collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 584
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Luca Calling for 3 cars teams  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Willy

Luca Calling for 3 cars teams
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:00:27 PM »
I found this on Pitpass.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=38641

Luca is even willing to give Schumi another crack at a race seat. This, and he was the one to quickly push him out in 05.

Luca appears to be a fool. But that's just one mans opinion.

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Luca Calling for 3 cars teams
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:36:31 AM »
Doubt if all the teams will agree to let this happen. In the distant past Ferrari entered as many as 4 cars in a GP as I recall.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:25:34 AM »
I'd rather see more teams with 2 cars than less with
3 drivers.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »

I think 3 car teams could close the field up even more and make the racing better, it would be the teams at the front that could afford to run 3 cars so there would be more competition at the sharp end.

Traditionally the larger the field, in number of teams, the greater the distance between the front and tail end of the field. The new regs this year definitely closed the field up, we have not seen very much lapping of cars this year, but this can all change when the new boys join next year.

I see nothing wrong and much to gain from allowing a third car, obviously only 2 cars will score points in the constructers and maybe the last placed car in a 3 car team should also lose the drivers points. This should mean that they will fight amongst themselves, as well as leaving room for the lower teams to score points.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »
Look at Andretti Green Racing in the IRL.  I think they're going to field five cars next season.  That's a bit over the top, but I agree, there is nothing wrong with three car F1 teams (except cost of course - watchout for Max!).  I think the point structure would have to be worked out well though.  Just allowing the top two cars from a three car team to score would make it a bit of an odds dice roll, meaning that the three car teams would inevitably be on top most of the season.  I don't have the answer, but I think it would need to be a bit more complicated than you are suggesting John, just to make it fair against the two car teams.

Speaking of lapping cars, I'd like to see the blue flag done away with.  Perhaps mandate that  the lapped car stays on the proper racing line, and make the lapping cars show a bit of racecraft to get by.  I know some will moan about it being impossible, especially on the Tilke McTracks, but I think if the lapping car is that much faster, it shouldn't take more than a lap to get by if they are a bit ingenious.  Just my opinion.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
Why not allow a team to field one car like in
the good old days.It would allow a team with
a low budget to enter F1
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
I've always disagreed with the blue flag Scotty, if your good enough you'll get past.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »

I think the point structure would have to be worked out well though.  Just allowing the top two cars from a three car team to score would make it a bit of an odds dice roll, meaning that the three car teams would inevitably be on top most of the season.  I don't have the answer, but I think it would need to be a bit more complicated than you are suggesting John, just to make it fair against the two car teams.

I think the awnser may be that the teams have to nominate the two cars that can take points in the constructors section after the grid is set, all the 3 drivers can all score points depending on their finishing place to keep all of them trying. It is the consructors points that govern the TV money for the following year so it still allows the other teams access to the points.

This could spice up the drivers crown as well as one driver should not get such an advantage from being in the best car. They may have to extend the points places for drivers though, lets say the first 10 score points.

I have always disliked the crazy 2 blue flags rule when a car is about to be lapped, if you have got enough speed to be a lap ahead you should be able to get past. Especially as there is a rule that says the car in front can only move across, when defending, once a lap.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »
how could you add extra cars to teams when there's a
limit to how many cars can start a race and that seems
to be filled

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
Why not allow a team to field one car like in
the good old days.It would allow a team with
a low budget to enter F1

Absolutley.  I'd love to see 15-20 teams fielding one car.  Now that would be a championship.  

And with two car teams, they should be able to paint different liveries if they like.  It's a lot easier to find a sponsor for one car as it is two (are you listening Max???).

I think some teams would take advantage of being able to field three cars with only two collecting points by essentially using the third for a tester.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:28:32 PM by ScottyD »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle