collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 253
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16169 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13008 Posts
John S John S
11288 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda stymied by lack of rules clarification  (Read 2772 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Honda stymied by lack of rules clarification
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »

So F1 is not the only series with problems about the rules for future seasons, according to F1Racing.net. Is this connected with the departure of Tony George or does an outside body decide the rules 'a la Formula One'?  :DntKnw:

I like Honda's proposed solution, sounds more Bernie than Bernie himself. 8)

Honda has expressed its desires to receive full definitions of rules by insisting that organisers of the championship fully define changed technical regulations ahead of the 2012 season. With modifications previously due for 2011, delays in talks have forced the date to be moved back by a year.

With the Japanese manufacturer wanting to have introduced a V6 unit by 2011, delays in talks have forced the company to now push for changes in 2012.

"If we get into the first quarter of next year and it continues to draw out, we won't be able to do it for 2012," Erik Berkman, of Honda Performance Development, told Autosport.

"We need to know by Christmas so we can put it in place and budget for it; there's been some communication but our last roundtable was some time ago - I would say it's time for us to have another one.

"There's nothing that says we can't broker a deal if we all get together in one room, turn up the heat, and agree not to leave until we have a deal."

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:55:37 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Honda stymied by lack of rules clarification
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
With a single supplier, you'd think engine negotiations would be much simpler.  I guess IRL must have an alternate lined up.

Of course, IRL's management is going through a shakeup, how much progress can be expected at the moment?

Finally, V6s?  Seriously?  I understand improvements in fuel efficiency, and everyone wants cost cutting, but I just like the idea of giant engines in race cars   :'(

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »
One of the fastest production cars ever produced in the US was the Buick Grand National which had a supercharged V6 that could rarely be beaten, even by the biggest V8's on the block.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »
Audi, Fiat, Porsche, and Volkswagen are in negotiations to supply IRL engines. From everything I've seen, 2012 has been the target date from the start. Currently under consideration are V8's, V6 turbos and inline 4 turbos.

The league is also looking at the possibility of more than one chassis supplier.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:22:09 PM »
Audi, Fiat, Porsche, and Volkswagen are in negotiations to supply IRL engines. From everything I've seen, 2012 has been the target date from the start. Currently under consideration are V8's, V6 turbos and inline 4 turbos.

The league is also looking at the possibility of more than one chassis supplier.

I'd like to see IRL with more variety.  I might even start to watch them again ;-)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:59:37 AM »
Honda reportedly gave the IRL an ultimatim, saying they did not want to be the sole provider of engines. They don't think it's much of a deal to be beating themselves every race. The IRL has been trying to get another manufacturer to sign up, but the manufacturers are divided on whether to do turbo 4s or V6s. I gather no one wants to continue V8s. The problem is to get someone to commit to supplying several teams and to get the teams to agree to leave Honda. The IRL is hesitating on the rules until they get 2 or 3 companies to agree on the specs and commit to the series. Sort of a Catch 22.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
Does the IRL still require production model engines?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
Does the IRL still require production model engines?

No, they don't. That rule has been gone for some time.

I gather no one wants to continue V8s.

Almost all of the fans do. So did Tony.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:16:54 AM »

I gather no one wants to continue V8s.

Almost all of the fans do. So did Tony.

The eternal struggle:  do you listen to the existing fans, or change things up, to gain new fans (and keep suppliers happy).

I do miss IndyCar from the 80s.  Tough to say what made it work for me... hope they get it back, or find something new.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
They need an engine/chassis combination that won't let them run flat out at so many tracks.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
Simple - lose most of the ovals  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle