collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 608
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Branson: Virgin will be an F1 pioneer  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Dare

Branson: Virgin will be an F1 pioneer
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
They won't be a pioneer in having a pompous ass involved with a f1 team.To me lowest budget means Branson's a tightass and lowest grid position

Sir Richard Branson is convinced the same pioneering spirit that has characterised his other business forays will help ensure the success of his new Formula 1 venture.

As he officially unveiled Virgin Racing in London on Tuesday, the flamboyant tycoon cited the unique approach to car design being taken by technical director Nick Wirth as an example of the team’s determination to innovate.

Wirth’s Bicester-based company has pioneered an “all-digital” design process that relies on a sophisticated simulation method known as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) without the need for expensive and resource-intensive wind tunnel testing.

CFD has become increasingly important in F1 in recent years but all the existing teams also rely heavily on wind tunnel use to validate their designs.

Branson claimed that Virgin Racing will be competing with the lowest budget in F1, at less than £40m, and will therefore be aiming to outsmart rivals through engineering ingenuity.

“Over the last four decades Virgin has invested in and supported incredible engineering minds who have literally been pushing the technological boundaries of what man previously believed was possible,” said Branson.

“Boats capable of smashing world records, balloons that captured the imagination of millions around the globe, a plane built purely from carbon composite that flew around the world not once, but 2.5 times without refuelling, and with Virgin Galactic we are investing in technology that will literally push the boundaries off our planet!

“Virgin Racing will be no different.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Branson: Virgin will be an F1 pioneer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »

“Boats capable of smashing world records, balloons that captured the imagination of millions around the globe, a plane built purely from carbon composite that flew around the world not once, but 2.5 times without refuelling, and with Virgin Galactic we are investing in technology that will literally push the boundaries off our planet!

“Virgin Racing will be no different.

That's right, his boats, his carbon plane, his balloon and even his spaceship haven't wont a single F1 race, and never will.  No  difference at all...

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
I am worried by all this talk of smallest budgets.  I cannot see how this outfit can be successful and if I were Glock and Di Grassi I think I'd be somewhat worried.  I am intrigued to see how a car that never goes into a windtunnel also performs!

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »
He's just trying to get all the pre-season publicity he can, because the in-season publicity will be hard to come by.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline f1silverstone

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 04:49:27 AM »
He's just trying to get all the pre-season publicity he can, because the in-season publicity will be hard to come by.

I agree, can't see them winning any races to be honest.

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »

Welcome to the site f1silverstone!  I agree, highly unlikely Virgin will be winning races or arguably even challenging for points.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:47:14 AM »

And Hi from me as well f1silverstone, hope you enjoy the site here as much as the rest of us. On the subject of Branson and his new budget team the only thing I see is a lot of talk, if F1 is so easy how come there have been so many hi profile embarrassments over the years.
I find it hard to get excited about the new team and think they will find it tough going, however I live in hope of the Manor connection at least making a good showing amongst the newbies. The Manor outfit has always aquitted themselves well in other formulae.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
Howdy, f1silverstone. Glad to have you here!

I wonder if Branson's deal with Manor is like what he tried with Brawn last season. He buys the rights to the whole car and pockets the revenue for any other ads he sells for himself.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »
I wonder if Branson's deal with Manor is like what he tried with Brawn last season. He buys the rights to the whole car and pockets the revenue for any other ads he sells for himself.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Welcome F1Silverstone...even the off-season is fairly lively here.  Stick around!

:good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
If he can make it work on a small budget then fair play to him. I can't imagine they will break much delph out of the box.

Welcome to GP Wizard f1sliverstone, hope you stick around and enjoy contributing to our community. You just found the best F1 fourm on the web.  :good:

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »
Do you all believe he will run the team on a low budget? He always talks his chances down. He wants people to forget he is one of the richest people in the world. This is a guy who is spending billions developing a passenger space craft.
I think he will spend whatever it takes to be at the front (within whatever budget caps are set). He is not accustomed to losing.

FW14B

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »
Not being funny but given he is worth £1.2bn I am not sure he alone has the wealth to spend in an unlimited fashion given he won't want to spend all his personal fortune on F1.  Also a lot of rich guys get into sport for the extra attention it brings to them as opposed to winning.  And he does lose, look at his hot air balloon failures  :tease:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
And he does lose, look at his hot air balloon failures  :tease:

That always surprised me. I'd have thought that Branson would be right up there with Bernie and Briatore when it comes to hot air!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »

And he does lose, look at his hot air balloon failures  :tease:

That always surprised me. I'd have thought that Branson would be right up there with Bernie and Briatore when it comes to hot air!

:DD :DD

Very nearly right Cos, however he is out in front of those two. Branson's view of things amounts to outrageous twaddle which puts him right alongside Mad Max.  :D  :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:10 AM »
Branson is a champion of self-promotion and marketing. All flash and no go.
He has sold his brand to the masses by smartly telling the great unwashed that they will be better people if they buy his stuff, fly his airline, use his phones etc.
 F1 will be no different for him. He will do all in his power to focus on the size of his paddock techno centre, computer prowess and take the focus from the lack of race success.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle