paddock. I would rank him right up there with Ron Dennis.

With all respect due Dennis as a business man, I'd put Brawn ahead in the running of a winning F1 Team.  He has now assembled three different winning teams.  (Well, okay, Ferrari was just Benneton all over again, but still...)  When Schumacher was rattling off championships the Ferrari team was functioning on another level.  The race strategies were superior, preperation was superior, the pit stops were superior.  Anyone can make the best F1 car, but getting race day right counts for at least an extra 10 seconds.  Brawn has been able to find those 10 seconds and make them 15.

Rubens replacement will be a revelation, and probably a surprise.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
Try Kubica then.  I reckon he'll get fed up with BMW and leave at the end of this year.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
I think they should stick with Barrichello.  I don't see a need to change.  It is absolutely beyond me what people see in Anthony Davidson.  The guy has so many fans but he has never done anything to justify the belief that he is someone who is a front of the grid driver.

I would go for Senna.  He brings the marketing value of the name and every season he has improved and is still improving.  He is not Ayrton but no-one else on the grid is either.  It is wrong to judge drivers against fathers, uncles, brothers etc.

There are a heap of talented young drivers who are worth trying.   Paul di Resta won the F3 Euroseries championship when he was Vettel's team mate and he is a Merc man.  Nico Hulkenburg, Adam Carroll and Lucas di Grassi all deserve a chance in F1.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
It is absolutely beyond me what people see in Anthony Davidson.  The guy has so many fans but he has never done anything to justify the belief that he is someone who is a front of the grid driver.

Steven, I'm sure you remember how A D used to p*ss on Jenson Button in Karts and in FF and F3.

I think he deserves a chance, though as far as Rubens at Brawn is concerned, I do think Ross should keep him; at least for the time being.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Number 38

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »
While I've got John Bull behind me ...... he's correct,  and I'll add, Davidson is a crack DRIVER, he just never got the chance to RACE.......really Super Augri needed him more than he wanted to be there. His time there tarnished his reputation but a RACE seat is a seat and there are so few who would turn it down? Had he got the Barrichello seat three years ago ............ and with sucess comes financial backing, Brawn GP is the most recent example. Read more than one forum, 'lil Ant' is a popular driver everywhere, he's just never got the "big" chance. But then F1 history is filled with those who could have been.......

Offline Number 38

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
In re-reading the thread, Clive has brought up an interesting prospect ....... Kubica.
I don't know that Brawn has plans to replace Barrichello or have they any interest in Kubica, but Kubica MAY be disgruntled enough with this years BMW that he may look
for a new home, and I would think one of the NEW ENTRIES may snap him up.
Brawn,Toyota and Red Bull are the curent hot seats and none of them are available.
Kubica is not going to move UP, his move would be more lateral but replacing Piquet might not be a bad move.

Back on topic, I'll give Jericoke credit for this, 'Rubens is going to have to be pried out of a Formula One Car" ....... I'll bet he'd drive for free! Frankly, given a good car (Ferrari or Brawn), he doesn't crash, he always finishes and always in the points !!!!! He's called "reliable". 

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »
I don't see it.  I'm not a Kubica fan.  He is just another guy who can drive a perfect car to a win, but if it is the least bit lacking, he struggles in midfield or worse and then just whines and whines about it afterwards. 

I rate Davidson ahead of Kubica.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
I don't see it.  I'm not a Kubica fan.  He is just another guy who can drive a perfect car to a win, but if it is the least bit lacking, he struggles in midfield or worse and then just whines and whines about it afterwards. 

I rate Davidson ahead of Kubica.

I'm part Polish, and if anyone had to replace Villeneuve, I'm glad it was a Pole ;-)

I guess that AD is running into the same wall as Senna:  the grid already has several Brits and Brazillians.  If two drivers are more or less equal, why not bring in the one from Poland or France?

I'd love for the top 20 drivers to be the ones who fill the grid, but I also appreciate that if you're not going to win anyway, why not build a fanbase? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle