collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 568
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Cosworth has to play catch up  (Read 2128 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Cosworth has to play catch up
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:24:12 PM »

Unless they can seriously up the ante Cosworth could be proping up the back of the grid next year, perhaps they should have thought twice before trusting Max.

Cosworth is reportedly working hard to re-tune its 2010 Formula One engine in order to compete with F1's other manufacturers.

The British-based engine maker was recently at the centre of the political crisis, with the FIA wanting next year's Cosworths to be exempt from the mandatory 18,000 rev limit.

The FIA President's argument was that because the 2010 Cosworth will be based on the engine used by Williams in 2006, the new teams Campos, USF1 and Manor would otherwise be massively off the pace.

Patrick Head said that even when running 20,000rpm next year, the Cosworths would be disadvantaged in the area of weight and tyre wear because they use "clearly more fuel than the current engines."

Ultimately, however, FOTA won the argument and Cosworth must adhere to the same engine regulations next year.

Only one month ago, Mosley said the British firm had "neither the time nor the resources to retune for 2010."

Spain's Diario AS reports that Campos is finding the 18,000rpm-limited Cosworth a ‘disaster’. "The British firm is working on an evolution to fit the current regulations," the newspaper added.

© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Cosworth has to play catch up
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
Decisive leadership.  Who needs it?    :DntKnw:

I'd still like to know how the other engines got so far ahead during a 'development freeze'.

Could Cosworth legally subcontract out to the other suppliers for say, 2 races to give them a few extra months to catch up?

I know that the designers would hate to design a car that has to accept 2 different powerplants, but it sure beats running in another class.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
Decisive leadership.  Who needs it?    :DntKnw:

I'd still like to know how the other engines got so far ahead during a 'development freeze'.

To be fair I think the other engines were quite a bit in front before the engine freeze, it's probably one of the reasons Cosworth left F1 in 2006.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
Cosworth's #1 engine designer, Bernard Ferguson, left Cosworth shortly after they were squeezed out of F1. The last I heard, he had started Motorsport Consultancy Service, which I think was a one man outfit. If Cosworth can get him back......... :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle