collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 593
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault Given Suspended Sentence  (Read 2637 times)

Offline cosworth151

Renault Given Suspended Sentence
« on: September 21, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
Renault has been handed a two-year suspended ban for its involvement in fixing the result of last year's Singapore Grand Prix. The WMSC has ruled that Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds were solely responsible for the incident.

The full text of the ruling:

http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2009/Pages/wmsc_210909.aspx

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

Re: Renault Given Suspended Sentence
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »
Not really sure what to make of this just yet.  It seems rather lenient all things considered, I guess the individuals concerned have been punished but this smacks of vendetta as opposed to true punishment.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »
Not really sure what to make of this just yet.  It seems rather lenient all things considered, I guess the individuals concerned have been punished but this smacks of vendetta as opposed to true punishment.

I think the Fia didn't want to lose another big name
in F1.

Maybe the FIA didn't hand Piquet any penalties but I
sure hope the F1 teams blackball him
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
No kidding.  My take on this is that if Ron Dennis had resigned from Mclaren just before the WMSC hearing it had two years ago, they would also have had a suspended sentence, and not a $100m fine?  Of course we don't know what sort of discussions went on in the corridors - very likely it was explained clearly to Max and his henchmen that should Renault pay for this in any way, they will leave the sport immediately and cut off engine supply as well...or something like that.

So Briatore out for life and Symonds banned for 5 years (which effectively closes his F1 or other motorsports career).  Interesting is the part about Briatore's management.  Any driver associated with Briatore will not receive a superlicense.  I guess there are some driver managers out there chomping at the bit to take over his posse or as many as they can.  So Flav goes back to his yacht and girls.  See ya.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
Rumours of Flavio retiring are as frequent as Alonso to Ferrari.

At least that's finally off the table.

Maybe he'll go to NASCAR.  I know it's not really his thing, but it seems to be a popular destination when F1 doesn't work out these days.

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »
I feel that Renault got off lightly, merely had their wrists slapped. On the other hand if they were handed out a harsher punishment, they would have waved goodbye to Formula 1. Makes me wonder if a deal was actually worked out before today`s meeting.
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »

So Briatore out for life and Symonds banned for 5 years (which effectively closes his F1 or other motorsports career).  Interesting is the part about Briatore's management.  Any driver associated with Briatore will not receive a superlicense.  I guess there are some driver managers out there chomping at the bit to take over his posse or as many as they can.  So Flav goes back to his yacht and girls.  See ya.

This bit about associated with Flav could rebound on the FIA, restraint of trade is illegal in the EU. Without very exact wording about the date after which connections cannot apply and a clear interpretation of the words 'associated with' there may be big problems, particularly if it costs innocent drivers a race seat or money.

I think they had to go easy on Renault, taking on Flav is one thing but making an enemy of Renault could have seriously damaged the FIA. Since Renault have cleaned their own house they would have been gunning for the main men in F1 to explain why it took so long to take action when they all seemed to know, but did nothing about the problem last year. 

I'm sure Renault have done exactly what Piquet tried unsuccessfully to do, they have got a deal to stay in F1 with the double threat of  (1) pulling out, and (2) taking others down with them. Renault could also make a very very big hole in motorsport in general if it pulled out of all single seat and tin top series. They have single make or supply power to well over half a dozen high pofile series no other company comes close to their participation.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:36:50 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
Piquet slams Briatore as the 'executioner'

I suppose that the role of "Executioner" has now been reversed.
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

I rather think Max would like to lay claim to the title of Lord high executioner in this pantomime, Piquet Minimus is just the greasy traitor that oiled the guillotine's mechanism. :D

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »

I rather think Max would like to lay claim to the title of Lord high executioner in this pantomime, Piquet Minimus is just the greasy traitor that oiled the guillotine's mechanism. :D

interesting John S, please explain why PIQUET is "....the greasy traitor......", and to whom; the sport or the RENAULT team?

I for one am very glad his testimony brought down a crook, an utter cheat who has proved before he will flout any regulation to win. Anyone remember Flavio's time at BENETTON, and more recently the RENAULT spygate saga?

Good riddance I say.

However I do agree this has all the hallmarks of a classic MOSLEY coup as did ron DENNIS's departure and I wonder if the vengeful Lord High Executioner will be satisfied now.

Oh, but then does Max know who set up the 'sting' operation about his kinky sex-life?
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »

interesting John S, please explain why PIQUET is "....the greasy traitor......", and to whom; the sport or the RENAULT team?

I call him the greasy traitor because he got involved for his own gain of the 09 drive in the Renault, but when unable to perform well enough to keep the drive decided he didn't like the deal he had struck after all. Hence a traitor to his companions the co-conspirators.

There's not an ounce of morality amongst them, that's the conspirators and the Lord High Executioners crew as well.

But I'm not sure we expect too much morality in motorsport especially F1, huge powerful engines creating a vast cacophony of noise pollution and using up fuel incrediblely ineffieciently, then costly, accidental, shunts as well. Add to that the extreme cost of the components and the waste of good champagne, a more immoral entertainment is hard to find in todays world - but I do love it! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »

Both - if he was the one who brought up the idea (none of us were in the room, and although Symonds wasn't forthcoming with many of his answers, the ones he did answer were truthful - unlike Flavio - so if he suggested that Piquet brought up the idea in the first place, maybe he did), and secondly because he simply could have said no.  The cars aren't remote control.  I thought the drivers weren't either.

I for one am very glad his testimony brought down a crook, an utter cheat who has proved before he will flout any regulation to win. Anyone remember Flavio's time at BENETTON, and more recently the RENAULT spygate saga?

I don't recall what he did at Benetton to indicate anything other than he was a rookie celebrity, but you are so right when it comes to him managing drivers he hires and fires.  Being involved in this doesn't surprise me in the least...but I can't believe Symonds didn't just walk out of the room and refuse to be part of it.

Good riddance I say.

Me too, for all the above reasons and more.

Oh, but then does Max know who set up the 'sting' operation about his kinky sex-life?

I'm starting to wonder that myself.  I always guessed it was an employee of Ron, but now I wonder if it wasn't Flavio.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
My problem is the collateral in all of this.  Again F1 is damaged.  Is the penalty really seen as harsh?  We know it is a way of appearing harsh whilst not driving out Renault, but what about those less obsessed with F1?  The same people who saw McLaren given that massive 100m penalty last year and then given a suspended sentence this season for 'lie-gate'.  It is not likely this punishment will ever be invoked, so who really suffered?  

Briatore has been punished, and rightly so, as head of the team all decisions must be laid at his feet.  So the team cheated, he is ultimately responsible.  Is his punishment just however?  He cheated, so he deserves a penalty, a lifetime ban though?  Is this not harsh?  I dislike the man, so am not defending him, but this is blatant targetting by the FIA.  Max must have been thrilled to see he had a chance to remove the one other thorn in his side.  I agree with John here that Max was the executioner and Nelsinho was the traitor who broke confidences because he had been sacked.  I am sure many teams will have done something dubious recently but their drivers kept quiet.  Still, I am not condoning the actions of the team, cheating like this must be stamped out.  Now for Symonds, arguably equally responsible for the crash being set up if the stories are to be believed.  But he was not the target of Piquet, he mentions him but never with the venom of how he spoke of Flavio.  It had to be both or neither sadly, and now I think F1 has lost one of the guys who always went out of his way to explain things to TV and magazines about the workings and strategies of cars.  His 5 year suspension seems unduely harsh as a result, could he not have had a 2 year ban with the final 3 suspended if found to be cheating again?  

Anyway, I am glad the matter is now (hopefully) cleared up, punishment was needed but in a way to keep Renault in (even if their future participation is still in doubt to some extent).  I am just really musing as opposed to suggesting.  I find the whole incident sad.  The person I dislike most out of this is Piquet Jr.  I hope his career stalls permanently and that some bottom rung team doesn't offer him a lifeline.

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
The one thing in this I am unhappy about is Piquet Jr getting off scot free, he deserved having the book thrown at him, to deliberately crash, without regard for other competitors, marshals or spectators is beyond me.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 09:52:27 PM »
Briatore has been punished, and rightly so, as head of the team all decisions must be laid at his feet.  So the team cheated, he is ultimately responsible.  Is his punishment just however?  He cheated, so he deserves a penalty, a lifetime ban though?  Is this not harsh?

I suspect there is an appeals process, and/or a process for overturning a 'lifetime' ban. 

Flavio has long talked of getting out of F1 though, I wonder if he was trying to get thrown out!

I think the biggest crime Flavio did was not looking out for his driver as both a team director AND a personal manager.  Either one would be good for a 5 year ban, but add them up, and 10 years might as well be life.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle