collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: No to London GP  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Wizzo

No to London GP
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:12:11 PM »

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has insisted that Formula One will not be staged in the British capital.  :(

At an event on Thursday to announce London's route of the 2007 Tour de France, he said organising a Grand Prix would not make economical sense.

"To get a Grand Prix you are talking about $56.5 million," Livingstone was quoted as saying by the British Guardian broadsheet.

"If I dipped into the council tax payers' pockets to come up with $56.5 million for a Grand Prix I don't think I would be able to walk safely down the streets."

London's West End flirted with the sport in 2004 for the popular 'London comes to Regent Street' F1 street parade.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

Re: No to London GP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »
Didn't think it would happen anyway wizard, did you?
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:15:05 PM »

No I must admit it was always going to be a very, very long shot indeed.

Just the logistics of running a GP in london would be a nightmare - then the roads would all need changing/updating. Can you ever imagine all the different organisations in London actually talking to each other with one goal in mind?

I wish it was going to happen, but I don't think it ever will, I hope they prove us wrong Ian.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Wizzo

davewilson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
Ken Livingston can't be Mayor Forever can he?I think it should be up to the Sports Minister to have the shout on this one.
Just think how much Ken would make in congestion charges for this un-event,bet he forgot that angle..

The Stig

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
Going back to what Livingtsone said about safely walking the streets was the average Londoner given a choice on the olympics, most of the blokes I work with live in London and they all said STUFF the olympics cos' it's them thats gotta pay for it and let some other idiots have it. Ask the Greeks   :nono:

davewilson

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »
If the Olympics were not happening in London,and all the money being ploughed into the project, i think it could have happened?

The Stig

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »
 Don't think it's PC enough for the sporty crowd Stig  :bored:

davewilson

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
They are the ones missing out,and come to think of it so are we.
I just wish they could get there act together.There are loads of places who would love a GP.
Abu Dhabi are looking for a street race, and have plans to build a circuit on one of the islands.
They have become Bernie's New Mates.

The Stig

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »

Thats because they have fore-site and more importantly - money! Now that IS Bernie's best mate!

Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle