collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 567
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: New entrants filling the field  (Read 3297 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
New entrants filling the field
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »

So with at least ten new teams and possibly more it is no wonder Max is being so cocky with his comments about the FOTA teams. But will it be the same with a whole new look on the grid, apart from Williams, I don't think so. What does anyone else think?  

Even if the nine rebel FOTA teams do not race in Formula One next year, there are already more than enough valid 2010 entries to potentially fill the grid.

It has emerged that yet more teams have lodged paperwork to abide the announced budget cap rules: Epsilon Euskadi and N. Technology, whose applications swell the potential entry list to ten teams and 20 cars.

Additionally, it is rumoured that junior motor racing outfits Carlin and Manor Motorsport might also have thrown their hats into the 2010 ring, as may have a so far unannounced Italian team.

Alongside current team Williams, already officially signed up with the FIA for 2010 are Prodrive, Lola, USF1, Superfund, March, Campos, Litespeed and Brabham.

Spanish prototype Le Mans sports car team Epsilon Euskadi's Joan Villadelprat confirmed to the Diario AS newspaper on Wednesday that he lodged the 2010 entry one week ago.

"I can say that we have our future assured for at least four years," he said, insisting that even if the budget cap figure increases, the team will remain ready to compete. 

Meanwhile, in a statement to the media, MSC Organisation Ltd said it submitted its entry paperwork on 23 May - the day after the one-week window for official applications opened.

While the FIA would despair at the departure of grandee teams like Ferrari, McLaren, and even current championship favourites Brawn, the bustle of the current 2010 entry list has emboldened Max Mosley's stance in the FOTA stand-off.

"I think we are looking quite good," the FIA President said when asked about the teams already entered for next season.

Turning his attention to the existing FOTA teams, he told Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell: "What I would say to them is that if they want to write the rules, they should organise their own championship."

The FIA will publish the 2010 entry list on June 12.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: New entrants filling the field
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
I wonder if that un named Italian team might be
Fisichella's GP2 team?

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »
If it is FMS (or any ther team that has yet to issue a press release confirming its entry), then by my calculations Max has a problem, albeit one I think he'll enjoy solving. He now has enough unconditional entries that he can pick and choose between them.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »

Yeah I read it the same way Ali, however if all the conditional entries are rejected then all the main engine supliers will be out and we shall get a one engine series.  :(

Even though this will be Cosworth, I for one will find little interest in a one make series there are enough of them around already.  :crazy:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »
I want to know how many of these whodat teams are seroiusly ready to put a car on the grid next spring. Most of them have never built a racecar. And can they seriouly expect to beat Williams years of experience? The grid may have the widest spread of lap times we have seen in years. I am not amused. :(

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:28:26 AM »
I want to know how many of these whodat teams are seroiusly ready to put a car on the grid next spring. Most of them have never built a racecar. And can they seriouly expect to beat Williams years of experience? The grid may have the widest spread of lap times we have seen in years. I am not amused. :(

Lonny

I don't think any of the new outfits were expecting to podium next year.  If they were, I'd reject their plan as unrealistic.

Of course, beating FIF1 for a podium might be possible as Williams has a perfect season

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »
I doubt all or even most of the teams will make it, because most of them don't have a F1-spec factory and getting one will take a huge bite out of their £23m budget for 2009 expenditure going into 2010.

The new teams that I think have a good chance of overcoming this hurdle are:

USF1 (their factory is in Charlotte and exists already)
Superfund (they've already planned to hire someone else's facility)
Prodrive (if their new factory, planned since 2007, is completed in time)
Lola (makes chassis for one-make series already, so upgrading will be relatively cheap)

Those four, I think, will make it. I seriously doubt the rest will. However, this is of little concern to Max; he's probably counting on the new teams selling their entries to the established ones after they understand the implications of what they've done.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
However, this is of little concern to Max; he's probably counting on the new teams selling their entries to the established ones after they understand the implications of what they've done.

Interesting.  Wish I'd thought of that... enter F1 and then sell my liscence to McLaren for $100 million?

david1275

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
This is quite a depressing thread!! What are we going to end up with after this all pans out? I honestly think we are at serious risk of losing what makes our sport special. People say to me why do you follow F1, it's boring, there's no overtaking, it's a precession. The answer:- The technical side of the sport, the differences between the cars, engines and chassis. It is all about the team working together to design and build the perfect racing machine no matter what the cost, and the continuing development of the machine over the season to keep with the race pace. Then its is on to the worlds best drivers to drive them to the limit on the greatest race circuits of the world, what more could you want?? If we lose this then it won't be the pinnacle of motor sport, it won't be F1. The idea of new teams is exciting and I as I'm sure you all are would welcome the additions, but the sport has to remain as is.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
It is all about the team working together to design and build the perfect racing machine no matter what the cost

Um.

So basically you like F1 because it's a bunch of rich guys and their toys?

If that's what F1 really is, no wonder no one showed up in Turkey.

I agree, watching 10 teams with unlimited budgets squeeze every thousandth of a second out of a lap is very exciting.  But that's not F1 now, and it won't be any time soon.  Not under the current rules.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 02:08:30 AM »
Yes, and we are rapidly losing the "World's best circuits" to Bernie's idea of what is needed to coddle the players with the bucks, and who can pay the outrageous fees. Soon it will be a nonstop parade of Tilkedromes. :yahoo:

Lonny
Lonny

david1275

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
It is all about the team working together to design and build the perfect racing machine no matter what the cost

Um.

I agree, watching 10 teams with unlimited budgets squeeze every thousandth of a second out of a lap is very exciting.  But that's not F1 now, and it won't be any time soon.  Not under the current rules.

No no "rich guys with their toys" is inaccurate interpretation of my comments, that is certainly not what F1 is or ever should be. We are talking about big companies with even bigger companies as sponsors. If the money is there to spend then it should be spent to make F1 the pinnacle of motor sport and motor sport technology. In my thinking a budget cap of 40 million to low and it should be more like 100 million + to maintain the exclusivity of the sport. I'm all for more teams but the teams F1 attracts have to be able to attract the sponsers and raise the money needed to compete at this level. Or else we end up with a second rate alternative to the sport we all love.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 01:43:12 AM »
I agree.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »

Um.

Not fair Jeri - plenty of people watch sport for different reasons and not just F1.  If everyone was just a purist, then sport wouldn't survive, as the fan base would be puny. 

Certainly there are people who watch just for that reason (Rich boys with expensive toys), some who watch just for the crashes (they have more fun watching NASCAR), plenty who love to watch the cars do their amazing things, and plenty who love to watch their nation's darling son or favourite characters racing.  Many more simply got attached to it decades ago, and are still passionate about it regardless of how it's changed.  Who is to say who is a better, more worthy fan?

I am absolutely not a fan of any form of budget capping, especially if it is imposed by the FIA - it is absolutely none of their business.  I don't mind at all hearing that teams are spending $400m a season.  If they can find someone to give them that money, then by all means, spend it!  My only stipulation is that a team with a $400m budget should have absolutely no more say or power within the sport than the team with a $40m budget.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 08:43:19 PM »

I am absolutely not a fan of any form of budget capping, especially if it is imposed by the FIA - it is absolutely none of their business.  I don't mind at all hearing that teams are spending $400m a season.  If they can find someone to give them that money, then by all means, spend it!  My only stipulation is that a team with a $400m budget should have absolutely no more say or power within the sport than the team with a $40m budget.

Hear! Hear! Scot couldn't have put it better myself.

Just one small point though, I would expect a teensy bit more engine power from the big budget team.  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle