collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: We have told Alonso to be team player says Luca  (Read 1617 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
We have told Alonso to be team player says Luca
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »

How long before Luca has to step in and remind Ferd about the Ferrari way ... 3, 4 or more races in? 
Nice to see Luca still remembers Surtees  :good: and that the relationship fell apart between him & Enzo.

Onestopstrategy.com, Today.

Luca di Montezemolo has admitted Ferrari was concerned Fernando Alonso might not be a team player.

Speaking with international reporters at a Christmas dinner on Friday, the Ferrari president was asked about the Spaniard's reputation and personality, including how his relationship with McLaren so badly broke down in 2007.

"I spoke about these elements with (Stefano) Domenicali maybe 1000 times, not 100, 1000 times, and I spoke with Alonso," he said. "I told him: 'If you come to drive for us, you drive for a team, you drive for a group, you don't drive for yourself.

"If you want your own team, then fantastic you do your own team,  like John Surtees. In Ferrari we want to put you in the best condition to win. If not, we will never hire you," said Montezemolo.

He also clarified that Santander, Ferrari's major new Spanish sponsor, did not demand that Alonso join the team, as was suggested in an interview this week by Kimi Raikkonen.

"Certainly, they (Santander) are happy, but it is not the sponsors that choose the drivers: we have never operated like that and we never will," said Montezemolo.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

david1275

Re: We have told Alonso to be team player says Luca
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »
IMO Alonso will slot in nicely.

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »
I am intrigued to see how Alonso behaves, surely he must have learned his lessons from last time?  However, I do think Ferrari will treat FA more like their new hero than McLaren did, especially if Schumi does move to Mercedes (given he must be Massa's biggest fan!)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
I'm not hopeful that Alonso can suddenly become a "team player," but it will be interesting to watch.

If all else fails, maybe he can go to the WRC in 2011.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Hampster

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
i think alonso with fit in very nicely into ferrari for the first 3 or 4 races, and then he will realise he is number 2 to massa.

david1275

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
i think alonso with fit in very nicely into ferrari for the first 3 or 4 races, and then he will realise he is number 2 to massa.

I hope Massa comes back strong enough to make that a possibility.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
When was the last time both Ferrari drivers were considered 'team players'?

The closest I can think of is when Schumacher reluctantly came back from his broken leg to back up Irvine.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »

Oh that I seriously doubt.  Unless the knock in the head made Massa a better driver, he won't be #1 to Alonzo.  There is simply no question that Alonzo is a much better and faster driver than Massa.  If Ferrari supports Massa as #1 driver out of emotion, then they are in more trouble than I ever thought.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »

Oh that I seriously doubt.  Unless the knock in the head made Massa a better driver, he won't be #1 to Alonzo.  There is simply no question that Alonzo is a much better and faster driver than Massa.  If Ferrari supports Massa as #1 driver out of emotion, then they are in more trouble than I ever thought.

Massa was outperforming Kimi in 2009 before the accident.  I've heard that Kimi is a pretty good driver.  Even won a world championship in an inferior car once.

Based on past performance, I'd have to say that Alonso is the better driver.  However, based on recent career progress, it wouldn't seem far fetched for Massa to be the top performer at Ferrari (medical history is such a wild card... Schumacher won his first Ferrari championship after a major injury).

I'm sure Ferrari will back the best man.  I'd even confidently say that Massa will slip into a supporting role if called upon.  The question is if Alonso can do that.  Ferrari is laying the grou

If Ferrari finds themselves in the same position McLaren did a few years ago, will they pick a driver to win?  If so, will they go with loyal Massa?  Highly paid Alonso?

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Remember, we're talking about Ferrari. Massa will be the returning Favorite Son who shed his blood for the team. Alonso will be the outsider.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
I don't think that will matter.  I still go with the salary - Alonzo is worth more to the team, ergo, he is #1.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »
I don't think that will matter.  I still go with the salary - Alonzo is worth more to the team, ergo, he is #1.

Actually, if we have three straight WDC on budget salaries, it will help the teams immensely, Ferrari included.  If the affordable guys beat the expensive guys, why bother handing out expensive contracts?

Of course, if I'm the one who signed Alonso, I'm going to push to make sure my decision looks like a good one, especially if I'm also the one who paid Kimi not to race.

david1275

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
Remember, we're talking about Ferrari. Massa will be the returning Favorite Son who shed his blood for the team. Alonso will be the outsider.

Alonso's position as a double world champion commands the big salary, but I think Massa will start the season very much on a level footing.

I don't believe Ferrari would take on Alonso to make him feel like the outsider, on the contrary I know he will be welcomed into the team with open arms. I know Kimi always seemed a bit of an outsider or at least he did to me, but that's Kimi.

I personally can't wait to see our new team kick ass.  :yahoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle