collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 261
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13005 Posts
John S John S
11287 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should Kimi sit on the couch next year?  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Scott

Should Kimi sit on the couch next year?
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »
Personally I think it's insulting for Mclaren to make an offer that makes it more lucrative to sit the season out than to race for them.  As for the sponsor issues, I think Kimi and his management should suck it up and have him do the sponsor events...that's one reason F1 drivers are paid in the millions and not in the thousands.  If Mclaren demands an unusually high number of sponsor days, then maybe there is room for compromise, but if they are no more demanding than the average team, then too bad for Kimi.

From F1 Live:

Kimi Raikkonen stands to make more money in 2010 if he takes a sabbatical. Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that if the Finn accepts McLaren's current offer, he will earn €15m in 2010, as opposed to €17m if he has a season on the sidelines.

According to his termination deal with Ferrari, the Italian team has promised to pay Raikkonen €17m if he does not race in F1 next year, and €10m if he finds suitable employment elsewhere.

Realising this, McLaren has reportedly offered Raikkonen just 5 million for the 2010 seat, concluding that €15m in total earnings is a very healthy amount for the 2007 world champion.

Presently, Raikkonen's management team of Steve and David Robertson is demanding that McLaren pay a full retainer, plus agree to a reduced amount of sponsorship days for their charge.

Nick Heidfeld has been touted as McLaren's 'plan B', and in an interview with spox.com, the German was asked about Martin Whitmarsh's recent statement that the German veteran is perhaps F1's most underrated driver.

"At the moment I'm not ruling out any team," he answered.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Should Kimi sit on the couch next year?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »

IMO if Kimi is just in it for the money he doesnt he need to be in a race winning car. :P

I think McLaren are making a point with their offer, they are asking Kimi to show his commitment to giving his all by their low offer. After all they can have their pick of 3 or 4 drivers all happy to accept less than 5 million.

In the past many people have offered to change teams for much less money to make sure they are in a car that is competetive, if you are really in F1 for the racing and to try for another title it's surely no contest on the money issue.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Sounds to me like there should be a compromise between pay and sponsor commitments that both sides can agree to.

If Kimi is in it for the money, then 17 million and zero sponsor appearances would be very compelling.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
Maybe there's more to it than we know (likely).  Often when a team offers a 'proven winner' (I put it in parenthesis because some of you don't actually agree that he is one) a reduced retainer, it comes with some sort of bonus compensation, either tied into points, podiums, or some other incentive, which would have the potential of bringing his earnings up to more realistic levels.  I'm not sure if the Robertsons or Mclaren have this in mind or not.  If they do, and it simply wasn't mentioned in the article, then perhaps it is a reasonable offer after all. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
Maybe there's more to it than we know (likely).  Often when a team offers a 'proven winner' (I put it in parenthesis because some of you don't actually agree that he is one) a reduced retainer, it comes with some sort of bonus compensation, either tied into points, podiums, or some other incentive, which would have the potential of bringing his earnings up to more realistic levels.  I'm not sure if the Robertsons or Mclaren have this in mind or not.  If they do, and it simply wasn't mentioned in the article, then perhaps it is a reasonable offer after all. 

Why not make ALL contracts incentive based?  It would preclude team orders (pulling over could cost you million dollars!), and it would give the 'medals' mentality Bernie wants in the drivers without really mucking up the teams.

Each team would pay their drivers the same contract, so just a matter of building a car to attract top talent.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »
Utopia, but it'll never happen. Kimi better race now if he ever wants to be in F1 again. If  a year goes by I think he'll be done.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »
I think he's done now Lonny.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
Has a driver ever sat out a season, and then come back to drive competitively?

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:38 PM »
Nikki Lauder for one Jeri.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »
Has a driver ever sat out a season, and then come back to drive competitively?

After a lack lustre 91 season in an uncompetetive Ferrari Alain Prost sat out the 92 season and came back in 93 with Williams and took the championship. He then found himself out in the cold when Senna grabbed the Williams for 94, the rest of the story at Imola is, as they say, history. The Irony is Prost won easily in Imola in 93 from one Michael Schumacher, they were the only 2 cars to finish on the lead lap.

I am still of the belief that it was Senna's inability to cope with young Michael stuck to his exhaust pipe, a year later, that led to Ayrton overcooking it and starting the fatal shunt. Alain is far to sporting to to admit it, but I'm sure a wry smile crept accross his face at some point.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »
The Irony is Prost won easily in Imola in 93 from one Michael Schumacher, they were the only 2 cars to finish on the lead lap.

I got that question right in the quiz  :D :D

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »
Utopia, but it'll never happen. Kimi better race now if he ever wants to be in F1 again. If  a year goes by I think he'll be done.

Lonny

He'd better race somewhere look what happened to Mika
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline gato

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Kimi's father died suddenly few days before Christmas! :o Kimi is very shocked too because he and his father got along well and his father was very supportive for Kimi's motorsport career. Now Kimi's career is temporarily stopped. He must choose what team to take next season for rally but his sorrow is now more harder point than his racing career. I hope that he will recover it but of course it takes time...and his father will be forever in his heart.
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle