collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 289
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12997 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Badoer cofirmed for Spa  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Scott

Badoer cofirmed for Spa
« on: August 23, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »
Kinda reminds me of a 3 stooges movie where curly gets hit again and again in the head.  Why would they even bother to make the statement?  It makes them look stupid(er - ok, more stupid).  Plus when they come to their senses in the morning, they will have to explain not only why did they choose him in the first place, but why after the most disastrous race by a Ferrari in history (just a guess), would they choose him again!!.  They've got Gene on staff for crying out loud - he certainly couldn't do any worse.

From F1 Live:

Ferrari on Sunday confirmed that Luca Badoer will contest his second Grand Prix for the Italian team this coming weekend in Belgium.

The team's 38-year-old test driver struggled notably at the wheel of injured Felipe Massa's car at Valencia, qualifying last and then finishing 17th while his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen took the other F60 to the podium.

Moreover, Badoer made mistakes throughout his first F1 weekend since 1999, featuring four pitlane speeding fines on Friday, being overtaken in the pitlane during the race, and incurring a drive-through penalty for crossing the pit-exit white line.

Even so, team boss Stefano Domenicali on Sunday said Badoer retains the drive for the second leg of the double-header at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend.

"Luca managed to finish the race, thus completing this learning weekend, which served as an introduction course prior to tackling the Belgian weekend in the best way possible, next weekend," he said in a team statement.

Badoer commented: "I am looking forward to Spa with confidence: it's a track I know and I will also be able to count on the experience gained this weekend."

Ferrari's chief engineer Chris Dyer said Sunday was another difficult day for Badoer, but noted the improvement he has made throughout the weekend. "It should be stressed how much he improved, continuously day by day, lap after lap," said the Australian. "We are confident that he will find himself in much better shape next weekend in Belgium.”

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

Re: Badoer cofirmed for Spa
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
1  He has something on Luca

2  They don't have any extra coveralls for a new driver

3  Badoer took the car's steering wheel and won't return it

4  Someone has a big life insurance policy on Badoer

4  There's a bunch of morons at Ferrari
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »
I agree with all those points Dare.  Perhaps they wanted someone who might not upstage their existing drivers, so they picked a guy who is now just slow?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
Maybe Stefano Domenicali woke up with a horse's head in bed beside him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:05:48 PM »

Like everyone else I find Ferrari's decision strange, the only plausible explanation I can come up with is a weird game of politics.

Max is the one who put in place the no testing rule and Di Montezemola wants it changed so he is using an embarrissing tactic to try to highlight the stupidity of not allowing preperation for reserve drivers.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

Badoer's embarrassment continued even after the chequered flag had fallen according to Jonathan Noble at Autosport

http://twitter.com/NobleF1/statuses/3496614226

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »
Personally i think that Ferrari is just not going to give it there all and just use the rest of the season.... or just the next race to thank Badoer for the many years of testing that he gave the team

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:54:20 AM »
Maybe Gene is scared of looking worse?

Badoer will never drive an F1 car byond the Ferrari this season.  Does Gene want the same fate?

I know Ferrari doesn't like to use untested drivers, I guess the list of available F1 drivers isn't doing it for them. 

If Badoer IS staying on as a test driver, might as well get some extra test miles in.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »
Davidson has now said he's ready to drive if Ferrari want him.  He's got recent experience, a super-license and certainly he couldn't do any worse.  I know there is someone who doesn't agree with me here (Steven, for one), but I think Davidson would be Ferrari's best choice.  I thought he still had a reserve driver contract with Brawn, but I'm sure he could wiggle out of that if he had to.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »
Davidson has now said he's ready to drive if Ferrari want him.  He's got recent experience, a super-license and certainly he couldn't do any worse.  I know there is someone who doesn't agree with me here (Steven, for one), but I think Davidson would be Ferrari's best choice.  I thought he still had a reserve driver contract with Brawn, but I'm sure he could wiggle out of that if he had to.

Ross may be glad to lend him, if he does really good it will solve the problem of who to put in the no 2 Brawn for next year in place of Ruby the selfish showoff.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »

I'm sure most 'reserve/test' drivers have a clause that lets them move on to a full time seat?  Mika Salo drove for BAR and Ferrari in one season.

FW14B

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »
They could do a lot worse than bring in Davidson, it would also finally put to bed the question marks that linger over his ability as a top level driver.  I would love to see him race full time in F1.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
They could do a lot worse than bring in Davidson, it would also finally put to bed the question marks that linger over his ability as a top level driver.  I would love to see him race full time in F1.

Mind you Ant has not raced in earnest in an F1 car for a couple of years so it may not be plain sailing, but could it be worse than Luca?  I think not.

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »
Give Fisichella a shot,he's Italian,once tested for Ferrari,he's nearing
the end of his career,and I believe he stills haves a few good races left in him
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »
Now Hulkenberg and Bourdais have joined the 'I can't do any worse than Badoer' chorus. 

Here's how I rate their chances at the moment:

1 - Gene - He's on staff, vaguely familiar with the car, doesn't cost a penny extra, has a superlicense, familiar with team.  Jumped in a seat for Williams a few years ago and did fairly well considering the late call (I think he had something like two days notice, but that was back in the testing days).

2 - Bourdais - Most recent racing experience, and in cars with the current tech regulations. Has a superlicense.  Managed by Todt Jr (which may or may not be of value depending on what the Ferrari bosses think of Papa), who is also Massa's manager (again, if that makes a difference).  Knows the rest of the tracks (except for Abu Dabhi, which nobody knows).

3 - Davidson - Fastest of all most likely, has current superlicense.  Not so familiar with current cars or tracks.

4 - Hulkenberg - Sure, fast in GP2, but unknown quantity in F1's current cars.  Managed by Wili Weber (Ferrari tie, but hard to say how much value that has since I wouldn't let Weber onto my front veranda, much less my house...not sure if some at Ferrari might agree with me), meaning he will cost money, and probably not just a little bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle