collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 566
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: This is bound to get some reaction.......  (Read 3919 times)

david1275

This is bound to get some reaction.......
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »
This is bound to get some reaction from you guys!!

Could we be getting back to these days??

Could the mighty Ferrari be on the return??

Will they even be here next year??

My answer to all the above is, 'I hope so'

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: This is bound to get some reaction.......
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:02:29 AM »
My goodness, doesn't Kimi know Max and Bernie consider that undignified and unbecoming of F1? :nono:

Lonny
Lonny

david1275

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »
Bring on the donuts!! F1 needs this instead of a budget cap.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
Banning F1 drivers from doing donuts is like banning Super Bike riders from doing wheelies - ridiculous!
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
It's like banning water from home from the Malaysia track...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
The trouble is even if they were allowed the teams wouldn't let the drivers do it becuase all the marbles they have picked up get scrubbed off.

F1 needs to lighten up and let drivers do donuts if they want and take their national flag on the slow down lap.

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
I like Kimi and do not really like Ferrari, but will grudgingly cheer for them if Kimi is doing well.
I prefer to see things spread out a tad with other teams being strong enough to vie for the podium.
Great to see Brawn, Red Bull and sometimes Renault up front where it has mostly been the domain of Ferrari and McLaren.

So I guess my answer would be, no, I do not long for the old days of one team domination.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
I'm a bit surprised Bernie doesn't recognize this as good for the "show". Because it is.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
I can't think of one logical and sane reason why doughnuts from the winner should be banned.

Perhaps it's just another case of Max wanting to show authority, and making daft laws in the process. It seems to be the story of his life.

I'm sure Bernie wouldn't mind them. At least they liven up an otherwise drab and dreary show.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
Here's another difference between the officiating in F1 vs Indycar.  When Helio won the Indy 500, you could hear race control calling over the radio telling him NOT to stop his car and to proceed to the pits.  Of course he stopped his car, hopped out and climbed the fence as he so often does.  Do you think he got a penalty or fine?  Of course not. 

The fans loved it, so they let it happen.  When will the FIA learn?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »
Not until Max and Bernie are gone. If ever!

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
I can't think of one logical and sane reason why doughnuts from the winner should be banned.

The rule covering donuts has existed since at least 1994 (Damon Hill was reprimanded for picking up a flag on the slow-down lap at Silverstone and Senna carried the Austrian flag in his car at Imola to get round the rule). It may even have been instituted before Max came into power. Nonetheless, I feel the reason for its existence (to avoid delays to the TV coverage) isn't good enough for the rule to remain in the books.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 01:55:06 PM »
This is a classic example of fiddling while Rome burns.  In the real world, the future of F1 is at stake as the FIA and FOTA indulge in a struggle to the death and here we are discussing whether doughnuts should be allowed.  Quite, frankly, I don't give a s**t.  F1 has its traditional methods of celebrating in the podium ceremony and subsequent spraying of champagne.  Doughnuts are for viewers who get impressed by tyre smoke.

Besides, a breakfast of doughnuts and champagne is a sure recipe for heartburn.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
Actually Cham, the discussion was more about how the FIA weilds absolute power and uses it whenever it possibly can instead of knowing when to keep quiet and let things happen. 

Besides the fact that the FIA's traditional ceremony of the podium (most often with two disgusted faces and one smiling) is a bit dull, the point is, if a driver does something to show his enthusiasm after the race, or dares to make a pass on an FIA favoured team or some other such atrocious move, they are fined or penalized heavily.  This is not the norm in motorsports, and I think it was more this that we are discussing.

It brings up another point though, and that is about the podium ceremony and the timing after the race.  Why is F1 TV time so fixed?  Watch a tennis match and it can go anywhere from 3-5hrs.  Overtime in tons of sports are televised.  Why is it when there is a problem or delay that F1 absolutely MUST finish within the 2hr limit?  Sponsors would be happy, they would get to have their precious stickers on TV for extended time.  Fans would be happy - having to wait two weeks for the next tiny 2hr race is a bit of a drag.  I'd be happy if they went 3hrs or more. 

Who has the disagreement?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »
F1 (or any other spectator sport) is, in the end, show business. Anything that increases the show for the paying public without debasing the sport will help the sport grow.

Besides, a breakfast of doughnuts and champagne is a sure recipe for heartburn. 

It does wonders for a hangover, though.  ;)

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle