collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 613
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel 'too green for title'  (Read 854 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Vettel 'too green for title'
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »

I suppose it is inevitable that Seb is going to be criticised, but is his WDC campaign over for this season? 

IMO it's not, there is still time but he can't afford any more slips.

Sebastian Vettel is not ready to mount a challenge for the world championship, according to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The sports daily believes the 21-year-old is ‘too green for the title’, as evidenced by his mistake at the start of Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix.

Despite starting from pole position, the Red Bull driver ran off the road on the first lap, opening the door to runaway championship leader Jenson Button.

"The question is no longer whether Button becomes world champion, but when. Vettel is still too green for the title,” La Gazzetta claimed.

Referring to the Istanbul error, the newspaper added: "The Red Bull talent ruined everything with his fourth mistake of the season."

Spain's Marca agreed: "With his driving error, Vettel presented victory to Button on a silver tray."

Ross Brawn was asked by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport about Vettel's mistakes, but also the apparent strategy error committed by Red Bull in Turkey.

"I don't want to criticise my opponents, so all I will say is that they are behind in the championship, so it is logical that they have to take more risks."

In contrast, Brawn's Button is making perfect use of the best car in the field, former triple world champion Niki Lauda believes.

"The package is brilliant. But even then there can still be mistakes but he does not make mistakes. He is fully in control of every situation," the Austrian added.

Lewis Hamilton is the youngest world champion in F1's history, and like Vettel has sometimes been accused of making too many mistakes.

Speaking to Bild newspaper, the Briton said of Vettel: "He is only 21 years old and has already won three races. The pressure on him must be enormous, also because the Germans are looking for a new Michael Schumacher."

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Vettel 'too green for title'
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »
If Vettel is too green to win the championship for RBR, what do they recon Webber's problem is?

I guess its true that the best is yet to come for Vettel, but even veterans make mistakes... I seem to recall even Michael Schumacher had some crashes after winning several championships.

Brawn is right:  he's got the class of the field, and there's little Vettel can do about it, no matter how much experience he has in the car.

However, lets assume that Vettel's driving record is a factor here:  Hamilton and Jacques Villeneuve both challenged for the championship in their very first season, but in both cases, there was much more testing permitted.  Are modern F1 rookies allowed enough time driving an F1 car to really learn to drive safely and effectively?  Will Barichello keep racing another 20 years because no one can hope to match his experience because of testing bans?  Will we have a demolition derby next year as a dozen rookies take to the field without more than a hundred laps of experience?

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:17:19 AM »

Speaking to Bild newspaper, the Briton said of Vettel: "He is only 21 years old and has already won three races. The pressure on him must be enormous, also because the Germans are looking for a new Michael Schumacher."

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing a race but I thought Vettel has only
2 wins both in the rain
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »
GMM and Bild are two of the worst possible sources for F1 news.  The other is Diario AS.  I tend to ignore anything reported by any of them.

The idea that Vettel's mistake is due to greenness is garbage.  Every time Lewis Hamilton makes a mistake someone will say it was over-confidence and if Vettel makes a mistake he is green

All garbage.  The guy was trying to build a lead against a better car before the race settled.  He was on a three stop strategy and had to push the whole way to make it work. It was a minor error but it cost him the chance of a win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle