collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 612
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Max insists: A solution is 'very close  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Dare

Max insists: A solution is 'very close
« on: June 21, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »
One part of me wants a compromise and the other wants to see if
the breakaway would improve F1

Sunday 21st June 2009   Planet F1

FIA President Max Mosley insists he is "very close" to an agreement with the Formula One Teams' Association which could stave off the threat of legal action being launched on Monday.

The prospect of a breakaway series being set up by the eight teams representing FOTA has accelerated the need for a deal to be agreed, otherwise the sport will be hauled through the courts.

After issuing legal proceedings against Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso on Friday, the FIA were due to formally serve their writ on Monday.

But after arriving at Silverstone ahead of Sunday's British Grand Prix with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Renault team principal Flavio Briatore via helicopter, Mosley spent most of the morning locked in talks with various team personnel.

"We are talking to people all the time. It will all be back to normal, it's just a question of when," said Mosley.

"We are very close. What divides us and the teams is minimal and really is something we could sit down and iron out very quickly.

"We have said to them we are ready to do this. Now it may take them a little time to get to the position where they want to, but when they do, we are ready."

Asked if there was the potential for the writ not being issued, the 69-year-old added: "I think we would rather talk than litigate."

The fact Mosley and Briatore flew in by air was a surprise in light of Mosley's demeaning recent reference to the Italian, and others within FOTA, as "loonies."

Unbecoming of his status as president, Mosley let his guard slip on Friday when he said: "You spend the whole day agreeing something with Red Bull, Brawn, Ferrari and Toyota.

"When they go back to the others, who are what we call the loonies, they tear it up."

Asked to explain himself, Mosley did not retract his comment.

"The way that came about is we divide the teams into two camps - the moderates who want to talk and a settlement, and what we call the loonies, who appear not to want a settlement," said Mosley.

"But it's more of a jokey reference than anything else. I don't think they are literally loonies, but I think they're a little bit immoderate in their approach."

Another figure Mosley would perhaps view as "immoderate" is Ferrari president and FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo who has vehemently campaigned against the introduction of a budget cap.

Although claiming to be close to di Montezemolo, Mosley insists he has to draw a line between business and personal relationships.

"Montezemolo and I have known each other nearly 40 years and I get along with him fine on a personal level," insisted Mosley.

"Flavio is also great on a personal level, but obviously sometimes when you have something as complex as Formula One you can have disagreements about how things operate within the sport.

"But on a personal basis we've always got along fine. In fact, I came in this morning in Flavio's helicopter!"

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Max insists: A solution is 'very close
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »
"We are very close. What divides us and the teams is minimal and really is something we could sit down and iron out very quickly.

If the gap is so blooming minimal how come it's got to the impasse they are all in? I think Max must be suffering premature senile dementure if he really believes they are close to agreement.

I suspect Max is still in cloud cuckoo land and thinks they will all just roll over and beg to be taken back.

In other interviews Max has said that the breakaway teams will all come to their senses round about March next Year when they realise how hard it is to run a series. But then again maybe it will be easier to put a series together without meddling Max making life so bloody difficult for everyone.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »
If there is a breakaway series I'm sure by March all
the cogs will be in place and a return to Max's f1
would be out of the question.

Maybe the death of his son has further clouded his
judgment or he flat doesn't care any longer
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:23:20 AM »

and you believe this devious master of spin and double talk?

F1 may be a lot of noble things but when it comes down to the wire its all about the money and Max is standing in the way of it now

standing tall on a gang plank does not work

the guy is an irrelevance and unless he backs off he will be dumped

always remember:

"who benefits" rules
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »
My take on it is that some of those comments were made before his 30min meeting with Bernie, and some were made AFTER.  Bernie handed him a shovel and told him he can either dig himself deeper, or he can dig himself OUT.  And if he chose to dig himself deeper, he would be digging alone.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:43:02 AM by ScottyD »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
Unbecoming of his status as president, Mosley let his guard slip on Friday when he said: "You spend the whole day agreeing something with Red Bull, Brawn, Ferrari and Toyota.

"When they go back to the others, who are what we call the loonies, they tear it up."

"Let slip" my eye! The old divide and conquer at work again. I've read that Martin Whitmarsh is saying that the point of no return is the end of July.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »
Max tells porkies*.  Bernie is finally getting through to him and he is running scared, having realised that the first item on FOTA's agenda is the removal of Max himself.  The whole mess is easily sorted - the FIA should remove Max, put Nick Craw in his place and a compromise would be in place immediately.

* For the benefit of the Americans amongst us, I should mention that "porkies" means "lies".  It is abbreviated Cockney rhyming slang - lies, pork pies, porkie pies, porkies.  The Brits love playing with their language.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
* For the benefit of the Americans amongst us, I should mention that "porkies" means "lies".  It is abbreviated Cockney rhyming slang - lies, pork pies, porkie pies, porkies.  The Brits love playing with their language.

The Americans have been playing with the English language for over 200 years  :DD

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
Luca di Montezemolo will take FOTA's case to the WMSC & Senate tomorrow (24 June). I think he's meeting with Benie & Max today. I think Bernie sees how much this could hurt his bottom line, and Max will "retire."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »
* For the benefit of the Americans amongst us, I should mention that "porkies" means "lies".  It is abbreviated Cockney rhyming slang - lies, pork pies, porkie pies, porkies.  The Brits love playing with their language.

The Americans have been playing with the English language for over 200 years  :DD

True, but they wear masses of protective gear when doing so...  ;)
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle