collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 577
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villeneuve still intent on F1 drive  (Read 953 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Villeneuve still intent on F1 drive
« on: August 14, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »

Jaques may be intent on getting back into F1 but it's difficult to see how he is going to acheive that. The top teams don't appear to need or want him and without a serious sponsor with bags of money behind him it's hard to see why one of the new teams will even awnser the phone. Anyone have any idea how he expects to make progress on this?

While he has been continuing his quest to secure a Formula One cockpit next season, Jacques Villeneuve went through changes in his personal life recently.

"I've been divorced for a month," the Journal de Montreal reported the 38-year-old as confirming. "It's not war otherwise people would have known about it earlier."

Villeneuve had married Parisian Johanna Martinez in 2006; the couple had two sons, Jules and Joakim. His now former wife had previously opened a boutique in Montreal and has no plans to leave the city she openly embraced.

"It will be easier with the children," Villeneuve shared. "You don't always know what awaits in life; sometimes events force you to turn the page. All is well."

Although the 1997 World Champion had once turned the page on Formula One, the French Canadian is still eager to reopen that book thanks to the new regulations which suit his style. Villeneuve has been frequently seen in the paddock this year, stating his case with different teams for a comeback.

"I have two priorities," he told the Montreal daily. "My kids, who love cars like their father does, and finding a Formula One drive for next season. I'm putting in all my energy."

In an era where potential new drivers have little chance of testing in Formula One, Villeneuve is counting on his experience to open doors with one of the existing teams, or with the outfits readying for their debut next year.

In regards to experience, the fact that the Formula One world was so eagerly ready to warmly welcome back Michael Schumacher after a three-year absence might actually work in Villeneuve's favour, a somewhat precedent having been set.

Villeneuve has been participating in several racing events within different series, all to keep his racing instincts on edge - such as this weekend's well-known Trois-Rivieres Grand Prix which takes place in his native Province of Quebec. However, a firm F1 contract remains elusive for the moment.

"It's harder than I expected," he admitted. "But I'm confident in having a drive for the return of the (Canadian) Grand Prix, which I strongly hope for next June."

Daniel BASTIEN
© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Villeneuve still intent on F1 drive
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »
Not a clue...he must be smoking something.  The poor (rich) boy is delusional.   

He could always sponsor himself, you know, promote his music CD's on the side of the Campos cars or something.   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 09:33:09 PM »
Schumacher's return to F1 has no comparrison to JV
trying to return.If I recall he didn't retire he was
released from his contract.His only hope is to become
a pay sing driver
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »
He wasn't even able to get a ride as a road course "ringer" for the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen! The only way I can see him getting back into an F1 car is if a Canadian team starts and wants a singing Canadian driver.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »

Jaques may be intent on getting back into F1 but it's difficult to see how he is going to acheive that. The top teams don't appear to need or want him and without a serious sponsor with bags of money behind him it's hard to see why one of the new teams will even awnser the phone. Anyone have any idea how he expects to make progress on this?

Obviously the top teams wouldn't be interested:  the current trend is young/cheap drivers.

I don't know that the new teams should categorically ignore him.  Starting a new team with two inexperienced drivers doesn't seem like a great idea.  If you can choose between a former champ and a guy who never won in three seasons... I won't say it's a no brainer, but it's at least worth considering.

I'm not sure I'd trust the seriousness of a new team that rejects Villeneuve out of hand.

I'm not exactly holding my breath on JV showing up in 2010.  Maybe if he would deign to enter a 'shootout' this time.  (I'd like to see the new teams try the shootout for their new drivers.)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:04 AM »

what an intriguing possibility - I hope he makes it.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle