collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 599
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren tee up Jenson Button to partner Lewis Hamilton in 2010  (Read 3701 times)

Offline PoleMan

McLaren tee up Jenson Button to partner Lewis Hamilton in 2010
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
McLaren have made Kimi Raikkonen their second choice if the Button approach fails, with Nick Heidfeld third favourite.

poleman

Offline Andy B

Re: McLaren tee up Jenson Button to partner Lewis Hamilton in 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
Hi Poleman

I had seen the press reports that JB and KR had paid Woking a visit but not NH? Where did that info come from?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »
"Ultimately, Jenson is a very loyal guy but at some point it stops being about the money. Let's face it, everyone likes to feel wanted," said Goddard.

Sorry, but a statement like that coming from Button's camp can only make me laugh.  Loyal?  Ask Frank about that, or Dave Richards.  Not about the money?  Ask the same guys and others at Honda.  How can Goddard say that with a straight face?  Jenson's past is starting to haunt him, so it's time he showed that he really is a team player and accept the Brawn offer of personal sponsor freedom and get on with it.  Button in the 'second' Mclaren?  Good luck!  His career will be over before he has a chance at another championship if he moves to Mclaren.

"If Brawn are going to sell the team, and there is going to be a big influx of money, then why shouldn't Jenson be making some of that?" he said.

If there ever was a case of it being the car that won the championship, this is it.  If Button wasn't there, then Barrichelo would have won the WDC, and Button would be driving DTM's now if it wasn't for Brawn.  Don't get me wrong, Button drove well, but his sense of entitlement is a bit askew if you ask me.  Why should Jenson get the Honda retainer?  He signed that deal with Honda, not Ross Brawn.  Why should Jenson profit if Brawn sells the team to Merc?  He probably could have put some millions in and become a shareholder and then might have been able to profit that way.

From F1 Live:

McLaren has confirmed British newspaper reports revealing that Jenson Button visited the Woking based team's headquarters on Friday.

The 2009 world champion had just touched down in Heathrow after a post-season holiday in Japan when he made "a small detour to Woking to say hello", a McLaren spokesman said.

The Guardian newspaper said his manager Richard Goddard was also given a tour of the factory by team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

Button is considering lining up alongside 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton next year, with his current employer Brawn not willing to substantially increase his retainer.

Goddard was quoted by the Telegraph newspaper as scoffing at Ross Brawn's proposal that Button be given more freedom to negotiate personal sponsorships rather than more money.

"Jenson has always controlled his own image rights," he said, adding that the current situation - with Brawn not playing ball despite rumours of big sponsors for 2010 and a takeover by Mercedes - is "worrying".

"If Brawn are going to sell the team, and there is going to be a big influx of money, then why shouldn't Jenson be making some of that?" he said.

"Ultimately, Jenson is a very loyal guy but at some point it stops being about the money. Let's face it, everyone likes to feel wanted," said Goddard.

Earlier this week, Kimi Raikkonen’s management also visited McLaren.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:45:50 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »

I personally think that Jens will be a good fit at McLaren, we certainly won't see the kind of soured relationship of the Lewis/Alonso patnership, and with his smooth & calculated driving style we should see better results, even wins, from the 2nd car.

From McLarens point of view they need two drivers capable of scoring points or wins at every race to win the constructers title, and the WDC, so the pairing of Jens/Lewis makes an awful lot of sense.

From Brawn's point of view I'm not convinced they will have the same car advantage in 2010 and will by default become a solid midfield team. I think the early part of next season wiil see Red Bull, McLaren and maybe Ferrari fighting up front, there are not big enough rule changes to throw up suprises like this year IMO.

So given the choice of staying for next to no money at Brawn versus a good salary and a chance to win races at Macca, the choice is an easy one for Button surely?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »
From Mclaren's point of view, I agree with your points, however I still think they would be better off with Kimi over Jenson.

However from the Brawn perspective, I think there will be two new factors that could well favour Ross Brawn.  First is the fuel tank.  I can imagine that Brawn may come up with a revolutionary way to fit a fuel tank (or tanks?) that if it is a clever enough design, could help balance the car in a way that others may not think of, thereby protecting the tires for even longer first stints as an advantage (of course this is speculation, but I think it makes sense to focus on that).  Secondly is the strategy with tires and fuel economy - not many come close to the Brawn brain for strategy, and I believe that he will out-think the rest more often than not. 

I also agree about Red Bull - I think Newey is going to figure out something new as well, and will likely be at the pointy end of the grid.  I'm not so sure about Ferrari though - it will be interesting to see if they can figure out a great design or not.

But my comments were directed at the Button management and Button himself if he is not pushing for a Brawn solution.  If he gets completely overshadowed at Mclaren by Hamilton, he will be one bitter, bitter boy, and I'm not so sure things would go any better than Alonzo's time there.  Lewis is completely integrated in the team now, and regardless if there are a few Button fans on the team, the management will be more focused on a Hamilton charge than a Button one.  That could change of course depending on what would happen in the first few races.  Calling Button loyal and the negotiations being not about money still makes me laugh.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
From Mclaren's point of view, I agree with your points, however I still think they would be better off with Kimi over Jenson.

However from the Brawn perspective, I think there will be two new factors that could well favour Ross Brawn.  First is the fuel tank.  I can imagine that Brawn may come up with a revolutionary way to fit a fuel tank (or tanks?) that if it is a clever enough design, could help balance the car in a way that others may not think of, thereby protecting the tires for even longer first stints as an advantage (of course this is speculation, but I think it makes sense to focus on that).  Secondly is the strategy with tires and fuel economy - not many come close to the Brawn brain for strategy, and I believe that he will out-think the rest more often than not. 

I also agree about Red Bull - I think Newey is going to figure out something new as well, and will likely be at the pointy end of the grid.  I'm not so sure about Ferrari though - it will be interesting to see if they can figure out a great design or not.

But my comments were directed at the Button management and Button himself if he is not pushing for a Brawn solution.  If he gets completely overshadowed at Mclaren by Hamilton, he will be one bitter, bitter boy, and I'm not so sure things would go any better than Alonzo's time there.  Lewis is completely integrated in the team now, and regardless if there are a few Button fans on the team, the management will be more focused on a Hamilton charge than a Button one.  That could change of course depending on what would happen in the first few races.  Calling Button loyal and the negotiations being not about money still makes me laugh.

I think you're spot on on all points.  Jenson has had one great year, and Kimi has had one year that, while substandard, is still better than any other season Button has had.  I'd pay Kimi twice as much as Jenson as an F1 driver.

I also believe that Brawn will run out to an early lead due to superior strategy, and then coast the rest of the season once everyone else figures out what he already knows.

The fuel balance is going to be the real wild card.  It will be hard to get the strategy and balance worked out in testing.  I assume they can model tire wear in the computer, but you can't do that in the wind tunnel, can you?  Someone's going to get it right.  Most will get it wrong.  If I had to pick one guy to get it right, I'd pick Brawn.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »

I think you're spot on on all points.  Jenson has had one great year, and Kimi has had one year that, while substandard, is still better than any other season Button has had.  I'd pay Kimi twice as much as Jenson as an F1 driver.

Kimi is the only one who thinks he is worth twice anyone else, that's why he is having difficulty securing a drive, I for one don't subscribe to him being superior to Jens.

Kimi has always been in a potential front running car for the last 5 years where as Jens has only had it for one.

I think Macca should have a shoot out for the 2nd seat like some of the other teams, I think the outcome would suprise you. :P

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
I'd pay him double, Jeri would, and I would hazard a guess that Rom would too  :P  Ferrari paid him 10x and Mclaren 5x what anyone has ever paid Button to date (if you don't count what Honda had to pay Williams when Button waffled on his contract).

As for Kimi being in front running cars, I'd take issue with some of those 5 years.  2009 was widely accepted to be a dog by Ferrari standards, but he still won a race.  2008 I'll give you - I still can't figure that one out, but he did come in 3rd.  2007 he won, even though the Mclaren was a stronger car.  2006 the Mercs blew up almost every other race, and he retired more than once from the lead.  2005 wasn't much better, but to be fair, he won more points that year than any other in his career to finish 2nd. 

If Jenson won a shootout against Kimi in any car, you're right, I'd be surprised.   :P :P

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
Put JenSON and Kimi in equal cars and I'd bet on JenSON.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

FW14B

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »
To be honest, whilst Jenson is my favourite driver, I do think Kimi is better and when he can be bothered is probably the fastest driver on the grid and has shown it time and time again.  Yes, at times he really can look lazy but so often he just outperforms his car or shows stunning domination.  Frankly I would be gutted to not see Kimi on the grid in 2010.

As for the main point of this thread...  I think Jenson's manager is possibly trying to put the past out of people's minds to make negotiations easier, might be a little easier if he had attempted to renege on only one contract than two in the space of a year or so. I do believe though that as World Champion he should be given a pay rise, even if it is on purely a one year deal to see how he handles next year. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »
According to Bernie, Jens & Brawn are just sparring and will kiss and make up, I guess if he says so it must be true! ;) 

I still think Jens will be better off at McLaren for reasons previously stated. :P

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5694035,00.html

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
Besides, Mclaren is a scraggly-beard-free team.  Now what would Button be doing there?

Brawn on the other hand is a razor challenged team...he fits right in!
 :tease:

Offline PoleMan

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
According to reports, Button has agreed terms to join McLaren and will partner Lewis Hamilton in an all-British line-up in 2010 and he will sign "within the next few days".
I found this at

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/news/button-signs-three-year-deal-with-mclaren-19463478.html

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 09:11:59 PM »
According to reports, Button has agreed terms to join McLaren and will partner Lewis Hamilton in an all-British line-up in 2010 and he will sign "within the next few days".
I found this at

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/news/button-signs-three-year-deal-with-mclaren-19463478.html

I call Hamilton scoring twice Button's points, and Button moving on to another team for 2011.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
I call Hamilton scoring twice Button's points, and Button moving on to another team for 2011.

I'll second that.  Maybe Manor?  Campos?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle