collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 548
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie Visits Cloud Cuckoo (again)  (Read 2368 times)

Offline cosworth151

Bernie Visits Cloud Cuckoo (again)
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
Well, he's at it again.

Bernie says he's wants F1 to return to the U.S., and that he wants the race in Manhattan. "They said we couldn't have a race in Singapore, either."

I think he's been smoking something he shouldn't.

New York City just stopped a NASCAR attempt to put a race there. ISC (NASCAR's track ownership arm) was going to build a track on Staten Island, with their own money. The City wanted no part of it. If they turn down a free NASCAR race, do you think they'll spend a fortune to bring Bernie's circus in? Remember, NASCAR is far, FAR more popular over here.

Take the word of a former Manhattanite, there is no place on the whole island that would make a good circuit. It would be just like Singapore. And there is no way one could call what happened in Singapore today a real race!

Put it back in Indy where it belongs!

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline PG_Gabriel

Re: Bernie Visits Cloud Cuckoo (again)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:50:38 PM »
Personally i think there are much better courses fore F1 in the us than Indy. Its just that none of them have good enough facilities to host a Formula 1 race.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:05:16 AM »
I'm willing to bet that NYC would be more accomodating of a world class race than an overambitious bunch of red necks.

I can't imagine that Manhattan could be closed off enough to errect stands and safety barriers.

BUT... they're still rebuilding the World Trade Centre.  I suggest it would be in poor taste to turn the site into a millionaires' playground, but the area should be large enough to stage a race.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:33:46 AM »

yeah, but at least the lil' one is consistantly and optimistically scheming for more money!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:48:35 AM »
I think the thing is Bernie believes everyone wants to hand him lots of money, and he gets very annoyed when people say to him they'd like to give him less than he wants, or nothing at all (see Silverstone, France, heck... most of Europe).  So right now, why wouldn't NY want to give him money?  In his world, everyone does!

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »
Dreamland for sure.  First of all, the footprint of the WTC would be able to accomodate little more than the pits and paddock, but it's moot since there would be no way that they would let the F1 circus set up on that sacred ground.  Secondly, as Jeri said, they would never be allowed to close off so many streets in Manhatten unless they staged it in the middle of the night.  Third, the noise between the skyscrapers would be horrendous, and you'd have every interest group you can think of opposed to it.  No, if they were going to have a race anywhere near NYC, it would be way outside of the city.  I have a better idea, they should build a track at the site of Woodstock and start planning for a 50yr anniversary in 2019 and combine it with another massive concert weekend. :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
I have to disagree, Jeri. You say "racing" to most American and they think NASCAR. I doubt that more than 2 or 3% of New Yorkers would even know what F1 is. Thanks to Bernie's bloviating, the general opinion of F1 here in the States is, for the most part, negative.

If F1 is to regain its footing here, it needs to reach out to the general public. To that public, there are three tracks: Indy, Daytona and "Never heard of it." The road course at Daytona is a joke. That leaves Indy.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
Dreamland for sure.  First of all, the footprint of the WTC would be able to accomodate little more than the pits and paddock, but it's moot since there would be no way that they would let the F1 circus set up on that sacred ground.  Secondly, as Jeri said, they would never be allowed to close off so many streets in Manhatten unless they staged it in the middle of the night.  Third, the noise between the skyscrapers would be horrendous, and you'd have every interest group you can think of opposed to it.  No, if they were going to have a race anywhere near NYC, it would be way outside of the city.  I have a better idea, they should build a track at the site of Woodstock and start planning for a 50yr anniversary in 2019 and combine it with another massive concert weekend. :crazy:

Wall Street is dead on the weekends.  They could close it up for 48 hours, and there would be very little impact to businesses.  No one lives there, so you don't have to worry about the noise either.  The problem is that an F1 weekend is longer than 48 hours, and you can't shut down Wall Street on a Friday.

I'm sure there's an island in NYC that would be suitable.  Montreal managed to find one just fine.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »
I have to disagree, Jeri. You say "racing" to most American and they think NASCAR. I doubt that more than 2 or 3% of New Yorkers would even know what F1 is. Thanks to Bernie's bloviating, the general opinion of F1 here in the States is, for the most part, negative.

If F1 is to regain its footing here, it needs to reach out to the general public. To that public, there are three tracks: Indy, Daytona and "Never heard of it." The road course at Daytona is a joke. That leaves Indy.

I'm not talking about 'most Americans', I'm talking about the ones who get to decide when and where race facilities are built:  the political class.  THEY know about F1.  THEY know about Monaco.  I can't picture Bloomberg having hot dogs at Charlotte, but I can see him sipping champagne at Valencia. 

I can imagine Bernie convincing the movers and shakers that if NYC wants to remain a world class city, it needs an F1 race of its own.  (Not saying it's a good idea, but just that it seems plausible.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:15:49 PM »
The Wall Street area, like most of Manhattan, is made up of rectangular city blocks. Any race there would be straight, 90 degree turn, straight, 90 degree turn, straight, 90 degree turn, ect. Remember Phoenix?

Bloomberg is facing re-election, and may run for the Senate. There is no way he's going to hang out with "elitist Europeans." That wouldn't play upstate at all!
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
I can't see it happening, period.  Too much stacked against it.  Personally I'm glad if it doesn't...I'd much rather see another open road course than NYC.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »
The Wall Street area, like most of Manhattan, is made up of rectangular city blocks. Any race there would be straight, 90 degree turn, straight, 90 degree turn, straight, 90 degree turn, ect. Remember Phoenix?

Bloomberg is facing re-election, and may run for the Senate. There is no way he's going to hang out with "elitist Europeans." That wouldn't play upstate at all!

My knowledge of Manhatten comes from a few Discovery Channel shows.  South of Wall Street (the street itself) isn't in a grid, it's the original Dutch Settlement.  Is the financial district north or south of the actual street?  A hairpin around that Flat Iron building would look kinda cool.

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »
If you want a race in NY not NYC how about a little
track named Watkins Glen
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:59:56 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »
That would be fantastic, but unless Tilke could flatten it and screw up the corners, it would never get the FIA's or Bernie's approval.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
If you want a race in NY not NYC how about a little
track nmes Watkins Glen

I don't care where, just more races in the Western Hemisphere so I can sleep in on Sundays!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle