collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 280
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA investigate 08 Singapore Race  (Read 2068 times)

FW14B

FIA investigate 08 Singapore Race
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
Typical, we have a great race, so the FIA needs to remind us how they like to control the sport and not let it get too enjoyable.

From autosport:

The FIA is to launch an investigation into the events at last year's Singapore Grand Prix, where Renault's Fernando Alonso claimed victory on the back of a crash by his team-mate Nelson Piquet.

Alonso's success was sealed by the timing of a safety car in the early stages of the inaugural event - which had been called out when Piquet crashed into the wall shortly after his team-mate stopped for fuel.

The timing of Piquet's crash prompted wild conspiracy theories that the Brazilian had been ordered to deliberately spin to help Renault take its maiden victory. Piquet himself insisted at the time that the accident had been caused by him simply trying too hard.

"It was my mistake," said Piquet.. "We tried two extreme strategies with Fernando quite short and me quite long in the hope of getting a safety car. If I hadn't crashed I would have been lucky with the safety car later in the race because I was very happy.

"We're always scraping the walls, and once you've touched the wall a little too much and lose control that's it."

It is understood, however, that fresh evidence about the events that took place in the race have now come to light – which has prompted the FIA to step in.

Piquet was dropped by Renault after this year's Hungarian Grand Prix, and has been outspoken in his criticisms of the outfit – and in particular team principal Flavio Briatore. It is not clear if the Brazilian himself has been a catalyst for the investigation, or if the evidence has come from elsewhere.

The FIA has not elaborated on the details of its inquiry, but a spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that an investigation was under way.

"The FIA can confirm that an investigation is underway regarding alleged events at a previous world championship race," said the spokesperson.

Should the FIA investigation suggest there is any evidence of foul play involved, then the governing body could call a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council to discuss the matter.

Offline Scott

Re: FIA investigate 08 Singapore Race
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »
I smell a $100m fine.   >:D >:D

Really, who cares?   :fool: :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
If Piquet is the whistle blower he's as guilty as
Renault is.How about fining him too.Looks like
he's burning a lot of F1 bridges to me.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »
If Piquet is the reason for this, he is a complete moron.  Nothing to gain, so much to lose.

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »
Well, I wonder if he saw that even the new teams were not interested in taking a punt on him, so decided to have one last dig at Renault before his F1 career really died and he was forgotten about?

david1275

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »
Oh it looks like we are going to get a juicy subject to discuss. Can't wait to hear more.

If Piquet has been talkin' then his driving isn't the only thing that's s**t.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »
I wonder what effect this will have on Renault. Could this give Renault a reason to leave, even though they have signed the New Concord Agreement? Could this just be Max's parting shot at Flavio?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »
I wonder what effect this will have on Renault. Could this give Renault a reason to leave, even though they have signed the New Concord Agreement? Could this just be Max's parting shot at Flavio?

If it does force Renault out, it would probably help Toyota off the fence too.

I'd rather the deep pocketed car makers stayed in the sport, but i can't say I'm sad at the prospect of Formula One being dominated by Formula One teams, rather than car companies.

If you're right about Max's parting shot, maybe his legacy can actually be bringing F1 back to its roots.  That wouldn't be bad.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
I'd actually like to see the carmakers out of the sport too (although Ferrari would remain obviously, since their road car company exists simply to fund their race team), but I really hope more than a couple of them stick around as engine suppliers.  For that to happen though, I think the FIA would have to free up the engine regulations a bit to allow them to show off.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
I'd actually like to see the carmakers out of the sport too (although Ferrari would remain obviously, since their road car company exists simply to fund their race team), but I really hope more than a couple of them stick around as engine suppliers.  For that to happen though, I think the FIA would have to free up the engine regulations a bit to allow them to show off.

That's the F1 I fell in love with.

Ferrari can stay, and, I think Mercedes has done well by McLaren as well.

I like the idea of the car companies as suppliers.  I think the rules should be opened up, especially KERS.  I think the possibility of an electric F1 car could be pursued.  That would work nicely with the refueling ban.  (I'd miss the noise, but I'm betting the drivers wouldn't)

david1275

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »

[/quote]
I think the possibility of an electric F1 car could be pursued.  That would work nicely with the refueling ban.  (I'd miss the noise, but I'm betting the drivers wouldn't)
[/quote]

Electric F1 cars??? I think I had a nightmare like that once Jeri.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »

I think the possibility of an electric F1 car could be pursued.  That would work nicely with the refueling ban.  (I'd miss the noise, but I'm betting the drivers wouldn't)
[/quote]

Electric F1 cars??? I think I had a nightmare like that once Jeri.
[/quote]

What's wrong with electric cars?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
I'd love to see F1 get back to the old "run whatcha brung" days, with V-8's, V-10's, V-12's, Flat 12's and even an H-16! Just set a displacement limit and let fly.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »
Reading through the new book on Williams (great read by the way), I long for a return to the days Cos describes.  Race what you have and scrounge the rest.  Of course there is that aspect of seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses, but I am not sure F1 has improved as a spectacle with the big money and the big car companies involved. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:38 PM »

According to the Daily Telegraph the allegation is being pushed by Globo TV from guess where, Yup - Brazil of course!

"Since being dropped by Renault last month, Piquet has been outspoken in his criticism of the team and in particular their team principal, Flavio Briatore, who is also a co-owner of Championship football club Queen's Park Rangers.

It is understood that Piquet's father, three-times world champion Nelson Piquet, was also furious about his son's treatment.

Fresh rumours regarding Singapore had been buzzing around even before Brazilian TV station Globo claimed on Sunday night that it had evidence to back up the story.

A spokesperson for the sport's world governing body, the FIA, would not elaborate on the investigation, merely saying: "The FIA can confirm that an investigation is underway regarding alleged events at a previous world championship race." If the FIA does find any evidence of wrongdoing, it could call a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council, which has wide-reaching powers.

Penalties could range from exclusion from the championship to fines. In 2007 the council hit McLaren with a $100million fine, still the largest in sport, for their part in the Ferrari-Spygate row."

from the Daily Telegraph
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle