collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 539
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi to take a sabatical in 2010  (Read 2913 times)

FW14B

Kimi to take a sabatical in 2010
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
Well, I'll certainly miss him in 2010, I can understand his desire to only challenge for wins but I think it is a mistake for him not to be racing in 2010.  Shocking though to think that he can earn more by not racing than he might have done had he gotten the McLaren drive.  Please come back in 2011 Kimi!

From Autosport:

Raikkonen to take a sabbatical in 2010

By Jonathan Noble    Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 23:55 GMT

Kimi RaikkonenFormer world champion Kimi Raikkonen will take a sabbatical from Formula 1 next year, his manager has revealed, following the collapse of talks with McLaren about a deal for 2010.

Raikkonen said last month that, in the wake of being released from his Ferrari contract, his only option to remain in F1 was with McLaren - because he wanted to be guaranteed a top-line grand prix car.

However, amid increasing speculation that Jenson Button is on his way to the British team, Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson revealed on Tuesday night that discussions with McLaren had come to an end.

"The options in F1 were with McLaren next season or not at all," Robertson was quoted as saying by respected Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat, which has close links with the Raikkonen camp. "Kimi and McLaren were unable to reach an agreement, so he will not drive at the F1 level - at least not next year.

"A gap year means nothing for Kimi. He is more interested in fighting for wins and the world championship. F1 will miss Kimi. He worked hard over the summer - doing things in a Ferrari that only the best drivers are capable of."

AUTOSPORT understands that there were several stumbling blocks to a deal being completed with McLaren prior to the team finding out that Button was available and interested.

As well as a difference of opinion about wages, Raikkonen and McLaren were believed to not be in agreement about the number of sponsorship appearance days he should do, or about how free he was to do rallies.

With Raikkonen only interested in returning to F1 in a race-winning car, his best option for 2011 would appear to lie with Red Bull Racing - which has a theoretical vacancy for 2011 with Mark Webber currently only contracted until the end of next year.

Although it is not clear what Raikkonen will do next year, it is possible that he will focus his efforts on the World Rally Championship – while he sorts out an F1 return. Red Bull could be involved in his rally plans too.

Offline Scott

Re: Kimi to take a sabatical in 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:58:54 AM »
If they are paying Button more than they would have paid Kimi, then they must have been miles apart on the sponsor commitments and rally freedom...imo
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm going to miss Kimi.

I hope that Kobayashi finds a car that suits him.  I'd love to see a variety of teams winning races again.

I'm not looking forward to the main stories being about how Button and Alonso feel like they're getting the short end of the stick on their new teams.

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »
Yeah, I worry 2010 will see those bad headlines too, it is not always a good thing to partner two very strong drivers with strong egos. 

Agree with you totally Jeri on the other points too!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:06:05 PM »
Wasn't Mika just going to take a year off, too? With all of the young talent around the sport, I think Kimi will miss F1 more than F1 will miss him.

Besides, when his rally car packs it in out in the middle of some Special Stage, it'll be an awfully long walk to find a yacht to get hammered on.  :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

david1275

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
I will also miss Kimi from F1 but not from Ferrari. I was looking forward to him being the opposition by getting the McLaren drive.

Wasn't Mika just going to take a year off, too? With all of the young talent around the sport, I think Kimi will miss F1 more than F1 will miss him.

I agree with you here Cos. He might find it hard enough to get back in if he doesn't keep his face in F1. Hope he does though.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
I will also miss Kimi from F1 but not from Ferrari. I was looking forward to him being the opposition by getting the McLaren drive.

I agree with you here Cos. He might find it hard enough to get back in if he doesn't keep his face in F1. Hope he does though.

We saw the 'quality' of replacement drivers this season.  Kimi is going to be a sword of Damocles hanging over any driver in a 'top' team who doesn't get off to a good start.  (Or heaven forbid there's another accident.) 

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »
I really do not see what Ferrari had against Raikkonen.  He won the title in his debut season with the team, you cannot ask for too much more than that.  And for much of this season he has single handedly kept the team in the running despite a lack of interest allegedly from the rest of the team who chose to concentrate on 2010.  

*This first comment was not aimed at anyone here, just a general thought outloud from a guy whose team is lacking in the winning stakes*

I agree again Jeri, he will be a potentially dangerous figure for any underperforming driver in a top team.  Damn I wish Williams were a top team!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:48:52 PM by Williamsfan »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:10:11 PM »
I really do not see what Ferrari had against Raikkonen.  He won the title in his debut season with the team, you cannot ask for too much more than that.  And for much of this season he has single handedly kept the team in the running despite a lack of interest allegedly from the rest of the team who chose to concentrate on 2010.  

*This first comment was not aimed at anyone here, just a general thought outloud from a guy whose team is lacking in the winning stakes*

I agree again Jeri, he will be a potentially dangerous figure for any underperforming driver in a top team.  Damn I wish Williams were a top team!

Kimi was the paid big bucks by Ferrari as team leader for 3 seasons Williamsfan, sure he won the championship in year one but last year it was the lower paid Massa who almost took the crown not Raikkanon. This year until his accident Felippe was once again leading Kimi in the points and there is every reason to suppose Massa would have stayed ahead of him IMO.

Raikkanon is not perceived as a team player by the teams or sponsors and without that you need to be a really remarkable driver, not just a good when things go right and average to poor the rest.

Kimi will find it hard to get back into a top team without serving a year in a 2nd string outfit and making everyone take notice. Once he could have done that, now I'm not so sure he can get motivated for it. I doub't Kimi will return. :(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »
Raikkanon is not perceived as a team player by the teams or sponsors and without that you need to be a really remarkable driver, not just a good when things go right and average to poor the rest.

I think it's the problems with sponsors that cost Kimi.  An F1 driver spends very little of his time racing cars, and a lot of it schmoozing.  I don't blame Kimi for hating that part.  But if he's not willing to do the crappy part of being an F1 driver, he can't expect the big bucks.  Without in season testing to keep him occupied, I wonder how much this season must've hurt the driver deep inside him.

Kimi will find it hard to get back into a top team without serving a year in a 2nd string outfit and making everyone take notice. Once he could have done that, now I'm not so sure he can get motivated for it. I doub't Kimi will return. :(

A bad year in a second tier team would kill Kimi's career.  He'll never get a top drive again, unless like Button he lucks into a fantastic situation.

A year off means that one of the new teams could be a surprise he can slip into, or McLaren decides that Button and Hamilton can't get along, or Alonso decides Ferrari is just like McLaren (i.e., not all about Alonso) and that Flavio's team is home after all.

Or maybe he realises getting fat eating ice cream IS a valid lifestyle choice.

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:19 AM »
Farewell Kimi enjoy your retirement. I for one will miss not having you around in Formula 1. ::)
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

FW14B

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »
I agree about the reasons as to why Kimi is not the all round perfect guy to lead a grand prix team, but he is a fast driver and when it comes to winning races, that is what counts (that and having the full support of the team which I think he only really had again once Massa was injured).

Anyway, amazing a sabbatical now is equal to Mercedes Grand Prix:

From Autosport

Raikkonen would consider Mercedes

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, November 19th 2009, 05:58 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen would be willing to consider a race seat at Mercedes Grand Prix next season - but only if the team could convince him it will be good enough to fight for race wins and the world championship.

Raikkonen is currently facing the prospect of taking a sabbatical from Formula 1 next year after he could not reach an agreement with his preferred option McLaren for a drive alongside Lewis Hamilton. With his talks there stalled, McLaren instead completed a deal with Jenson Button.

Although Raikkonen said recently that it was McLaren or nothing for him in F1 next year, Button's shock exit from the former Brawn GP team may have changed the situation.

Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson said on Thursday that although a sabbatical remained the most likely outcome, the 2007 world champion would listen to any offer that Mercedes made if it was interested.

"This is Formula 1. If they can offer, or convince us, that they can provide Kimi an opportunity that Kimi is happy with, and that we are happy with, and he feels he can win races and the championship, then never say never," Robertson told AUTOSPORT about the situation with Mercedes GP. "There is always a possibility."

He added: "There are not that many teams that would appeal to Kimi because he is honest when he says he has got to have a car to win. He is not interested in the money.

"Of course, money is a part of it but he doesn't need the money. He wants a car where he can show his talent. He was very frustrated this year by the fact that he could not win more races and challenge for the championship.

"When you have been in F1 for nine years and been a world champion then you need challenges – and for Kimi the challenge is to win championships and races."

Robertson said that Raikkonen had the desire to compete at the top level in F1 and that even if he went off and did rallying for a year, he would definitely work hard to find a seat with a front-running F1 team for 2011.

When asked if Raikkonen had the hunger to get back into F1, Robertson said: "Yes. As far as Kimi is concerned he has unfinished business - if the opportunity is there to win races and another championship. That is his main goal.

"Now it looks like he is not doing F1 we will look at other options. Rallying, or something else – but there is nothing firmed up in that area yet because F1 has only just finished for us in the last few days. Now it is the time to discuss other things."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 10:30:37 AM »

A bad year in a second tier team would kill Kimi's career.  He'll never get a top drive again, unless like Button he lucks into a fantastic situation.

Oi! if you think it is luck that Jenson won the drivers crown this year and has been signed my McLaren for next year you obviously have watched a totally different F1 series to me over the last 9 years Jeri. :P

The luck element has always been Kimi's trademark with some of the biggest pay packets in the sport, he will still be one of the highest paid drivers this year and not have to turn a wheel. Some would say it was luck again that the Macca drivers prevented each other from winning so allowing him to scrape through to take his only drivers crown during his very high paid career.

I also wonder if Kimi would be regarded as well now if Michael had stayed on at Ferrari for a season or two. Ah well they do say "F1 spelt backwards is the simplest of words with the greatest effect on discussions about the sport", I guess we shall never know. :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
Jenson was very lucky to end up in a Brawn last season. Had things kept going the way they had, the best he could have hoped for was another Honda cellar dweller.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
Anyway, amazing a sabbatical now is equal to Mercedes Grand Prix:

From Autosport

Raikkonen would consider Mercedes

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, November 19th 2009, 05:58 GMT

Although Raikkonen said recently that it was McLaren or nothing for him in F1 next year, Button's shock exit from the former Brawn GP team may have changed the situation.

To be fair, when he made the comments there was no Mercedes F1 team.

I think a lot of people wonder if Brawn's championship was a fluke, but having Mercedes backing them certainly gives the team a firmer standing.  (I personally believe if Brawn had a bigger budget that Jenson would have wrapped up the championship during the European season, or at least eliminated Red Bull drivers as possible champs.)

Right now, I'd have to say Mercedes'  chances are probably better than anyone else.  Kimi would certainly be a good second choice to Michael Schumacher, though I still believe that given a chance, Heidfeld is as good as Kimi.  And probably is happier to see sponsors.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle