collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 252
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel needs a manager - Stewart  (Read 1692 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Vettel needs a manager - Stewart
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »

JYS is usually right about most things in F1, but is he right on this occassion?

Sebastian Vettel should rethink his policy of not employing a manager, according to triple World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart.

21-year-old German Vettel, the only driver other than Jenson Button to have won a race this season, negotiated his BMW, Toro Rosso and Red Bull assignments with the assistance only of his father Norbert, and an external lawyer.

"Up until now he didn't need a manager," Scot Stewart, 69, told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"But he will not be able to imagine what is going to happen to him if he really becomes a superstar," Stewart added.   

Stewart, also a team owner and boss at the end of the 1990s, believes Red Bull driver Vettel has not yet reached his peak of popularity, which will complicate the handling of his own affairs.

"He will become so big that he needs someone to guide him through the things that, apart from driving, are important," he continued.

"He will be dealing with people like politicians, heads of big companies. He should be prepared for that," Stewart pointed out.

D.B. © CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Vettel needs a manager - Stewart
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »
I'm sure a rise to fame catches many off guard.  I'm assuming that Vettel is trying to remain 'humble'.  After all, there's all kinds of movies and TV shows showing how nasty people with an entourage become.  Who wants that in their life?

So who should Vettel look up to, off track career wise?  I'm guessing his hero is Michael Schumacher.  Should Vettel look up Willie Weber? 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
So far, I think Vettel's instincts have been correct. He does consult with his dad on big things (though unlike Anthony and Lewis Hamilton, no formal management contract exists between them that I know about) so it's not like he has absolutely no support on that side. If he does need extra support in a specific part of the role of being a superstar, then I suspect Sebastian will know when to start looking - and hopefully will then figure out who he needs to add to his team.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
I'm not sure he needs a manager at the moment.  Perhaps when the big dollars come calling, he might want to employ one, but day to day, I think they are more for a driver's ego.  Perhaps it's because a driver can't deal with the people around him, so he needs one to insulate him from people he doesn't want to, or can't deal with.  If Vettel is as comfortable in his own skin as he appears to be, then he likely doesn't need one for those reasons.  If all he needs one for is to negotiate with the big teams for a contract, then he'd probably be better off with a bulldog lawyer.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
Actually, I think Vettel is rather a good advertisement for drivers not having managers.  He has done perfectly well without one so far and is able to discuss things with his dad without dragging him into the arena for the press to make cheap potshots at.  Wise young man.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
I guess it depends on how clued up his father is and no doubt JYS has met him.

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »
I agree 100% with Sir Jackie that Vettel should have a manager. Someone who can look after the affairs of the driver and let the driver concentrate on what they do best, driving. I believe a family member is a poor choice for this position as they can be too close and not objective enough.

Willie Webber would not be a good choice, in my opinion, as he has to many $$$$ in his eyes.

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
In this 'sport' I think a Manager and a PR team are essential.
I hope he stays a million miles from Webber. Webber 'lucked-in' with Michael Sumacher but did absolutely nothing for Ralph apart from take his huge cut!

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »
In this 'sport' I think a Manager and a PR team are essential.
I hope he stays a million miles from Webber. Webber 'lucked-in' with Michael Sumacher but did absolutely nothing for Ralph apart from take his huge cut!

Webber got Ralf $20,000,000 a year at Toyota.If only
Ralf could have earned his pay
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »
I think the Shumacher name got Ralph the Toyota drive not Willie Webber. There is also a lot of debate on how much he was paid.
Personally, I never thought Ralph was much good (he hadn't really shone in Karting or any other series). I therefore blamed him for poor performances at Toyota (particularly as it is a German team).
However, now I realise that at least part of the problem was simply that the car was (and is) a complete dog!

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Your probably right about the Shumacher name getting
Ralf the money but looking at past f1 the name isn't
always magiv.The Brabhams and Giles brother Jacques
for example
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
Your probably right about the Shumacher name getting
Ralf the money but looking at past f1 the name isn't
always magiv.The Brabhams and Giles brother Jacques
for example

The name gets you in the door, but results speak.  Ralf may never have earned an F1 seat on his own, but he certainly deserved to be there more than many other F1 drivers over the years.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »
There was a whole generation (or two) of drivers like Irvine who went to Japan and came back with big reputations despite barely winning a race.  Ralf went to Japan and won the Formula Nippon championship.  I think he was a decent F1 driver and had he not had that particular brother he would be viewed differently.   He was judged against a different standard than any of his team mates.

Offline Willy

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
Ralph was never outstanding and was there due to the Schumacher name. But he got very gun-shy after his two big shunts at Indy. Not the sane driver afterwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle