collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 576
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Virgin the only British team left claims Branson  (Read 1129 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Virgin the only British team left claims Branson
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »

I call his claim to have the only British team left a bloody cheek, especially when said by someone who stashes all his wealth in tax havens offshore. One could even argue that Branson himself is now only British by birth! I think this is the start of the infamous Virgin publicity machines attempts to out gun others on the grid, by fair or more dubious means.

On the point about having the smallest budget we shall have to see if this translates to a competetive team, I sure hope Branson can cope with being ignored by most of the media at the back end of the grid.

By Jonathan Noble Autosport.     
Virgin eyes success with lowest budget

Richard Branson believes Virgin Racing can make a success of Formula 1 through talent rather than its chequebook - after revealing that the team will run with the lowest budget of any in 2010. Branson's Virgin Group unveiled its ambitious plans for next year at a launch in London on Tuesday, and its chief made it clear that it felt his company was perfectly placed to reap the benefits of a new lower-cost F1.

"F1 is trying to bring the costs down of entry," said Branson, speaking on stage. "This team will be the lowest budget team in F1. "It will run under the £40 million a year that is set in F1, and all teams within two or three years are meant to get to that level.

"But money is not everything and we are determined to prove that through engineering prowess, great drivers and great affinity with the public we can do well. I think it is the only British F1 team left - so it is great to support another British team."

Virgin Racing's CEO and team principal Alex Tai saw no reason why his team's small budget would hinder its plans for the future. "We're fully funded for next year," he explained. "We think it is right to be competing on a level playing field. We have permission that is given to us, the Virgin Brand, to do something different.

"We think it is abhorrent to be spending $400 million on building two cars. We believe it is important not to compete with the chequebook but to compete with the ingenuity that we have with Nick [Wirth], and the team spirit and experience we have with John [Booth].

"I am immensely proud of this team and we absolutely have our sights set on success. We believe that what the FIA and F1 have done in creating a level playing field is exactly the right environment for Virgin Racing to thrive in. "Our sponsors have understood that, they are backing us to succeed and what we have now is to go out there and deliver."

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

Re: Virgin the only British team left claims Branson
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »
Hmm... Williams anyone?  Or does Toto's involvement mean we're suddenly foreign?  What about McLaren?  Surely as British as any team (now)?  Branson is an odd man at times!

Offline littledave

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »
Idiot.

david1275

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »
  Branson is an odd man at times!

Understatement!! :DD

Great to see him investing in F1, but he does have a cheek with that statement.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »

By Jonathan Noble Autosport.     
Virgin eyes success with lowest budget

Richard Branson believes Virgin Racing can make a success of Formula 1 through talent rather than its chequebook - after revealing that the team will run with the lowest budget of any in 2010. ...

"We think it is abhorrent to be spending $400 million on building two cars. We believe it is important not to compete with the chequebook but to compete with the ingenuity that we have with Nick [Wirth], and the team spirit and experience we have with John [Booth].

What does he think that Ferrari is spending the money on if not talent?  Do the best people in F1 work for less money than the mediocre people?  If so, I can do a mediocre job designing an F1 car...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »

What does he think that Ferrari is spending the money on if not talent?  Do the best people in F1 work for less money than the mediocre people?  If so, I can do a mediocre job designing an F1 car...

Oh, so it was you responsible for the Ferrari stinker this year.  :swoon:

I hope you have got the money offshore they may be after a refund. :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
One of the first things I learned in racing, and one of the truest:

Speed is money. How fast do you want to spend?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »
Richard Branson is starting to sound like the BAR people circa mid-1998. I have a really bad feeling about this (unfortunately, seeing as it's my local team).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle