collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 546
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Do you remember the old Kimi??  (Read 4469 times)

david1275

Do you remember the old Kimi??
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »
Do you remember the days when Kimi could switch it on??

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
Re: Do you remember the old Kimi??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »

I do David and I am sad to see all that hungry and brilliant fire-in-the-belly is just not there anymore

felipe is kicking KR's butt - for over a year now

so sad

perhaps too many late night parties and he has been described as "....having the work ethic of a 1970's hippy!"

what goes 'round comes around I guess
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »
In his defense, at McLaren he was #1 and got what he wanted in terms of  set-up and development. I think at Ferrari he feels they have taken the cars more to Massa's taste than his. He doesn't broadcast it like Rubens but I think he's feeling slighted by the team.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:17:50 AM »
In his defense, at McLaren he was #1 and got what he wanted in terms of  set-up and development. I think at Ferrari he feels they have taken the cars more to Massa's taste than his. He doesn't broadcast it like Rubens but I think he's feeling slighted by the team.

Lonny

I think having Michael Schumacher around sort of turned Kimi off at first.  He wasn't ready to be in Schumi's shadow, and that just threw off the chemistry.  Massa, on the other hand was happy to worth with Schumacher, and so of course the car would suit him better.

I guess it's a shame that Kimi's talent was wasted on bad chemistry.

At least Alonso knew enough to realise his chemistry was better with Renault than McLaren.  Is he going to make the mistake again?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »
Alonso wants to be WDC again. Renault has produced two very uncompetitive cars in a row. You can't wait till late in the season for it to come right, you have to be ready to compete out of the box. He will go where he thinks he can get the best car to win races with.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
Alonso wants to be WDC again. Renault has produced two very uncompetitive cars in a row. You can't wait till late in the season for it to come right, you have to be ready to compete out of the box. He will go where he thinks he can get the best car to win races with.

Lonny

He had a championship car with McLaren.  It wasn't the car, or his skill that let him down, it was team chemistry.

If Alonso jumps to Ferrari, I forsee the same problems Kimi had of joining Schumacher's team, rather than Ferrari becoming Alonso's team.

Of course, Ferrari might do some housecleaning after this season, and who knows what kind of chemistry will be present if/when Alonso shows up.

david1275

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:51:06 PM »
I think the Schumi days are coming to a close. I have even read reports / rumors that he his talking to his old friend Ross Brawn. This would leave the way open for Alonso to come in and make himself at home. I never liked the guy (probably because of his success in beating Ferrari over the years), but if he can do good for the Scuderia and make them championship contenders again, then that's good enough for me.

I agree too that Michael's presence in the team did not help with Kimi making himself at home, and the fact that Massa was more open to this help him to his recent and welcome success.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »

I agree too that Michael's presence in the team did not help with Kimi making himself at home, and the fact that Massa was more open to this help him to his recent and welcome success.

IMO it's Kimi's manager and Kimi's own high wage demands and laid back attitude that led to his not getting number 1 status. If he and his manager had focused a bit more on what support he would receive from the team in his contract, rather than the maximum wage and if Kimi had engaged more with all the boys at Marranello, we may well have seen the team treating him as the leader rather than a just an expensive playboy driver.

Remember the Enzo philosphy of the engine first, the car, and then the team, with the driver being the least  important element. This I would suggest is so ingrained deep in the Ferrari psyche that a driver who appears to lack passion, involvment and commitment is always in danger of losing the full support of the team.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:08:35 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:42 AM »
Well said John. Wish I had said that. :good:

Lonny
Lonny

david1275

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
I'm with Lonny there too John. Wish I had thought to say something that makes that much sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle