collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 564
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is desastor bound for spa?  (Read 5035 times)

Offline PG_Gabriel

Is desastor bound for spa?
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:44:44 AM »
Ok so i was thinking about the McLarens mp24 and how the rear is so incredibly unstable, then i thought about spa and Eau Rouge were the car is almost lifting off of the ground already... iam worrying that when you combine that corner and that car at 180 mph that the car would easily lose control with one little mistake and hit the barrier at 180 mph... possible with that kind of impact survivor injury or death! tell me what you think because i cant stand thinking its gonna happen

Offline Andy B

Re: Is desastor bound for spa?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:26 AM »
I would expect the Macca to be in a far more stable condition by Germany let alone Spa!!
A disaster? No I dont think so.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »
I'm not sure that Lewis and Kovi will be able to take Eau Rouge flat, but I'm sure they can adjust to the situation.

Welcome to GP Wizard, PG. Good to have you here.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
There are 3 races before Spa and McLaren will have the rear end worked out by then.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »
There are 3 races before Spa and McLaren will have the rear end worked out by then.

There is no mechanism for working it out though, is there?  They can design and windtunnel as much as they want, but it's not the same as a driver in the car turning a few hot laps.<br><br>The testing ban may have saved some $$$, but it's not making a better season.

Offline mrkjf

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
Ok so i was thinking about the McLarens mp24 and how the rear is so incredibly unstable, then i thought about spa and Eau Rouge were the car is almost lifting off of the ground already... iam worrying that when you combine that corner and that car at 180 mph that the car would easily lose control with one little mistake and hit the barrier at 180 mph... possible with that kind of impact survivor injury or death! tell me what you think because i cant stand thinking its gonna happen
Safetly First, but that is what F1 is all about ,excitment danger, thats what the drivers want,us fans probably want more but at the end of the day we dont want a radio controlled car.
Mrkjf

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
Nor do we want a driver laying there on life support, you can have exciting races without drivers getting killed.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:05:14 AM »
I think Jeri is right. We keep expecting McLaren to get it right, and the car actually seems to be getting worse. Without more testing than you can do at the races, they cannot develop the car as quickly. I also still have doubts about Hammy and Kovi as test drivers. I bet a few days at Silverstone with de la Rosa would be far more help.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
A few seasons ago, Honda blamed its poor performance on a software glitch with their wind tunnel data. More real world testing would have pointed this out. I wonder if McLaren might be in a similar situation with the Computational Fluid Dynamics software on their super computer.

I agree, Lonny, Macca could use a good test driver. Lewis and Kovi are good race drivers, but I don't think they give their boffins the kind of feedback they need to improve the car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »
I agree with Jeri.
From my minor racing experience the car looks too stiff. It actually lifts a wheel in every tight corner. If the tyres are not firmly planted on the track there will be limited mechanical grip and no amount of wind tunnel testing will fix this! However, with the engineers they have at their disposal it may be possible for them to significantly improve the car (unless the problem is due to the chassis not the suspension).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
It actually lifts a wheel in every tight corner.

That's part of the whole budget cap / road car tie-in thing. They've borrowed the suspension design from an MG TC Midget.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »
de Matta says a Toyota engineer once told him mechanical grip wasn't important, the only thing that mattered was the Aero. Might explain why they were so awful at Monaco.

Lonny
Lonny

Online Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:01:57 PM »
I think McLaren may need a B-spec car at this rate - but it's left it rather late to develop one.

The only positive thing is that Spa isn't as windswept as Silverstone, so it's unlikely that the McLaren will leave the ground (unless it is in the relatively time-honoured method of vaulting off another car).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
I think McLaren may need a B-spec car at this rate - but it's left it rather late to develop one.

They just don't seem to be making any headway with this car, unfortunately.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:39 PM »
I don't think McLaren have the slightest idea what the problem is.  It seems like the rear end just loses downforce and steps out completely unpredictably.y  Earlier in the season the Ferrari was doing the same thing but it seems to be a bit better now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle