collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 595
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams submits F1 entry for 2010  (Read 1552 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Williams submits F1 entry for 2010
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:14:14 PM »

I think teams like Williams have no option and must lodge their entry papers but one or two of the comments are interesting, the contract with FOM/FIA to 2010 and the offer of FOTA teams to sign the concorde agreement until 2012.

Williams has become the first of the current teams to enter next year's world championship, despite the continued uncertainty about the regulations.

Just 24 hours after Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) members claimed that the current grid was 'united' in its efforts to get the 2010 regulations changed, Williams has decided to lodge an application to compete in next year's championship.

Williams CEO Adam Parr told Reuters that his team's decision did not mean that the outfit was breaking away from FOTA, however.

"The unity of FOTA is of paramount importance to Williams," said Parr. "Yesterday we joined the other members of FOTA in writing to the FIA (International Automobile Federation) to request a continuing effort to find a compromise concerning the regulations for 2010."

Teams have written to FIA president Max Mosley saying that they will commit to racing until 2012, and sign a new Concorde Agreement, if the FIA scraps next year's regulations.

Speaking about the Concorde Agreement, Parr said: "We believe that under the leadership of (Ferrari president Luca) di Montezemolo and (Toyota motorsport president) John Howett, FOTA has extracted some very significant concessions from the FIA.

"These include not only the procedural aspects of the budget cap but also other elements that will enable the higher budget teams to participate.

"Having said that, Williams has -- and has always maintained -- that we have a binding contract with both FOM (Ecclestone's Formula One Management) and the FIA to participate in the world championship from 2008 to 2010."

He added: "We have been paid in full for our participation and we feel both morally and legally obliged to make it clear that we will participate in Formula One in the future as we have in the past 30 years.

"We owe this to our employees, our sponsors and the fans, all of whom are affected by statements that the teams may not enter next year's championship."

"We will continue to work within FOTA and with FOM and FIA to find a compromise but no one should be in any doubt about our commitment to the FIA F1 world championship."

Other members of FOTA are expected to meet this week to decide what to do about their entries to next year's championship, with the deadline closing this Friday.

By Jonathan Noble, Today autosport.com

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Williams submits F1 entry for 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:17:06 PM »
Contracts, entries, rules, deadlines, agreements, budgets, court cases...

This just isn't going to attract any serious business.  No wonder Toyota wants out.

Cheers to Williams for honouring a contract they signed, though I get the feeling they've signed so many contracts/agreements/entries that any course of action they take would mean sticking to what they signed.

I'm guessing that Bernie is just getting a laugh from all this.  Oddly, I find it amusing that one man can manipulate a multi-billion dollar industry for laughs.  I hope anyone involved in F1 at this point is aware that they're a puppet in his show.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »
I am really disappointed in Williams for breaking ranks with the other teams.  They are a team I have always had the highest regard for but they are wrong to give Max a chink in the armour of FOTA  that he can exploit.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
I am really disappointed in Williams for breaking ranks with the other teams.  They are a team I have always had the highest regard for but they are wrong to give Max a chink in the armour of FOTA  that he can exploit.

I'm sure it has to do with some backroom legal threats from Bernie.

If so, at this point I'm happy it was done in the backroom instead of the front pages.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »

Franks' never been one to jump on a bandwagon.  He goes his own way.  Like he said - we have no choice, we exist to race.  There is also that interesting statement that he has been paid in full until the end of 2010.  What is that all about, when some teams haven't even been paid in full for last year by Bernie?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »
Williams took a forward on prize money to stay in business, it makes it very hard to then go and leave F1 early.

david1275

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
I have just read that Williams have been suspended from the FOTA. Franks response "The FOTA decision, although regrettable, is understandable." Sounds like a supporter of the stance, but a man with no other choice?

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »
Williams is the only team on the grid in which
racing is their full time job.Red Bull and STR
are backed by a big soft drink corp,the others
car manufacturers,and lowly FI backed by a
billiomaire
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I have just read that Williams have been suspended from the FOTA. Franks response "The FOTA decision, although regrettable, is understandable." Sounds like a supporter of the stance, but a man with no other choice?

Sounds about right.

Thing is, if a new series is formed, and F1 shuts down, would FOTA actually keep Williams out?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »
Don't forget Brawn, Dare. They would be with Williams as the last true "privateers."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 09:29:51 PM »
Don't forget Brawn, Dare. They would be with Williams as the last true "privateers."

For this year Brawn's success came
thru Honda's money unlike FI
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle